ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old August 30th, 2016   #11
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: Turn Front Wheel Around?

Danger Will Robinson!
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016   #12
ibike2havefun

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay3rd View Post
Why would a rear tire mounted on the front rim be running backwards? Would you not just mount the tire on the wheel so that it is turning the correct direction?
I have the same question. The wheels on my ST rotate in the same direction; what is it that makes a rear tire think it needs to be turned around if it is mounted on the front?

Uneducated minds crave knowledge. Not that I have any intention, ever, of trying this on any bike I will ever ride, just curious.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016   #13
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 85 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Just like on the motorcycle tire auto tires, that are directional, will have a arrow indication direction.

Tires with a Arrow are referred to as Unidirectional.
Asymmetrical tires will be marked "inside" and "outside".

It's all about tread pattern and how it sheds water and other things like heat.

And back to the original question.
Can the wheel just be turned around?
No it can not.
The Wheel is directional. It has a Arrow showing the direction of mounting.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; August 30th, 2016 at 05:41 PM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016   #14
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post

It's all about tread pattern and how it sheds water
Is what I have read. The difference between front tires and rears being one is driven, the other just rotates so as a rear is usually driven it sheds water differently to how it would if it was pushed. Hence using it in reverse if it is fitted as a front is the theory.

Of course if it was genuinely manufactured that way, I'd imagine the manufacturers would add rotational information in either direction depending on front or rear use, for some reason they don't!
Old August 31st, 2016   #15
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 85 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

We are starting to see direction arrows.
Higher end vehicles and any tire sold as "All Weather"
Higher end simply because they tend to use higher end tires.
All Weather because they a designed to shed water,slush, snow, and such.
The first hint their is a direction is in rotating the tires.
The owners manual will tell if the tire goes front to back rotation or if a X pattern is acceptable.

All of this takes two things into account.
Owners read the operators manual.
Owners look at their tires.
Neither has good records in the U.S..

Paul
Old August 31st, 2016   #16
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 105 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay3rd View Post
Why would a rear tire mounted on the front rim be running backwards? Would you not just mount the tire on the wheel so that it is turning the correct direction?
My logic on this is that with MOST of the currently available modern tires that fit the ST the front and rear tread pattern is obviously different. The rear tire is usually some version of a "tractor" tread which cleans/clears itself and benefits from the propulsion of the engine's power.

The front tread is usually a version of a tractor tire turned backwards. The force that turns the front and therefore forces water out of the tread comes from the road surface itself.

It seems fairly obvious and logical to me but I may not be explaining it very well.
Old September 4th, 2016   #17
Yaesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Isn't the bt45 meant for smaller lighter bikes?

The front wheel can't turned 180 degrees. It only fits one way.

Cupping could be prevented by inflating the tires on an St to 42 psi.
Thanks for your direct answer to my question. I run 40 to 42 psi, but I admit that I don't check the inflation as often as I should.

I have been running the BT-45 on all of my bikes for several years and they all have a cupping problem, some more than others. I have run them in the correct rotation and reversed rotation and have found no difference in cupping or handling either way.

I presume that the wheel is not symmetrical along its axis as being the reason why it can't be flipped around 180 degrees. If I had a tire changer I'd simply flip the tire to the other direction.
Yaesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016   #18
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaesu View Post
Thanks for your direct answer to my question. I run 40 to 42 psi, but I admit that I don't check the inflation as often as I should.

I have been running the BT-45 on all of my bikes for several years and they all have a cupping problem, some more than others. I have run them in the correct rotation and reversed rotation and have found no difference in cupping or handling either way.

I presume that the wheel is not symmetrical along its axis as being the reason why it can't be flipped around 180 degrees. If I had a tire changer I'd simply flip the tire to the other direction.
My first ST11 way back when came with a worn out cupped front tire. When I test rode it....yikes it was very difficult to deal with. Id never seen a cupped tire but figured the problem was the cupping. I almost didnt buy the bike because of that. Id never ridden that heavy a bike before. The handling was truly screwed up especially turning from a stop.

I think the replacement tire cupped also and I was using published inflation figures. Somehow I dont remember I learned to run 42 psi front and back. Never had a problem with cupping since. Ive seen many posts about cupping and many replies about dealing with it by using 42 psi.

I always assumed that was the fix.

I also assume perhaps incorrectly that directional arrows are knee jerk reactions on the part of manufacturers to liability problems stemming from other mysterious issues probably impossible to diagnose. (but I would bet the problems were due something the owner did!) All of a sudden after 100 years of motoring they popped up!

Certainly I used tires other than those listed in the owners manuals without ill effect. Also mixed radials and bias ply successfully despite dire warnings in the OM.

Perhaps I should mention I almost never rode higher than 3/10s in corners, cant remember finding anything but the correct psi in a tire plus or minus and while I did see exactly how fast each new bike would go in a straight line with the throttle pegged when I first got it, that was the only time I did that.

Im thinking the spacers on either side of the front wheel are different lenths to prevent installation anything but one way.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!

Last edited by echo; September 4th, 2016 at 11:15 AM.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016   #19
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 147 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Plus brake disc, ABS etc.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016   #20
PaulRB
ST Guru

***TROLL ALERT***

Please ignore Anything/Everything Echo posts on any/every subject.
Replies should be considered Feeding The Troll.
He has a 100% history of inaccurate, misleading, and dangerous postings.
New owners are his particular target.
If you have questions on any subject ST related, or any subject, by all means ask them.
There is a wealth of accurate information available on this site offered by those that know the subject.
Paul

Stop the Troll.
On the sites main page under the St Banner you will see User CP.
This is the control panel for the sites functions at your end.
Click User CP.
Scroll down to Settings & Options.
Find Edit Ignore List.
Type in Echo
Click OK
You’re Done.

As he continues Trolling you will see that he has posted but you will not see his post, it will tell you he is on your Ignore List. Hopefully if The Troll gets no response of any kind to his postings he will get the idea his posting are not worth the time and trouble to read let along reply to and go away.