ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic If it is not ST1300 related, put it here.

Old August 26th, 2017   #11
ibike2havefun

Default Re: Harvey, Texas and me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Mick is fine right now. He says hard rain on and off which is typical of tropical cyclone bands. No flooding...yet.
Thanks for seeing to that, Redfish.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017   #12
Mick
Loquacious Member

Thanks for the concern guys. Just got a text from Redfish.

No power outage in my neighborhood yet although the last I read there were 57,000 without power elsewhere in Houston. We stocked up on food, water and gas a few days ago so we're all set in case we do lose power.

The towns of Rockport & Fulton down the coast near Corpus Christi were right in the path of the eyewall as Harvey crossed the coastline. Hope there is still something left of the town as the storm was a category 4 with 130 mph winds when it made landfall. I managed to catch the weather radar as it hit the barrier island. Rockport & Fulton are at about the 10 o'clock position:

I hope there is more left of Rockport than there were of Holley Beach & Cameron, LA after their encounter with Hurricane Rita back in 2005. About 5 or 6 months after that area got hit, I took the ST on a cruise of southwest Louisiana to see what remained of the damage. What I saw stunned me. Here are some pics:

Holly Beach… totally destroyed. Not a single structure was left standing. Looked like a friggin' nuke went off :

More Holley Beach:

And here's what was left of Cameron, La:

Downtown:

Cameron elementary school:

Last edited by Mick; August 26th, 2017 at 08:25 AM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017   #13
echo

I have a mother and brother in Houston. Mom is in a nursing home and is beyond the point where Philip can put her in a car and take her to safety. Which they've done twice already. Fortunately the play she's in was built recently and is designed for just such an emergency. All the staff have moved their families there. So I guess that's the best possible situation she could be in.

My brother says they get 15 inches of rain all once just about every year so he's not worried.
Old August 26th, 2017   #14
Mick
Loquacious Member

Just occurred to me that the storm should have hit a couple of weeks from now on my birthday which is 9/11 (70 yo). A hurricane on that date could have given me bragging rights to a a double header disaster date.

Last edited by Mick; August 26th, 2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old August 26th, 2017   #15
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Just occurred to me that the storm should have hit a couple of weeks from now on my birthday which is 9/11 (70 yo). A hurricane on that date could have given me bragging rights to a a double header disaster date complete with bragging rights.

I can personally say that you have done enough things to not need any more "bragging rights". Your awesomeness is enough.

I am guessing that Houston will be getting more rain than they want but the winds should not be a factor. But if the Weather Guessers are even close, you are gonna be swimming in the streets soon.
Old August 27th, 2017   #16
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Houston is getting a LOT of rain. Mick is still fine. He and I have exchanged texts this morning.

I hope he doesn't get what we went through here last year. Rebuilding a house after a flood actually takes longer than building a new house.
Old August 27th, 2017   #17
Mick
Loquacious Member

Been a busy and interesting day. Got water in the garage and came very close to getting water in the house.

We are completely stranded. No way to get out of our neighborhood. Wouldn't do any good anyway as most roads & highways around here are flooded.

Right in the middle of a torrential rain squall, I had to frantically raise up my three cars (store outside) about 5" to keep them from getting water inside. It was a real race as the water was rising fast as I worked.

3+- more days of this to go.

My Versys sits getting it's feet wet:

Two of my 3 cars after raising them up:

There is no way to escape right now. Each drop symbol represents high water:

Old August 28th, 2017   #18
chaissos
Donators

Be careful, Mick....it's not over yet.
Old August 28th, 2017   #19
ibike2havefun

Good luck dealing with both the immediate and longer-term impacts of the flooding.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017   #20
echo

My mother and brother, who live in Pearland right by 518 and 288 are OK. But its a near run thing. Philip says another good rainfall and he'll have water in the house. Otherwise he says the water is draining just enough to keep is neighborhood above water. I was able to get him to make as much ice as possible in the freezer. Hoping food wont be an issue in the days to come. Mom is OK in the nursing home but theres no cooked food. Philip can drive there so far...