ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > GPS, Navigation & Routing

Old March 6th, 2013   #1
SIDESHOWBOB_ST1300

Default Garmin Zumo 665 - $800.00 Paper Weight

I purchased a Garmin Zumo 665 a few weeks back. So far it is a $800.00 paper weight. It shuts off all the time, sometimes can not load the maps, freezes up etc. I have taken it back to the dealer who installed the latest firmware and maps but it continues to not work correctly.

It would be an awesome GPS if it would work but so far I have had no luck.

I will be returning to the dealer this weekend to see what they can do.

Any advice on what to buy if they can't get it to work?

Thanks,

SSB_ST1300
SIDESHOWBOB_ST1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013   #2
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Garmin Zumo 665 - $800.00 Paper Weight

It's a Garmin so it will work when you get it working right. Have you called Garmin tech support?

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013   #3
maura
Super Moderator

The Garmin 665 is an excellent unit. Yours has a severe problem. You need to call Garmin support . The will help you , or give you an address and a return number, they will fix or more likely replace. Their warranty service is excellent. As it is so new, you might ask the dealer to replace it. This would be much better for you aS in Canada you have to send it to Raytech in Montreal , and they are a PITA.

Map loading problems are often caused by your computer, not Garmin. it is important that you call Garmin support and have them diagnose the problem.

Of course, I am assuming that you have read the user manual , and all the information on the Garmin site regarding downloading and updating maps, and are installing the maps using the latest software. And you have the unit plugged into AC power when you are attempting to do this, not battery power. I do not know if this unit has a battery, but you must have consistent high power from AC to update maps. Also check that your USB cable and port work flawlessly with other devices.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013   #4
SIDESHOWBOB_ST1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
The Garmin 665 is an excellent unit. Yours has a severe problem. You need to call Garmin support . The will help you , or give you an address and a return number, they will fix or more likely replace. Their warranty service is excellent. As it is so new, you might ask the dealer to replace it. This would be much better for you aS in Canada you have to send it to Raytech in Montreal , and they are a PITA.

Map loading problems are often caused by your computer, not Garmin. it is important that you call Garmin support and have them diagnose the problem.

Of course, I am assuming that you have read the user manual , and all the information on the Garmin site regarding downloading and updating maps, and are installing the maps using the latest software. And you have the unit plugged into AC power when you are attempting to do this, not battery power. I do not know if this unit has a battery, but you must have consistent high power from AC to update maps. Also check that your USB cable and port work flawlessly with other devices.
Hi Maura;

I had already taken it back to the dealer once and they updated both the firmware and the maps...but it is still not working. I am going to take it back again this weekend as see if they can get me a new one.I don't feel that after spending 800 bucks that I should be the one call tech support and or sending it back. I am going to make the dealer work for this sale.

I really is quite a cool GPS if it would just work. I think it would be nice to have the sat radio and mp3s on a long trip.

Anyways, thanks again for the advice and i will let you all know what happens.

Thanks,

Rob
SIDESHOWBOB_ST1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013   #5
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Sideshow,

Maura said to call Garmin support, not take it to the dealer. You can try getting it replaced (if your dealer will do that). But, if that doesn't work, do what Maura said and call Garmin support directly. They support is great and they'll stand by their product.

Many are the times where one of my fellow LDRiders have called them and Garmin has fixed or replaced the GPS with no questions asked.

They fixed one of mine that had developed a vapor leak (water vapor getting inside).
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013   #6
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
And you have the unit plugged into AC power when you are attempting to do this, not battery power. I do not know if this unit has a battery, but you must have consistent high power from AC to update maps.
I don't know about the 665, but both my Zumo 550 and Nuvi 1490 are powered from the computer USB connection when updating maps. This occupies the same socket one would use to plug in an AC adapter - can't do both at the same time. Does the 665 have another connector for AC when you have the USB connector occupied by the computer connection???
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013   #7
maura
Super Moderator

I am not familiar with the 665. If the unit has the capacity to be powered by AC , you need to use this cord. Actually it does not need AC , 12 v DC will do it, but powered only by an internal battery won't do.
Many garmin units are not charged via USB, it is used for data transfer only, a seperate connection for power exists.

Garmin support will determine if it is a hardware, software, or user problem. Returning to dealer only addresses a hardware problem. A software problem could easily exist in a replacement unit, and a user problem will not be resolved with a new unit. In my experience , most problems are user problems. Garmin support is excellent, but their user manuals and ease of use of their products , not so much.

2008 Honda ST1300
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
Old March 7th, 2013   #8
maura
Super Moderator

665 is powered by USB. Disregard previous comments on AC / DC power.

2008 Honda ST1300
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
Old March 8th, 2013   #9
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
665 is powered by USB. Disregard previous comments on AC / DC power.
You are forgiven.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013   #10
Marshal_Mercer

I always had to turn off my computer's anti-virus program before connecting to Garmin for updates. You might want to try that.
Marshal_Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote