ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > GPS, Navigation & Routing

Old August 22nd, 2011   #1
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Opinion on mounting zumo 660

I know everyone is different but...I need some opinions on the best location and mount type for the Garmin zumo 660. I have the replacement steering stem cover with the ram ball mounted but I am not sure that the screen will be in the best location. I don't want to divert my attention too far from the road. Do I use what comes in the box with the zumo or do I look into the touratech mount? Any ideas or pictures will be much appreciated.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011   #2
dznx1f
Donators

Default Re: Opinion on mounting zumo 660

As high as you can and directly in front of. I have a dash and the GPS is mounted in the middle above the dash, my eyes stay on the road and I can still see the MPH, and direction I am traveling.
dznx1f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011   #3
Steve

I went with two ram ball locations. The first is on the Heli bar spacer in the middle of the handle bars. The second is a ram mount handle bar ball and is near the clutch lever and reservior. The time of day, direction I am heading and the sun gives me some options. I am using a Tom Tom One Gps that the wife gave me. I visited the Cycle World get together in Seattle and Ram had a booth. I told the Ram rep I needed to mount a GPS on a KLR 650 and a ST-1300. Contact Ram and they will definitely hook you up. Enjoy Steve
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011   #4
Superdirk
Donators

I bought the Zumo 660 first then held it in different locations. I ended up buying the "Migsel" mount which puts the GPS centered above the instruments. It allows good view, and the possibility to change some settings easily while driving.

The Migsel mount is a bit expensive, but looks really nice. There are now two versions, one with RAM mount and one with a direct mount that looks even better but is even more expensive. There are cheaper alternatives that use the same mounting points on the bike and offer the same 3 RAM mounts as the migsel.
Superdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011   #5
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I have VERY strong opinions on this. As high as possible to get it in your line of sight using whatever mounting method you prefer.

I like a dash shelf with a solid, secure mount. I do NOT like RAM ball mounts as it is too easy to steal the GPS and it is not very sturdy as far as vibration goes (i.e., it can work lose and it can bounce the display even if it doesn't work lose).

Mounting a GPS down low on handlebars or low between the handlebars is just plain lazy IMO.

Get the darn thing up high where you can see it AND the road. You're going to be checking it quite a lot so, be safe about it.

I know several people who ran off the road looking down at their GPS or tankbag maps. Don't become one of them.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011   #6
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Excellent info from all. When I bought the bike it had a Motorcycle Larry steering stem cover with the Ram ball. I was so ignorant I did not even know at the time what it was for! I like the look of the Migsell dash mount and I agree that this keeps it closer to my line of sight. I have enough trouble keeping it sticky side down, shiny side up when on a trip anyway. I appreciate all the help, and Joe you are right I am lazy. In this case I am more broke than lazy after the $ for the zumo and will get a dash type mount at first chance. BTW there is no quality dash mount for my dad's FJR, to his disgust.
Old August 22nd, 2011   #7
gepol

I would suggest this shelf, which is very easy to install. It goes nicely with the Zumo, with the RAM bracket and ball. Very sturdy

Old August 23rd, 2011   #8
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Redfish,

Have your father join the FJR Owners' Forums (http://www.fjrowners.com/). I'm sure that there are some ways to mount a GPS up high. A friend of mine and a long-time farkler runs one of them and he ALWAYS mounts his GPS up high. His name is Dale Wilson but, he goes by "Warchild".

Regards,

Joe Zulaski
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old August 24th, 2011   #9
Redfish
Donators

The zumo has arrived and I TEMPORARILY mounted it on the steering stem cover using the short RAM arm that came in the box just to get a look at it. My opinion thus far:
1.This would be acceptable if I were on the interstate, not on unfamiliar roads where I actually need the GPS. I don't have enough attention to devote to sightseeing, dodging cars in my lane and steering the bike without looking down at the GPS. As Keith Code says you have $10 worth of attention, where are you going to spend it?
2.It is difficult to reach around the GPS to insert and turn the key. Not impossible, just not convenient.
3.The GPS looks great, it makes an already good looking motorcycle look even more hi-tech.
4.The overwhelming opinion for the dash mount is confirmed. I will of course try a ride like it is to be sure, but a dash mount is definitely in my future.
5.The gray color of gepol's bike in Greece looks fantastic.
6.Joe Zulaski is always right.
Thank you to all who responded, I will update and post pics when this is done.
Old August 29th, 2011   #10
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

LOL, hardly ever according to my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
<snip>
6.Joe Zulaski is always right.
Thank you to all who responded, I will update and post pics when this is done.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218