ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old October 17th, 2016   #11
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 146 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Thinking about getting an ST1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntWhenever View Post
One question I had was how you keep stuff from falling out of the side cases when you open them?
Open with your leg in the way, to keep it from falling open.
Some of us threaded small elastic cord, like a sparse cargo net, to keep the two areas separated.

Scroll down the page here and you'll see an ST1300 with the simle net that we have used.
It's right by the bottom of the page http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Straps.html#Bungee

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul

Last edited by ligito; October 17th, 2016 at 05:33 PM.
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016   #12
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 103 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Ha! The sidecases take some getting used to. Putting the bike on the centerstand helps with the left side.

A set of bag liners (which I just happen to have available!) makes this easier as well.

You just get used to it. My FJR has a set of straps that are supposed to help with this but I HATE them.
Old October 17th, 2016   #13
HuntWhenever

The side cases wouldn't be a deal breaker...it was just something I thought of on the way home tonight. I stopped for some food, opened my left case (top-open side cases), tossed in my gloves, and then had the thought about the side case methodology.
HuntWhenever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016   #14
echo
The sky is falling...

When you get the ST you want to practice mounting and demounting the bags. The system used is awkward when compared to the one BMW uses. Dropping incorrectly latched bags happened occasionally on the ST 11. Even when done right the bags on that bike flappedaround!

The arrangement is better on the ST13 but not as good as BMWs. You want to be carefull turning the key. Don't force it! It can be twisted. These keys have been known to break in the bag locks and the ignition.

In fact when you get a chance examine the keys for this bike you re looking a for twisting.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016   #15
Wjbertrand
ST guru

The way the lid opens it tends to catch anything falling out. There are limit straps that hold the lids at about 90 degrees from closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016   #16
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

My first "miss with the leg" on holding that left side case happened with a heavy package laying in the lid(I forget what it was) and resulted in a broken latch on the "catch strap". I happened to have a couple of miniature schnauzers at the time and one of their puppy collars was just about the right width to patch in...the latch on the collar was almost exactly the same as what was original on the bike.
BTW, I love this bike!!! I've had mine for almost nine full riding seasons now and cannot imagine replacing it with anything else. With the top box, it's the perfect commuter bike for me. I throw my gym bag in the top box, my lunch bag in the left pannier. The cases are waterproof and most importantly I don't have to spend an extra ten minutes strapping things down with cords. The right case is usually left empty... which is handy on Friday's after work...a couple six packs of whatever to get me through the weekend plus odds and ends of snacks fit easily.
Old October 18th, 2016   #17
ibike2havefun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikSTr View Post
My first "miss with the leg" on holding that left side case happened with a heavy package laying in the lid(I forget what it was) and resulted in a broken latch on the "catch strap".
I did exactly the same thing. I keep meaning / intending to get over to the local luggage repair shop to have a new clip installed but just never seem to find / make the time. In the mean time, I just make sure I have a knee crooked up against the lid when I open that case.

With the catch strap intact nothing falls to the ground; the lid makes a natural tray / container / catch basin.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016   #18
HuntWhenever

I ended up passing on the ST1300. If I was willing to spend the $$$ on a second bike, it would be a no-brainer. But when it came down to it, I just could not walk away from the V-Strom as an every-day work horse. I may regret my decision here in another month when there's frost on the bike every morning. I can always go back and get it if nobody else has bought it.

Last edited by HuntWhenever; October 19th, 2016 at 02:58 AM.
HuntWhenever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016   #19
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 103 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

That is sad. Really sad.

There are lots of WeeStroms and lots of V-Stroms. Suzuki still makes them and improves them from time to time.

But there are only a few ST1300s. And Honda no longer sells them here.
Old October 18th, 2016   #20
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikSTr View Post
My first "miss with the leg" on holding that left side case happened with a heavy package laying in the lid(I forget what it was) and resulted in a broken latch on the "catch strap". I happened to have a couple of miniature schnauzers at the time and one of their puppy collars was just about the right width to patch in...the latch on the collar was almost exactly the same as what was original on the bike.
BTW, I love this bike!!! I've had mine for almost nine full riding seasons now and cannot imagine replacing it with anything else. With the top box, it's the perfect commuter bike for me. I throw my gym bag in the top box, my lunch bag in the left pannier. The cases are waterproof and most importantly I don't have to spend an extra ten minutes strapping things down with cords. The right case is usually left empty... which is handy on Friday's after work...a couple six packs of whatever to get me through the weekend plus odds and ends of snacks fit easily.
I just used one of those split key rings when one of my strap latches broke. Never had cause to unlatch them anyway and the key ring is much stronger.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote