ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Riding Gear, Equipment & Services > Helmets

Helmets Do you have a favorite helmet? Put your reviews of it here.

Old January 4th, 2013   #11
maura
Super Moderator

Default Re: Shoei Multitec Closeout Sale

Even if comfortable in the store , the true test is after a full day riding. I had the sys max, fine for around town, fine if you never ride for more than an hour or two, but excruciating after 5 or 6 hours. The fabric liner is cheap and irritating. It is noisy compared to Shoei or other higher quality helmets. My life moto life was transformed when I got a Schuberth C2 , now also have the C3. That is a great price on the Shoei

YMMV, just my experience.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013   #12
Blue One

The HJC Symax was the worst helmet I ever owned, uncomfortable and noisy I sold it as quickly as I could.

Shoei on the other hand always fits me well and they make a far superior product to anything HJC make.

HJC is a lower end helmet Shoei is on the upper end of quality.

Last edited by Blue One; January 4th, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Blue One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013   #13
TimM

I hear a motor oil discussion brewing here...
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013   #14
echo

Well maybe but its good to hear what others have to say about things.
Old January 5th, 2013   #15
TimM

Personal preference aside... sometimes we like what we like without reason.

For me, it just isn't worth spending extra for a helmet that just as easily could be assembled by someone having a bad day in Germany as in China. No, I don't want to get into the Italian bikes are better than Japanese bikes discussion... but aren't helmets just a layer of hard stuff protecting a layer of soft stuff?

Whether Polyester and fiberglass over EPS is better than Polyethylene or ABS over EPS is probably worth a plummet into science, neither will protect you from a an impact into a sharp object, a broken neck, a crushed sternum, a broken leg, etc.

And statistically speaking, any helmet is much better than no helmet. The fact you wear one even appears to reduce by 10% the chance you'll crash in the first place. As for real honest and publicly available stats showing an expensive helmet protects riders in real crashes better than cheap helmets? I've looked occasionally when shopping for helmets, and I'm not so sure they exist. As for vendor stated stats? Well, being in marketing I know what most of my peers do with facts.

Again, its a personal choice. Fit, comfort, etc. Yes, I've tried on the occasional $700 helmet; but funny as it sounds, they don't fit my head shape. So rather than spend $700 on an uncomfortable helmet, I'll spend $250 on the comfortable and light off-brand carbon fiber helmet that meets DOT and $450 on better tires, lights, body armor, etc.

That said, Shoei was the goto brand when I started this sport. Always at a good price/performance spot. I just wish they fit me.
Old January 5th, 2013   #16
echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
Personal preference aside... sometimes we like what we like without reason.

See I learned something from your post I didnt know before! Its always good to listen to others because:

they might be right and you might be wrong

they might see a side of it that you dont (even if they are mostly wrong)

its good to understand why we disagree or agree with others and subject our opinions to trial by fire.

I find people usually have a reason for thinking like they do.

But not always!
Old January 5th, 2013   #17
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 113 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
I find people usually have a reason for thinking like they do.

But not always!
No, we always have some reason. It might be wrong, but there has to be a reason.

If a helmet is not comfortable then it probably does not fit your head properly. Thus, it does not protect as well.

Anyone can tell the difference in quality between a HJC and a Shoei just by looking. BUT!!! The Shoei might not be the best choice for everyone. My Nolan fits my head very well, slots in nicely quality wise between the HJC and the Shoei, and the price also is in between. Of course, it is noisy on my ST.

I have here on my desk a copy of MotorCyclist from June 2005. They ran a series of tests on almost every available helmet in the U.S. in an attempt to force DOT and Snell to modernize their test criteria. It worked.

You might find it interesting that the second cheapest helmet in the test, a Z1R, ZRP-1 came out #1 in their testing. This was due to a softer construction. The Arai they tested came out 3rd worst.

I don't choose a helmet based on price. I choose it for how it fits and if it has the features I require. A helmet that I need only for my 13 minute work commute does not need to be perfect. A helmet I will be wearing all day, every day for a 10+ day trip must be perfect.
Old January 5th, 2013   #18
TimM

The latest info is that SNELL is now testing to standard 180 degrees from what they tested years ago; seems stout have given way and its now better to flex than to break, so to speak. DOT is probably doing similar things.
Old January 5th, 2013   #19
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 155 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I went from a loud, noisy on the ST1300 Schuberth C2, to an HJC Symax and a Seven Zero Seven, that are both much quieter.

I liked everything about the Schuberth but the noise.

Someday, I may try a Shoei Neo-Tec.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013   #20
rodm850g

I tried out the new Shoei and the new HJC RPHA what ever both fiberglass, both noisy....going back to an Arai...prolly a RXQ.....they fit my head and are quiet....what works for me might not work for someone else...its all about the fit...I did buy on a lark the Symax last version...what ever it is...loudest helmet I ever owned....its a fiberglas unit w/ a plastic front...I do like the shaded drop down in the helmet.....nice touch but its not quiet at all....got to get back to the full face ...
Rod