ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old October 14th, 2016   #1
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Redfish and Pop ride to Kentucky again

It has been a while since I posted a RR here, mostly because I no longer have my beloved ST1300. But I figured you guys would cut me some slack if I posted FJR pics instead.

Pop and I took a little ride from Port Vincent, Louisiana and went North and East. We took a few pics. We wore the sides of our Michelins instead of the centers and Pop wore a bit more off his peg feelers.

My total trip was 2910 miles without EVER touching an interstate.

Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and then back thru MS into LA and home. 7 and a half days of no rain, riding goodness.

Two of my HD riding cousins rode with us for a short time. One made it until lunch the first day, the other until lunch the second day.

Some of you will remember that one of my HD cousins nearly died on the Natchez Trace a few years ago. We revisited that spot.

We rode the Natchez trace South to North its whole length. We spent our first night in Tupelo MS and our second night in Lake Cumberland State Park Kentucky.

1. The Crash Site
2. The Southern Beginning of The Trace
3. Random Trace Overlook
4. Tennessee River, Natchez Trace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2518.jpg (53.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.jpg (51.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2520.jpg (46.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2522.jpg (54.1 KB, 51 views)
Old October 14th, 2016   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Redfish and Pop ride to Kentucky again

We revisited the grave of Meriwether Lewis and I found it just as depressing as the first time. I highly recommend a visit to this monument.

The Natchez Trace is a lovely ride but is best suited to what I call The Harley Pace. It is not worth getting in a hurry on this road, just ease along and enjoy the scenery.

HD Cousin Byron made it to the end of the Trace, had lunch with us, and then jumped back onto the Trace to head for home. Pop and I picked up our pace on some of the nice roads in TN and KY.

My timing was a bit optimistic and we rolled into Lake Cumberland State Park a little after dark. The road in was a bit of a challenge in the dark at the somewhat hurried pace we were riding. All good though.

Kentucky State Resort Parks are pretty, quiet, well maintained and very inexpensive. I have never been disappointed by the setting or the restaurants. Lake Cumberland was no exception.

We had a nice breakfast and then pointed the bikes North toward Lawrenceburg KY.

1.&2. Meriwether Lewis grave
3. My Happy Face at Lake Cumberland
4. Breakfast in the park restaurant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2524.jpg (51.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0023.jpg (49.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0024.jpg (57.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0025.jpg (55.3 KB, 53 views)
Old October 14th, 2016   #3
Redfish
Donators

We turned East on Hwy 62 at Lawrenceburg KY so we could visit The Wild Turkey Distillery. This time we would be able to take the tour. It was well worth our time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.jpg (56.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0029.jpg (55.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.jpg (55.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0031.jpg (54.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0033.jpg (55.2 KB, 52 views)
Old October 14th, 2016   #4
Redfish
Donators

After spending way too much money in the Wild Turkey gift shop we made our way South East. My goal was Natural Bridge State Park, KY but they were fully booked. On a Monday. In early October.

So we set out for Jenny Wiley State Park a couple hours to the east. But it was late and we were almost dark getting there.

Part of my plan was to pass through the NADA tunnel and then to ride the Red River Gorge. That turned out splendidly. I can highly recommend Hwy 77 in KY.

We had a decent night at Jenny Wiley and then made our way into WV where we picked up Hwy 52, the King Coal Hwy. A mixture of extreme poverty, lots of RailRoads with lots of loaded coal cars, and gorgeous natural scenery awaited us in WV. 52 was a wonderful motorcycle road.

We switched to 460 in Bluefield WV, then 219 close to Peterstown VA. We immediately crossed back into WV on 219 Lots of border jumping on this day's ride. We loved 219 as it made its way across WV. A great road.

We spent our night in Elkins WV at the Iron Road Inn. Not great, but not terrible either.

1.&2. NADA Tunnel Hwy 77 KY
3. The Road Construction that would haunt my entire trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.jpg (54.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2527.jpg (54.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0039.jpg (54.4 KB, 55 views)
Old October 15th, 2016   #5
Poppi
Donators

That looks like it was a great trip, especially being able to share it with your dad! Thanks for sharing it with us. Even though the pictures didn't show it, I know you must have been smiling inside.

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016   #6
Redfish
Donators

Poppi, I get fussed at a lot about never smiling and for never having MY picture in the RR. I had given Dad a new camera for his birthday and he was using it happily. Since I had not planned to do a RR, I did not take a bunch of pics. But then, Dad's pics were so good...

And this forum needs something to discuss.

Will be trying to finish the RR shortly. Loading pics is very slooooow for some reason.

BTW, how are you liking Oreo? (Your big, black and white Harley)
Old October 15th, 2016   #7
Poppi
Donators

What brand camera did you buy for your dad. Your dad/camera did a great job.
Oreo? I like that name! I'm going to use it! It's more white than black (actually dark metal flake blue), so I might call it "Double-Stuff". I love this bike. Did a 12 hour trip to Florida during August (2-up). Very comfortable. I ridden it on the Dragon a couple of times. Not ideal for that, but still fun. The Dragon is still dangerous - too many people trying to ride above their skill level. I love the comfort, power, looks and feel of the Harley and it goes plenty fast enough for me.

As a side note, the ST forums seem to be more lively and more informative than the Harley forums. You are correct, this forum need something to talk about or someone to do some talking (hopefully positive comments).

Dale H.
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016   #8
Redfish
Donators

Oreo is appropriate because:

1. (Looks) Black and White.
2. It makes you happy every time you see it.
3. Most popular cookie in the U.S.

I have said it before, if there was enough money and enough garage space, there would be a Big HD touring bike in my garage. I actually had a '14 Street Glide and a '94 Wide Glide parked under my carport during the catastrophic flooding we had a couple months ago. They looked good over here.

Sadly, the owner eventually took them back.
Old October 15th, 2016   #9
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Redfish: You will always be welcome here.

Glad to see you had a good ride.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016   #10
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppi View Post
Even though the pictures didn't show it, I know you must have been smiling inside.

Dale
+1 Especially on the Natchez Trace!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote