ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > GPS, Navigation & Routing

Old January 16th, 2009   #1
Silver bullet 07

Default Ram aqua-box for GPS

Hello all,
Does anyone out there have any experience with the ram aqua-box for your GPS unit? If so do you like them and are they user friendly? I am currently looking for a relatively cheep GPS unit that I can put into the aquabox to waterproof it for motorcycling. If they work, one can save a few bucks versus some of the "motorcyle GPS" units that are quit pricey.
Silver bullet 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009   #2
Rob

Default Re: Ram aqua-box for GPS

For what it's worth:

It's not just the waterproofing. You also want a device which is capable of tolerating the shock and vibration present when used on a motorcycle.

From time-to-time I see people try to use auto-type nav devices on the motorcycle. Or their GPS equipped organizer. The day starts out and the device is not in the waterproof box cause it is difficult to see the display or push buttons or connect to. Then it starts to rain and suddenly they are putting themselves and others at risk stopping in a dangerous place in the rain so they can protect the GPS. Generally it is too late and thing is all wet anyway.

I haven't bought a GPS in a while (as Maura will testify ), but you should be able to get a good price on a new or reconditioned Street Pilot 26xx/27xx/28xx (which are top notch and waterproof to IPX7 standard) which would eliminate the need for waterproofing. Some units have a micro hard drive; you don't want those.

HTH
Old January 17th, 2009   #3
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Howdy,

I have a Wide Aqua Box that I was going to use with a Nuvi unit but, now I've decided not to go that way. Garmin has come out with a waterproof Nuvi unit (a bit pricey, though).

Rob is right in that you can get refurbished 2610's and such for good prices ($180 is what I got mine for). Also, absorbing shock is important as Rob says. The Aqua Boxes take that into account also with cushion pads available all around it inside the box.

But, if you are still interested in an Aqua Box, I'll sell you mine for the price I paid ($50.00) but I'll include shipping. It's never been used.

It's shown here:

http://www.ram-mount.com/aqua_box_mo...wide_mount.htm

Let me know if you're interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver bullet 07 View Post
Hello all,
Does anyone out there have any experience with the ram aqua-box for your GPS unit? If so do you like them and are they user friendly? I am currently looking for a relatively cheep GPS unit that I can put into the aquabox to waterproof it for motorcycling. If they work, one can save a few bucks versus some of the "motorcyle GPS" units that are quit pricey.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009   #4
maura
Super Moderator

How can you use a gps in an aqua box? You can't use the buttons or the touch screen. Years ago, I had a non-waterproof emap on my bike. I just took it off in the rain, or covered it with a plastic bag. I second Joe's suggestion that you get a refurbished waterproof unit, or one of the smaller units that is handheld, or a used one. Those car ones that are not waterproof usually have a power connection in the cradle that will not stand up to bike use.
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009   #5
Andy Kirby

You can if it has a transparent membrane like the one Joe is talking about.

I used to keep my Treo in this box and a friend used his iPhone through the '07 IBR in the same box but it's a bit 'hit and miss' if it works with a lot of the touch screens out there or not. For example my iPhone refuses to work with this particular box at all.

Andy

Andy Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009   #6
maura
Super Moderator

There ya go. Still think it is a less than optimal solution, but then I have a lot of less than optimal aspects to my life,

so if it works for you, awesome!
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009   #7
Andy Kirby

I agree, by the time you buy the box, fix up a mount, work out how to power it you've probably spent as much as you would have dome doing it right in the first place.

Andy
Andy Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009   #8
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I tested my iPhone in it and the touch screen worked fine.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013   #9
chaissos
Donators

I know this is quite old, but I'd like to report MY results with a RAM Aqua-Box for my iPhone (3GS). If everyone else's results are different, well, then I guess it would be a different discussion.

The only thing I liked about it: They accepted it as a return.

What's wrong with it? Well, where to start...
1) The thing itself took me quite a while just to get it together. Since the frame for the box, and the membrane are two separate items, getting them together just proved to be an exercise in frustration. To prove to myself that it wasn't "just a Man thing" I handed the package to the wife. She didn't have any luck with it, either.

2) Once I finally got it all together, the phone was unusable. This plastic membrane was pretty thick. Nothing on the phone would respond - I would be stuck with voice control. The buttons were push-able (I could get it to wake up, mute, sleep, etc), but the screen would not respond.

3) The frame was almost impossible to get together without bending. The membrane seemed to be too think for the frame, and when I finally did get it together, the frame was bent around the edges. There is the possibility that I was sent the wrong membrane. I did spend some time tweaking and adjusting the membrane to make sure it was in correctly (judging by the lines on it). Every minor adjustment in one spot just made it pop out somewhere else...turned that spot into a hole where water could get in.

Scenario: Quick stop for gas, bathroom break, update text to wife/buddy/person meeting you somewhere, back on the road. Not happening with this mount. Having to remove the phone, use it, then put it back in ensures this stop will be a long one.

I recommend against it.
Old February 7th, 2013   #10
Panfan

Well we dont have all the nice gadgets here in SA so I solved the problem with rain etc on my gps by pulling a condom over the gps.works a treat,can still push the buttons,stays dry and very visible
Panfan is offline   Reply With Quote