ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic If it is not ST1300 related, put it here.

Old February 2nd, 2017   #1
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Cat wiring

I bought a new TV and AV receiver. They both have wired and wireless capability.

I want to run network cable, approximately 20 feet from my router, to the TV and receiver.

Which category cable should I use? Cat 5, 6, 6a?

I sometimes have to reboot my cable modem and Netgear WNDR4500 router.

If I need to replace the router, what is the preferred product?
I have Comcast, with Blast as my speed package. It is supposed to be 150 MBPS.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul

Last edited by ligito; February 2nd, 2017 at 12:14 PM.
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017   #2
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: Cat wiring

Wow...I couldn't afford that package. That's a bunch of speed! mine is currently sitting at 50 down, and 5 up. Works fine - I can stream HD to two different TVs with no hiccups, so it's enough for me.

You can't really even get Cat 5 anymore, it was replaced by 5e quite some time back. The mechanical requirements for construction are similar enough taht everyone retooled and just stopped making 5. However, I know that's not your question.

5e is plenty to run 1G Ethernet to your devices over 328 ft. That's actually the end-to-end limit for all category cable. You can use 6, 6a or 8, but 5e would work fine. If you want to go to 10G you'll need 6a, if you go up to 40G, you'll need 8.

Does that answer the wire question?

A buddy of mine has to reboot his stuff all the time, too. We've narrowed it down to his modem. I don't have the model number handy, but it's an Arris of some sort, and frequently locks up. I have a Motorola, and it never locks up. SO...next time you have to reboot, try just doing the modem.

Your router fully supports 1G Ethernet and 802.11G and N wireless. If you decide to upgrade, keep an eye out for the new 802.11AC wireless standard.

802.11G performs to 54Mbits/s,
802.11N can hit 108Mbits/s,
802.11AC is advertised to reach 433.3 Mbits/s.

There are lots of new standards being written all the time, but AC is currently the easiest to get. You can read about them here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Many of the others are still in development, a couple only a thought, and most of the faster ones haven't been released yet. I wouldn't even think about them.
Your router will perform to 1G on all wired connections, and 108M on all wireless connections.

Clear as mud?
Old February 2nd, 2017   #3
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I have had this in place, for around 10 years, for my router and modem.
I've replaced the router, once.
My Arris is a TM722G-CT, it's a telephony modem.
Comcast lists it on my account as incompatible. Max 100 Mbps 4 down 4 up
The newer one says it is an Arris TG822G, Max 214 Mbps 8 down 4 up
Should I get the TG822G?

I read that Comcast upgraded Blast, to 150 Mbps but my account shows 105 Mbps.
If I upgrade, that might change?

Before, you said an AC class modem was not necessary, should I get one, now?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old February 3rd, 2017   #4
chaissos
Donators

If I remember correctly, you also didn't have any devices that use AC. You can upgrade, yes, but you won't see any real benefits from it without the devices to use it.

Speed is (or should be) the reason your current modem isn't compatible. If you're having to reset it all the time, that's an indicator (to me) that it might be a good time to upgrade it.
Old February 3rd, 2017   #5
ligito
Donators

Thank you for the help.
I have a friend's son, that does electronic installation, coming tomorrow to help me take my 10 year old 40 inch flat panel down and put up a 65 inch flat panel.

He may also be able to get my bluetooth headphones to work with my new AV receiver.

I will start shopping for a new telephonics modem and a router.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old February 4th, 2017   #6
chaissos
Donators

As I said above, I can see no reason for anyone in a home situation to go beyond Cat 5e cable. Unless you just happen to have some serious hardware, and want to switch 40G between your desk/laptop and a server, you'll likely never realize the true benefits. Most of the commercial networks I've seen don't even go that far yet. I have seen 40G and working to 100G switching in data centers, but they're audience isn't anything like what you would be using in your home. I'm quite happy switching at 1G speeds here in the house. Still, the outside connection is my slow spot, but I get quite enough speed to support the habits of us, and all our visitors.
Old February 4th, 2017   #7
ligito
Donators

He installed my TV, today. Samsung UN65K8000.
I've had the old one for around 10 years and wanted to upgrade.
Comcast says they only have one telephony modem that isn't a gateway combo and that is a TM822G.

