ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old August 21st, 2016   #1
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Mirror Cover - Attachment Clips

The little springy thingies that hold the mirror cover on, three on each side.

Has anyone ever changed one of these with the plastic still attached to the bike?

Is the nut "captured"?

I had one break a tab.
Before I dash in a unscrew the screw holding the clip it would be nice to know if the next sound I hear is the nut seeking it's permanent resting place in the deep, dark land all the stuff you drop heads.
I can't get a finger in to hold a un-captured nut.
I'm not going to be real impressed with removing the plastic to replace a simple springy thingy.

Only semi related.
I know that through the 2007 model year these springy thingies did not come with the hose clamp clip.
Anyone with a 2008 or later model.
What year did they appear?

Paul
Old August 21st, 2016   #2
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Hose clamp clip?

-Jeff
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016   #3
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Mirror Cover - Attachment Clips

Apparently the later models have the old style wire fuel line "clamp" on the mirror cover springy thingy.

Off the 2010 model ST.
Clip, Tube (B10) 95002-02100
For whatever the reason they are not on every springy thingy apparently as they only call for 4 total but the picture only shows the "clip" on one of the springy thingy's, top rear one. I believe the fuel line overfill drain hose, under the top tank, has one on each end and that could be the other two.

#18 on the photo

Not something I'll worry about not having as I managed to go 13 years without any.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canvas.jpg (16.9 KB, 74 views)
Old August 21st, 2016   #4
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Oh Ok, my '05 has one on each side on the upper retainer only.

-Jeff
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016   #5
PaulRB
The Grouch

OK the 05 has it.
A closer look at the 07 parts manual shows 1 being on it as well.

I don't fully understand it's function but I generally will not attempt to out engineer Honda.
Not on the 03 model.
I'll go with the Better Build theory of the superior model, 2003.
Old August 21st, 2016   #6
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

I can tell you all about these. The ST has three 4-prong spring clips on each side. Each clip should have a circlip around it to stop it spreading and loosening. The clips are affixed with a crosspoint screw in their centres to a captive nut on the inside of the plastic. No plastic needs to be removed. I lost the right side mirror cover on my 03 ST1300 (viewed from the riders seat) which came off when I was travelling at speed and hit a bump. When I checked - not one of the clips on that side had the circlip fitted. I checked the left side and only one circlip was fitted. My dealer ordered 5 circlips at a few pennies each. They were delivered the next day and I fitted them all in about 15 minutes flat. When I bought my CTX1300, as soon as I got it home, I checked the circlip situation. Only one circlip on each side, but on different position clips. Again, I ordered 4 more and fitted them easily. My Honda mechanic says the the guys who build the bike up often don't know what the circlips are for and throw them in the bin. It's a really easy fix. I recommend everyone pops both mirror covers off and checks the three clips each side for the presence of the circlip.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS

Last edited by DickPeake; August 21st, 2016 at 02:37 PM.
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016   #7
PaulRB
The Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickPeake View Post
I can tell you all about these. The ST has three 4-prong spring clips on each side. Each clip should have a circlip around it to stop it spreading and loosening. The clips are affixed with a crosspoint screw in their centres to a captive nut on the inside of the plastic. No plastic needs to be removed. I lost the right side mirror cover on my 03 ST1300 (viewed from the riders seat) which came off when I was travelling at speed and hit a bump. When I checked - not one of the clips on that side had the circlip fitted. I checked the left side and only one circlip was fitted. My dealer ordered 5 circlips at a few pennies each. They were delivered the next day and I fitted them all in about 15 minutes flat. When I bought my CTX1300, as soon as I got it home, I checked the circlip situation. Only one circlip on each side, but on different position clips. Again, I ordered 4 more and fitted them easily. My Honda mechanic says the the guys who build the bike up often don't know what the circlips are for and throw them in the bin. It's a really easy fix. I recommend everyone pops both mirror covers off and checks the three clips each side for the presence of the circlip.
Thanks Mr. Peake
Exactly what I needed and wanted to hear, captive nuts.

I know I've got fuel line circlips.

Paul
Old August 22nd, 2016   #8
PaulRB
The Grouch

An update of sorts.

The nuts on the springy thingies on my ST are not captured.
If you go into the vent hole with a dental mirror and shine a flashlight on the mirror you can see the lower springy thingy 5mm flange nut.
It is not captured meaning if you remove the screw the sound your hear will be the nut making it's way into the deep, dark, bottomless pit behind the lower fairing.

At a bare minimum, and I'll find out more in 7-10 days, at the least the dash must be removed to change out a springy thingy.

Paul
Old August 22nd, 2016   #9
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

They may be captive but someone forgot to lock the cell door.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016   #10
chaissos
Donators

Sorry, Paul, I've had to replace a couple on mine, and they were definitely captive. When they set it up at the dealer, they crushed the spring clips, and the circlips fell off (not all 6, but a couple on the right side).

I had the pleasure of finding this out at 70MPH on a busy highway. Luckily, I was right near my exit.