ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Riding Gear, Equipment & Services > Helmets

Helmets Do you have a favorite helmet? Put your reviews of it here.

Old July 8th, 2011   #1
Blue STreak
Super Moderator

Default Interesting article about potential issue with Symax II helmets....

...and many other flip-ups, possibly:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ip-up-failure/

I make no claims or assertions regarding the report, but it seems important enough to make people aware of it.
Blue STreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011   #2
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 129 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Interesting article about potential issue with Symax II helmets....

Here in the UK/Europe helmets on which the chin bar can be raised are of two categories. One category is the helmet which, with the chin bar locked down, is classified as a full face helmet - the most expensive sorts of flip fronts.
The second category is those that are classified as open face helmets that have a flip front that gives protection against the elements but does not have the strength to gain classification as a full face helmet. Helmets from the two categories tend to look identical to the casual observer. The price is a big clue.

I have a Shoei Multitec - the entire locking mechanism is metal locked to metal and it is a full face helmet when locked. A lot of law enforcement over here use them.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011   #3
Blue STreak
Super Moderator

I have a Multitec, too. The parts I can see are metal, but I don't really know what's hidden behind the chin bar. It does seem sturdier than many of the others, however.

I think the Symax probably counts as a full face helmet in Europe. Hopefully, the helmet reported on is an anomaly.
Blue STreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011   #4
echo

Excellent article!

There is NO WAY these helmets are a strong as a FF helmet. Probably in the majority of accidents that isnt going to be a factor. But what of the ones where it is?

Also its hard to look at pictures of people in motion on a motorcycle with that stupid faceshield flipped up. But I suppose no accidents have occured wihile doing that?

Awesome helmet though. And they were on sale recently for $139!
Old July 8th, 2011   #5
echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickPeake View Post
I have a Shoei Multitec - the entire locking mechanism is metal locked to metal and it is a full face helmet when locked. A lot of law enforcement over here use them.

But arent the metal parts bonded in turn to plastic?
Old July 8th, 2011   #6
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 129 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Yep, they are. Or screwed right through. But I know so many motorcyclists who have done the full face helmet thing and have now moved to the best flip-up's that can be bought because of the sheer convenience of them. Many, many motorcyclists die through body injury rather than head injury. I took my son to the funeral of a friend of his a couple of years ago - the lad slid on a corner - nothing fast or severe, but his body hit a power pole on the exit and he died at the scene from internal injuries. His head was fine, his insides were not. Even worse, my daughter, who knew him, was riding past on her horse coming the other way and could do nothing to help him. Another deceased friend - an excellent and highly qualified motorcyclist, slid off on a slippery road and was run over by a truck - again his head was perfectly intact but his body was mushed. When I had my only (hopefully) proper accident over 35 years ago, I slid along the road for miles on my back like a standed turtle and a metal drain cover at the side of the road took a big lump out of the back of my Boeri helmet. I didn't feel a thing - I didn't even know the helmet was damaged. I got up, pulled the handlebars straight and rode on home.
I guess I'm saying it's a risk management thing - protection has to be taken as a complete solution. You can have the best helmet in the world but if you are wearing jeans and you wrap your body round a street light pole and bust up your lungs, heart and other internals, the specification of the helmet wasn't that relevant. However, I am more than happy to accept that a full face helmet (of which I have a couple) is generally going to be tougher than a flip front of the same price.
Old July 9th, 2011   #7
echo

I wore my FF into the bank once. HILARIOUS! (not!)

Also after wearing my FF into work for 30 years one day the manager of security took exception.

Its nice to be able to ask directions.

Its nice to get gas and take a drink or eat.

(I tell the wife its so I can kiss her goodbye)

Any accident thats going to torque up your helmet prolly gonna do more than a number on the rest of you.

I just cringe when i see riders riding with the face up!
Old July 9th, 2011   #8
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I've been saying for years that I wouldn't buy any of the flipups that only use a plastic latch (like the HJC, etc.).

I've stuck with Schuberth Concepts (i.e., C1, C2, and now want a C3).

Contrary to the article, the C3 is rated as THE lightest and quietiest helmet on the planet (Flip-up or non-flip).
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011   #9
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 156 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I recently bought 2 HJC CL Max.
They are so much quieter than my Schuberth C2 and my Seven 0 Seven.
When I turn my head, I barely hear any wind, at all.
And they were cheap.
I would also like to find a co-signer for a loan, to buy a new Schuberth.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011   #10
DickPeake
Super Moderator

In a former life, I once went to a motorcycle accident where the guy had an open face helmet and came off on the approach to a sharp bend with a pub on one side and the entrance to the pub car park sort of straight on if you didn't make the bend. He surfed on into the car park area on his front and face. I have to say, it wasn't a nice sight. He didn't have much of a chin and mouth left - just a horrible hole. I kept him face down until the ambulance got to us so's he could breath but then he could also see the amount of claret leaking out of him as well. I see someone with an open face helmet - I see that face from 30 years ago!