ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic If it is not ST1300 related, put it here.

Old October 30th, 2016   #1
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default New life in old laptop

I bought a new Dell XPS13 laptop in August, because my 5 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop was ailing.

Just had my grandson install my new 960 GB SanDisk SSD and the laptop has grown wings. It is so much faster, booting and responding, than it was with the hard drive.

I didn't realize, earlier, that it was that old, as in my experience, hard drives that live more than 3 years, are an exception and I don't expect anymore than that.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016   #2
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: New life in old laptop

HDDs normally last well into 5 years and beyond (the normal warranty up until a couple years ago was, in fact, 5 years). However, it's the operating system - and the amount of crap people load that tends to cause the majority of problems.

I would normally just reload a system to clear it of crap. It does happen - and quite often. It's a well known and established fact that lots of programs will install, incorporate their dynamic link libraries (DLL)'s into the OS, and then never remove them properly. That leads to your system loading a bunch of stuff it doesn't ever need. Mostly, people don't even know it's happening.

I see a lot of well meaning folks who download something "cool" and install it. In and of itself, that's not typically a big problem. But, behind the scenes, that program will install a bunch of other crap - and that's the problem. The main program typically goes away...but the other stuff hangs around. I see it all the time.

The SSD will, however, bring new life to older (and even new) machines because they can be so fast. Enjoy. And keep it clean (and be ready to reload).
Old October 31st, 2016   #3
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

In relation to SSD's, look up wear levelling:

http://blog.krollontrack.co.uk/makin...mise-life-ssd/
OR
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_leveling
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016   #4
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
HDDs normally last well into 5 years and beyond (the normal warranty up until a couple years ago was, in fact, 5 years). However, it's the operating system - and the amount of crap people load that tends to cause the majority of problems.

I would normally just reload a system to clear it of crap. It does happen - and quite often. It's a well known and established fact that lots of programs will install, incorporate their dynamic link libraries (DLL)'s into the OS, and then never remove them properly. That leads to your system loading a bunch of stuff it doesn't ever need. Mostly, people don't even know it's happening.

I see a lot of well meaning folks who download something "cool" and install it. In and of itself, that's not typically a big problem. But, behind the scenes, that program will install a bunch of other crap - and that's the problem. The main program typically goes away...but the other stuff hangs around. I see it all the time.

The SSD will, however, bring new life to older (and even new) machines because they can be so fast. Enjoy. And keep it clean (and be ready to reload).
My hard drive was locking up frequently.
We ran a Linux app that said the hard drive was failing.
I haven't bought any Seagate drives in years, because of bad experiences, one of them bit the dust in the first month of service.
I usually get WD drives. This is my first SSD.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old November 3rd, 2016   #5
chaissos
Donators

I've got a bunch of Seagate's running now. 6 of them running my Exchange server, Raid5, and they're now almost 10 years old. I have a few spare in the drive caddies should one pop up with a problem, but haven't had one yet. I've seen drives from Toshiba, Samsung, Seagate and WD all fail. It's the luck of the draw. I don't worry too much about it, but if I have a choice, Seagate is my go-to. They've always supported every failure that was in warranty. When you're dealing with multiple (I think we had about 30) servers, each with 8-10 drives, and not one failure in 5 years....yeah, I'll stick with Seagate. That doesn't count all the 5000 workstations on the network (that's a real number, it was just over that), and the one failure wasn't at work - it was at my house.
Old November 4th, 2016   #6
ligito
Donators

My experience pales, compared to yours.
I didn't like that Seagate sent me a refurbished drive, to replace the one that died in the first month.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old November 4th, 2016   #7
OTRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
I didn't like that Seagate sent me a refurbished drive, to replace the one that died in the first month.
I've had better luck with refurbished than new.....
OTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016   #8
chaissos
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
Date codes. They're important. Refurbished are fine, as long as the drive age is the same.

You can download another free little program that will interrogate the drive, and give you it's real stats - what it's actually doing. There are a bunch of things you can look for, like re-writes in the case if a failed verify and bad sector counts. Passmark is a good one, and it's kinda cool. However, you need to know what you're looking at before any panic sets in. There's a bunch of information it tracks, and it's not represented in any "good" or "bad" columns - just information. Sometimes there's a help button that can describe what the different stats are, and what they mean. Other times, Google is your friend.

Last edited by chaissos; November 10th, 2016 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added hyperlinks
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016   #9
ligito
Donators

Thanks for the information.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old November 11th, 2016   #10
chaissos
Donators

Ligito, I'm here for ya. As well as a few others. Post up any questions, and I'll do my best.