ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Maintenance & Repair > Tools

Tools Did you just find the coolest tool that made a maintenance task a breeze? Tell us about it here.

Old March 2nd, 2015   #31
v4forever

Default Re: Innovative Torque Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
No reason to get wrapped up in it - you've been punked!
+1

I was going to call on this thread, buy rather, I stayed quiet.
v4forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015   #32
echo

Quote:
I always assumed that Echo's intent posting here is for entertainment rather than informative purposes. This thread is a perfect example. No reason to get wrapped up in it - you've been punked!

You mean to say you don't believe the part about 4500 miles with a loose axle?
Old March 2nd, 2015   #33
chaissos
Donators

I hate to say it, but whenever I see especially bad advice, I feel a need to call it out as such.

There are those who would read it, and assume it was correct. Maybe not any of our regular posters, but some who wander by following a Google search might. I don't feel it's fair to leave anyone hanging out there - regardless of how much they might know. I don't think we should assume everyone knows certain people like we do.
Old March 3rd, 2015   #34
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
I always assumed that Echo's intent posting here is for entertainment rather than informative purposes. This thread is a perfect example. No reason to get wrapped up in it - you've been punked!
The problem for me is I believe there may be someone out there that may take advice freely given and technically inaccurate and end up seriously hurt following shabby advice they believe to be correct.

Edit, just read Chaissos post above and could have added 'I agree' instead.

Last edited by Rob2m; March 3rd, 2015 at 12:52 AM.
Rob2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015   #35
echo

I suppose theres something to what youre saying.

But youre missing the point.

When I found the loose rear axle the Honda dealer forgot to tighten I was angry. I could have been killed! The expensive components held together by the axle might be all screwed up and bent out of alignment and might have to be replaced! Damn them!

But....I wasn't dead. The bike was fine. The loose axle didn't fall out in 4500 miles and it probably wouldn't fall out in another 45,000. It didn't matter if the axle was torqued to 68 ft lbs or whatever it is....or 25 ft lbs or 43 or probably even 15.

The requirement to torque the rear axle (and probably a lot of other things in the torque table) isn't real. But what is real? What does matter?

Remember when bikes came with a tool kit? Now they don't. On my ST11 in 2000 on a trip near Minneapolis where my cousin lives I picked up a clevis pin in my rear tire. My cousins husband noticed the tire was flat in their driveway. I got out the tool kit with that ridiculous cast steel 27mm wrench and that pressed steel handle to increase torque and removed the rear wheel, took it to a shop where they replaced the tire and re installed the rearwheel with that wrench. I had to lay on my back and use my foot on the wrench and handle to get enough force to loosen and tighten the nut! I didn't have a torque wrench and everything was fine and I wore out that rear tire never having torqued the axle.

Now there is no tool kit. You don't have that option anymore. You have to make up your own tool kit. (and I bet it wont include a breaker bar and 27mm socket!)

All because some people have told us you cant use cheap tools to fix your bike. That the nuts and bolts have to be torqued to the values in the table. That when you change your oil and tighten the drian plug without a torque wrench you better bring the bike to your Honda dealer so it can be done RIGHT.

Yes you've all been punked!

But not by me!
Old March 3rd, 2015   #36
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

I come from the school that says there are two ways to do a job - the correct way with the correct tools, or an incorrect way, of which there may be more than one. The end result MAY be the same for a particular job.

Giving advice on the various tips and tricks when carrying out maintenance on the ST1300/ST1100 is fine, for example, how to avoid getting oil on your main stand when changing the oil, but the only correct advice when installing the oil filter afterwards is to follow the procedure and torque settings as laid down by Honda.

If anyone wants to 'do it by hand' because their hand/wrist/arm human torque wrench is highly accurate then feel free to do so. But be very careful about advising others that this is an acceptable and correct way to carry out the task. This applies to any maintenance task.

This thread started off talking about cheap torque wrenches. Again, the best advice must be to use the correct tool, manufactured to a quality sufficient to allow it to do the required job. That may not mean that it has to be an expensive tool in every case.

It is to be hoped that the newer members, or members who are inexperienced in DIY maintenance, are able to separate out the flim-flam, snake oil and dross, often published in this forum, from the thoughtful, well written and correct advice that a number of members contribute.

Caveat: I am making no references to any particular member or members, and no inferences can be drawn from this post in that respect.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015   #37
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

And a loose axle bolt has nothing to do with using a torque wrench or not, It was just overlooked plain and simple.
Old March 3rd, 2015   #38
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

My torque wrench is around 18 inches long and I can't find a way to get it on the oil filter.
And remember, using extensions, or even a deep socket changes the torque value.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015   #39
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
And remember, using extensions, or even a deep socket changes the torque value.
You can get several differing opinions on this but it is generally agreed that until you get into higher torque values and longer,6" and up, extensions there will not be a "twist" factor which causes a smaller torque value to be applied.
Torque Sticks bought in specific torque spec's take into account the length and twist factor. These generally are use in wheel torque applications where the specs will start above 100 ft.lbs..

If you are actually changing the pivot point, extending it, such as in the case of the swingarm special tool to set the torque at the pivot point of the swingarm there is a formula employed to obtain the correct torque. Honda has figured this out for us in a very specific spec involving both the torque spec and the order in which it is obtained.

We are talking about a torque spec of 20 ft.lbs here.
We are not holding a part "in motion" or with the potential to move, cylinder head under pressure for example.
We are simply "crushing" the o-ring on the filter to the specified amount to hold it in place without it coming free or over crushing to a metal on metal situation. It's the metal on metal that makes them such a bitch to remove.

On my ST's oil filter I use a flex socket, the socket has the universal built in.
http://www.kmart.com/craftsman-42-pc...1&blockType=G1

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote