ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1100 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1100.

Old March 1st, 2016   #11
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Default Re: Rat Gnawed Wires - Honda's Fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Ran across this article about a class action lawsuit against Honda while reading my CR-V forum. Seems that Honda, in order to save costs, has been using a soy based insulation that rodents find yummy:

From: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/auto...awsuit-n504746
"Environmentally friendly car wiring with a soy-based coating is too tempting for rodents to resist, according to a federal class-action lawsuit that demands Honda pick up the tab for the damage caused by gnawing mice, rabbits and squirrels."

Wonder if the ST1300's wires are insulated with this same material?
I don't think it's just Honda, many manufacturers, and not just of motor vehicles, have been more or less forced to adopt PVC wiring insulation with plasticizers declared to be more environmentally friendly. Epoxidized soy bean oil is a popular replacement for the mostly banned phthalate plasticizers used for decades previously.

The additional trashed harnesses that end up in land fills and the air pollution that results from vehicle fires caused by stripped insulation hardly make these products as environmentally friendly as perhaps imagined.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016   #12
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Yeah, this one drifted way the hell off topic...

The Cat sleeps inside. She was a stray kitten that just kind of made herself at home and now she does whatever the heck she wants. In winter she always slept inside, in summer she only came inside to eat. She was welcome to do whatever she liked.

Last summer she almost became a coyote turd. She fought her way free but both front shoulder blades were broken. Since then she sleeps inside. She does not like it, she literally cries by the door, but she is now under what Mrs. Redfish calls Coyote Curfew. She is allowed out during the day, but not at night.

BUT!!! The semi-useless creature does keep the rodent population in check. We have never seen a mouse inside this house, no rat nests in anything outside. We know they are around because she leaves us presents. The neighbors like her patrolling their horse barn for that reason.

So, my Honda, my current Yamahas, my vehicles, and my Monster Fergusson can have peanut butter flavored wires and still be safe.
We have a lot of reports around here, about Coyotes taking Cats and Dogs.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016   #13
jjoyce2

I don't understand how cats that live outdoors can survive coyotes, and I've heard that there are coyotes in every county in the US. I can't see leaving any pets outside.
jjoyce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016   #14
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I sometimes sprinkle rat poison around both inside and outside my garage and driveway, to discourage rodents. We have many squirrels around here.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old March 3rd, 2016   #15
echo
The sky is falling...

Ha I caught THREE mice last night in my echo modded mouse trap! One under the kitchen sink, one in the wife's closet, and one on the countertop. The trap I bought some time ago was useless but I've succeeded into making a death dealing machine!

MMe lady says I'm her Knight
In Shining Armour!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016   #16
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
I don't think it's just Honda, many manufacturers, and not just of motor vehicles, have been more or less forced to adopt PVC wiring insulation with plasticizers declared to be more environmentally friendly.

Does this soy based insulation break down in landfills?... is this why it's supposed to be environmentally friendly?

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016   #17
ligito
Donators

Quote:
Does this soy based insulation break down in landfills?... is this why it's supposed to be environmentally friendly?
Perhaps recycled as soy milk?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old March 5th, 2016   #18
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:

I don't know if it's that or just an attempt to reduce exposure to phthalate plasticizers.

-Jeff
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote