ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old October 16th, 2016   #1
Guaglio

Default My ride

Hi all,
First off, allow me to re-introduce myself as I've been gone a while. I've lurked, and even posted once in a while, but have been gone a lot.
My trip started out on September 2nd; I got up early, pointed the nose north, and took off headed toward Fargo North Dakota. Arriving, I stopped, got gas, stretched, and continued west on I 94, I didnt intend to slab the trip, but time constraints dictated otherwise. I rode another 75 miles, stopped, had lunch, and continued on west till I got to the "Painted Canyon national park", it's very interesting, and worth the stop. After spending some time to explore, I headed on toward Billings Montana, and my final stop of the day.
I stopped in Mile City for dinner , and had trout almondine! No pics, but trust me it was delicious. It was close to 6:30, so I wanted to get going and be in Billings before too late.
I arrived around 8:30, and quickly unloaded the bike to get some sleep for the night. Once I started to unwind I remember seeing a lot of bikes in the parking lot, so I went downstairs, had an adult beverage and started talking to some people finding out that the Wingding was going on. We talked a little, and I went to my room for another long ride. Days total:792
Guaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016   #2
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 147 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My ride

Welcome back

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016   #3
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 105 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

It would be nice to have at least a pic of that expensive Aerostich. Just sayin...

Is there more?
Old October 16th, 2016   #4
Guaglio

I woke up the next morning feeling pretty refreshed, a good nights sleep, a shower, and a fantastic breakfast. Filled up, I filled up the bike, and headed toward the Bear Tooth pass, when I got to Red Lodge, I noticed that the temp had dipped into the low 50's; knowing they'd only descend, as I climbed, I added a layer for the ascent into the mountains. The motor was purring as she always does, performing like a well tuned athlete, I've never had issues with my bike, and thankfully, I have some really good friends that teach me to maintain it, to keep it that way. I was taking sweepers left and right and just enjoying the beauty of this country. If you've never done this pass, you owe it to yourself to take it, by car (agast!) Or by motorcycle. I got to the overlook, snapped some pics, and took off. My plan was to go through Yellowstone, and find a place to camp. There were a lot of cars, and more bikes, than I thought there would be on the pass, and it was more comforting knowing how many bikes were on the road this late in the year. I stopped at the BearTooth cafe, had a bison burger, fries, and a coke...and water. Man, riding really makes you dehydrated! I've heard Joe preach it before, and I respect his knowledge more so, after this ride.
Old October 16th, 2016   #5
Guaglio

Resized_]http:// Resized_20160903_105434.jpg[/IMG]

So, this is a pic of the BearTooth, and the overpas.

http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1476659136
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160903_105434.jpg (33.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20160903_094956.jpg (71.8 KB, 64 views)
Old October 16th, 2016   #6
Guaglio

Redfish, this pics for you. I forgot to mention in my letter to you, that the sleeves have zippers as well, as pockets. The zippers facilitate opening the sleeves without wearing on the velcro closures.

http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1476661078

As you can tell the bottom zips up, so you're not stressing the material. I'm wearing a down sweater under the jacket, as this picture was taken on the ride back, while in Yellowstone, and the temp was hovering in the low 30's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160916_103038_001.jpg (44.3 KB, 63 views)
Old October 16th, 2016   #7
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 105 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I LIKE!

Thank you.

Now, get back to your regularly scheduled Ride Report.
Old October 17th, 2016   #8
Guaglio

http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1476695847

This is the cafe' I had lunch at, small town, very touristy, and excellent food stop, and staff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160903_115629.jpg (82.6 KB, 60 views)
Old October 17th, 2016   #9
Guaglio

After lunch, I continued westward, toward Yellowstone. After many sweepers a few tight hairpins, and more scenery than a guy can take pics of, I finally got to the northeast entrance of the park, got my lecture about feeding wildlife, paid my 25 dollars, and headed in.

I love our national parks, but the slow pace tourists bring to it, is more than frustrating. I can see how one would want to take pictures of the magnificent wildlife (buffalo, antelope, bears, elk, and the beautiful scenery) ; but do you really have to stop in the middle of the road , stopping traffic for 10 minutes sometimes? Pull over at one of the designated points, take your pictures, get mauled, gored, or what have you, and move on....end of rant.
It was on one of these many stops I encountered this big fella.

http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1476696837

He came down from the hill as I was watching him from behind a car. He looked at the bike, ambered past the car toward me; I placed myself behind the right quarter panel to give myself an out, and waited, praying traffic would start moving again...it did
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160903_130743.jpg (46.5 KB, 58 views)
Old October 17th, 2016   #10
Guaglio

As I made my way across the northern route through Yellowstone, I kept watching amongst other things the time; I know, I was on vacation, but as afternoon turns into evening, wildlife becomes more active; when you're on a motorcycle, as most know, that's not always good.

I exited the park around 5:30, and headed north from the mamouth springs area, looking for dinner, and a place to stay for the night. I grabbed dinner at a local KFC, and found a campground (KOA) in Deer Lodge Montana.

http://www.st1300.us.com/attachment....1&d=1476745704

I set up camp, had a quick espresso, washed, brushed, and went to bed....at $25.00 per night, it's pretty clean, quiet, and easy to get going in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160903_192122.jpg (51.7 KB, 50 views)