I will buy one when I can find a good price and have Cat5e installed.
We still can't make my Bluetooth headphones work with my new receiver.
Which AC router do you suggest?

My test results are here: http://speedtestbeta.xfinity.com/res...YRYPD1PJLHTTIE

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul

Last edited by ligito; February 4th, 2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old February 5th, 2017   #8
chaissos
Donators

OK, wow...if you're paying for that 150MB service, they either need to fix your connection, or refund some $$$. That link shows you at 32 mega "bits" per second, nowhere near what you're paying for. Your current modem is listed as being compatible for up to 160Mbps. Why is it not compatible? Is there a list?

The TM822G/CT is advertised at 343 Mbps, Compatible with Xfinity® Voice & Internet Service, and perhaps the most important, IPv4 & IPv6 Support.

I used this page to see what devices you can use. At 150M, there were a few, but only 2 with telephony, both by Arris. The reason everyone else isn't doing that is because the home telephony market - unless you're a business - is shrinking fast. Very few people are actually keeping home phones of any sort. I don't have one anymore. As one guy at work said Friday: "That's SO 90's." Our mobile's have every capability and more than any home phone, and no one was even using my home phone when I had one. With my portables constantly running out of juice, replacing batteries all the time, AND paying for the service, it just wasn't worth the money. Obviously, YMMV.

Here are my results - to the same server you used, and I'm just a little bit away from you. Texas isn't exactly right next to Denver.

You can get Cat5e at just about any home improvement store. Measure how long of a patch cable you need, and just go get one. They come in all different lengths, 1ft to 50ft. Someone with the tools can make a custom length, but that may be more trouble than it's worth.

For AC routers, for me, personally, I like Cisco gear. Linksys is now owned by Cisco, so I would probably get one of theirs. I'm actually looking to get a new POE AC access point (which will probably be a straight Cisco device), so I can put it in the middle of the house, and power it from the switch. That way, I can run a single Cat5e or 6 (probably 6A) cable, and not have to make a big hole anywhere and run power. I haven't selected one yet, though. The gear I get tends to be more expensive than most people - but I buy my stuff for years. My desktop is currently almost 8 years old. My servers are 12, 12 and 4. My laptops are all new-ish, but not my serious hardware. Two fairly new Cisco routers, Netgear ProSafe (the only Netgear line I will get) switch, HP Color laser printer, all newer stuff, all on UPS's (except the printer - a laser printer would kill a UPS fast). Everything I have is fully updated and automated. I'm also a computer nut from way back (late 70s), and computers are both my job and my hobby. I wouldn't expect anyone to get the kind of gear I do.

Last edited by chaissos; February 5th, 2017 at 06:17 AM.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017   #9
ligito
Donators

I visited the Comcast store today. They said my modem is incompatible because they have bumped the Blast Pro Internet package up to 200 Mbps and the modem can't keep up.

Which one, on this page, at Best Buy? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...DBrand~Linksys

Here are some from Linksys. What would you choose for my house?http://www.linksys.com/us/wireless-r...9627F16B6E231/

My house is 800 square feet.
My router is about 20 feet away from my wireless laptop and about 10 feet from my AV receiver and TV.

I ordered the TM822G modem.

I use an APC Smart UPs and have since I had a Gateway 486.
Yes, I have upgraded it, over the years.
I may get one for the new TV.

How do I use my Fax, if I don't have a land line?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul

Last edited by ligito; February 5th, 2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old February 5th, 2017   #10
chaissos
Donators

Fax? Surely you jest. You still have people who use fax machines?

I simply don't use them. I scan my documents and e-mail them. Trust me, a cheap scanner can be had for the price of a couple months payments. Half the print/scan/fax "printers" out there can do it, and you most likely have one somewhere. Even if the ink has all dried out, they'll still scan.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts if you ask, they'll be more than happy to never touch the fax machine again. It's just extra work, and it's far easier to store electronic documents than paper - which fades in a few months, anyway.

I'll have to look through the list.