ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > GPS, Navigation & Routing

Old September 17th, 2011   #1
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Zumo 660 ready to install!

I received the new zumo 660 in the mail yesterday and will be installing it hopefully this week. I put much thought into where/how to mount the thing without compromising my safety or uglying up my bike. I sincerely appreciate all the responses to my question of where to mount it on the bike and took all that info to heart. I mounted the first one on my dad's FJR and used the mount that adds it to the clutch reservoir clamp. It works well on the FJR and would have probably worked for the ST just fine as some of you can attest. I ordered the dash mount that was recommended by gepol and am happy although it is a bit pricey for the small amount of material involved, but it's only $$$ right? I will post pics of the install if Joe Z. promises not to fuss about me using the RAM ball mount.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011   #2
gepol

Default Re: Zumo 660 ready to install!

Have fun installing
Old September 19th, 2011   #3
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Never, ever start a project like this during the day if you are working nights. Honda's engineers left no space in the chassis unused for routing wires. The Garmin engineers that added those bulky plugs to the power cable should be forced to ride from Prudhoe Bay to Key West on a hardtail Harley with no seat, a bad spark plug and a Tom Tom gps. It is done, and I love it. You need an extensive vocabulary of profane words, plenty of patience, and a piece of flexible wire to use as a fishtape to route the wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2381.jpg (84.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2382.jpg (86.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2384.jpg (78.4 KB, 102 views)
Old September 19th, 2011   #4
gepol

Great, now next thing to do is use those lovely little plastic covers for the dash shelf so the allen screws don't show, and be protected
Old September 20th, 2011   #5
Redfish
Donators

Excellent George, you don't miss much! I left those off on purpose. The screws are stainless and so are the four that show out the back of the RAM cradle. I could not cover the ones on the cradle and decided (for now) to leave them exposed to match. The black plastic covers stick up and disrupt the smooth lines of the bracket. I also routed the cable into a different hole in the cowling in an effort to avoid the windshield mechanism. (Thanks for that advice too!)