ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2017   #1
Georgia dawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Middle Georgia
Posts: 146
Rep Power: 0 Georgia dawg can only hope to improve
Default Trikes

Just curious, what do you guys think of when you see a "trike"? To me, all the macho goes away when a Harley is made into a trike.
Georgia dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017   #2
PaulRB
The Grouch
 
PaulRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest U.S.
Posts: 2,832
Rep Power: 89 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Trikes

Harley actually makes trikes.
The current model the Freewheeler can trace it's roots back to 1932 and the Servi-Car (1932-1973).

It makes sense for Harley to have re-entered this market.
They know they have a aging owner base and three wheels can deliver the motorcycle "experience" to those that tip-over at stop lights.

The Way Back Machine - On.

The first motorcycle I ever "road" was a Harley Servi-Car.
My Grandfather owned a fleet of Taxi's in Baltimore Maryland.
He had several Servi-Cars used to dash out to fix a flat or tow a dead taxi, some model Servi-Cars came with tow bars.

To entertain, what would certainly be called a gang today, of five or six 6 year old boys he gave us a Servi-Car with no engine.
We would push/pull all morning long the Servi-Car up the hill behind his place for the ten second "ride" to the bottom.
Engine noise supplied by the two guys that rode where the engine would have been.
Big fun until we dropped the front wheel into the Trollycar tracks one day and spit one cylinder of the engine noise makers out introducing Road Rash to the gang. ATGATT was unknown at the time.
By popular demand, The Mommies, our motorcycling days ended.
Or so The Mommies thought.

Found memories.
That is what I think when I see a Trike don't care who makes it.


Paul
__________________
STOC 3499

Last edited by PaulRB; April 23rd, 2017 at 05:38 AM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017   #3
LEINADEUGAL
Donators
 
LEINADEUGAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Frelighsburg,Quebec,Canada
Posts: 639
Rep Power: 114 LEINADEUGAL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
The Way Back Machine - On.

The first motorcycle I ever "road" was a Harley Servi-Car.
My Grandfather owned a fleet of Taxi's in Baltimore Maryland.
He had several Servi-Cars used to dash out to fix a flat or tow a dead taxi, some model Servi-Cars came with tow bars.

To entertain, what would certainly be called a gang today, of five or six 6 year old boys he gave us a Servi-Car with no engine.
We would push/pull all morning long the Servi-Car up the hill behind his place for the ten second "ride" to the bottom.
Engine noise supplied by the two guys that rode where the engine would have been.
Big fun until we dropped the front wheel into the Trollycar tracks one day and spit one cylinder of the engine noise makers out introducing Road Rash to the gang. ATGATT was unknown at the time.
By popular demand, The Mommies, our motorcycling days ended.
Or so The Mommies thought.

Found memories.
That is what I think when I see a Trike don't care who makes it.


Paul
I am not a Harley fan and never was , but this story was really fun to read . . . Thanks Paul for this morning smile . . .

Daniel
LEINADEUGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017   #4
echo
The sky is falling...
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,583
Rep Power: 112 echo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia dawg View Post
Just curious, what do you guys think of when you see a "trike"? To me, all the macho goes away when a Harley is made into a trike.
If they extend older riders careers I'm all for them.

I do wonder how stabil they are. I imagine the two wheels first models do better than the conventional setup.
__________________
The Sky Is Falling?

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017   #5
Redfish
Donators
 
Redfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Posts: 2,770
Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Trikes

While I enjoyed Paul's excellent story and I am aware of the honorable history of the Harley Servi-Cars, I am with Georgia Dawg on this one. Well, mostly.

I find it difficult to give my customary "motorcycle" wave to a trike. They are not motorcycles. I never feel that just because they are sitting on a motorcycle seat looking over motorcycle handlebars that they are True Motor Cycle Riders.

The exception to this, and it is fairly common, is when I see a disabled person riding a trike. This is particularly true when I see a disabled service veteran with a prosthetic leg or legs riding a trike. I say more power to those folks.

Pop has always said that when he can no longer ride on two wheels he will just get a convertible sports car. A nice Camaro or Mustang convertible would be nice. He has adamantly refused to consider any form of trike.
__________________
Never run out of traction, ideas and real estate all at the same time.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017   #6
PaulRB
The Grouch
 
PaulRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest U.S.
Posts: 2,832
Rep Power: 89 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Trikes

Who has actually ridden one?

I spent a day on one, 400 miles or so.
GoldWing 1800 Lehman Trike I believe it was.
Flat land to 9,500 ft twisty's.

Interesting. You don't see one in my garage though.


Paul
__________________
STOC 3499
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017   #7
Georgia dawg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Middle Georgia
Posts: 146
Rep Power: 0 Georgia dawg can only hope to improve
Default Re: Trikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
While I enjoyed Paul's excellent story and I am aware of the honorable history of the Harley Servi-Cars, I am with Georgia Dawg on this one. Well, mostly.

I find it difficult to give my customary "motorcycle" wave to a trike. They are not motorcycles. I never feel that just because they are sitting on a motorcycle seat looking over motorcycle handlebars that they are True Motor Cycle Riders.

The exception to this, and it is fairly common, is when I see a disabled person riding a trike. This is particularly true when I see a disabled service veteran with a prosthetic leg or legs riding a trike. I say more power to those folks.

Pop has always said that when he can no longer ride on two wheels he will just get a convertible sports car. A nice Camaro or Mustang convertible would be nice. He has adamantly refused to consider any form of trike.
Absolutely agree with this. I am deeply appreciative of the sacrifices our wounded warriors have made. If a trike gives them a way to experience motorcycling, that's fantastic. I met a man last year who was driving a Polaris Slingshot. He was a veteran that had to use a walker for mobility. We talked for a good while. Like Redfish, I don't view a trike as a motorcycle.
Georgia dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017   #8
ligito
Donators
 
ligito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 4,004
Rep Power: 150 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Trikes

I might consider a Can Am Spyder, though, except for the price.
As long as it has the feet back, not forward, footboards.
I don't do feet forward.
__________________
IBAN Old Fart

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017   #9
drbuzzard
Senior Member
 
drbuzzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: 42.23n/83.33w/636
Posts: 183
Rep Power: 0 drbuzzard can only hope to improve
Default Re: Trikes

I thought about getting a goldwing trike about six years ago but there is not enough room for it at the house
__________________
'93 gl 1500se
'99 ST 1100
'79 super-K
STOC 8900
IBA 58509
mile eater
HAT
drbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017   #10
suprasabre
Member
 
suprasabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Murrieta California
Posts: 54
Rep Power: 0 suprasabre can only hope to improve
Default Re: Trikes

If it ever comes to it, I'll just convert one of my ST1300 to a trike!
__________________
Bob - STOC 5901
2010 ST1300 - 66K Apr 2013 - current
2004#2 ST1300 - 26K Apr 2014 - current
2012 ST1300 - 14K Sep 2015 - current
2004#1 ST1300 - 37K miles - Feb 12 - current, needs waterpump/restoration
2005 ST1300 - 174.3K miles (Nov 05, sold to #2 son, in Portland -June 2013)
suprasabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2011 ST1300.US.COM