ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1100 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1100.

Old March 1st, 2016   #1
Mick
Loquacious Member

Default Rat Gnawed Wires - Honda's Fault?

Ran across this article about a class action lawsuit against Honda while reading my CR-V forum. Seems that Honda, in order to save costs, has been using a soy based insulation that rodents find yummy:

From: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/auto...awsuit-n504746
"Environmentally friendly car wiring with a soy-based coating is too tempting for rodents to resist, according to a federal class-action lawsuit that demands Honda pick up the tab for the damage caused by gnawing mice, rabbits and squirrels."

Wonder if the ST1300's wires are insulated with this same material?

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016   #2
echo
The sky is falling...

Default Re: Rat Gnawed Wires - Honda's Fault?

A garage cat will take care of that.

So will traps baited with a thin film of peanut butter.

Just last weekend I caught a saber toothed mouse in a pb trap in the kitchen that was menacing the wife.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016   #3
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I am going to have to agree with Echo on this one.

I too once had to battle a Sabre Tooth Mouse that sent the wife into spasms of terror. I cannot understand how something so small and cute could be so terrifying to a woman.

Now we have a highly trained, exceptionally vicious, constantly vigilant, Attack Cat. She is outside asleep right now but I have no doubt all her senses are alert. Or not.
Old March 1st, 2016   #4
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I have an issue with people who employ animals.
They call them pets and say they are part of the family but when they disappear due to
predation, or get run over, they whimper about their loss.

If they are indeed family, keep them safe. Don't throw them out to die in the elements.
My cat was 21 1/2 years old, when she died. She was a house cat.
My Old English Sheepdog was a house dog. She was 13 but I felled a tree on her and damaged her spine.
I saw her too late and couldn't keep the tree standing, after I made the cut. No more animals for me.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul

Last edited by ligito; March 1st, 2016 at 10:36 AM.
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016   #5
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
My Old English Sheepdog was a house dog. She was 13 but I felled a tree on her and damaged her spine. I saw her too late and couldn't keep the tree standing, after I made the cut. No more animals for me.

Man, that's terrible. I accidentally ran over a little cat once in the dark with my ST1100. I felt awful for a couple of days even though it was completely unavoidable. Can't imagine what it would feel like if it was my own pet.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016   #6
echo
The sky is falling...

We had black goo (pcb?) dripping from a fluorescent fixture over the wash machine in the basement. I couldn't get it apart to fix it but told the wife Don't Turn The Light On And It Won't Drip.

She didn't listen and the cat walked in it and licked his paws clean and died a horrible wasting death.

The wife hasn't figgered it out yet and I hope she never does.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016   #7
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
I have an issue with people who employ animals.
They call them pets and say they are part of the family but when they disappear due to
predation, or get run over, they whimper about their loss.

If they are indeed family, keep them safe. Don't throw them out to die in the elements.
My cat was 21 1/2 years old, when she died. She was a house cat.
You must be in need of a nap.

1. What about horses? Are they "employed" when they are ridden? Or when they are pulling a wagon?

2. Do not assume the worst. The Cat that lives here goes outside because she wants to. I never wanted a cat, but we have had one for almost 14 years now. Or maybe she has us, I am never sure. This thing is not neglected for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2270.jpg (58.3 KB, 49 views)
Old March 1st, 2016   #8
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I had one that looked just like that, his name was Nuisance.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old March 1st, 2016   #9
ligito
Donators

I was mostly remarking about the people that cry "My animal was a member of the family", after reporting it missing, or run over etc.

To them I say if they are your family, let them sleep in the house, just like the other family members.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old March 1st, 2016   #10
Redfish
Donators

Yeah, this one drifted way the hell off topic...

The Cat sleeps inside. She was a stray kitten that just kind of made herself at home and now she does whatever the heck she wants. In winter she always slept inside, in summer she only came inside to eat. She was welcome to do whatever she liked.

Last summer she almost became a coyote turd. She fought her way free but both front shoulder blades were broken. Since then she sleeps inside. She does not like it, she literally cries by the door, but she is now under what Mrs. Redfish calls Coyote Curfew. She is allowed out during the day, but not at night.

BUT!!! The semi-useless creature does keep the rodent population in check. We have never seen a mouse inside this house, no rat nests in anything outside. We know they are around because she leaves us presents. The neighbors like her patrolling their horse barn for that reason.

So, my Honda, my current Yamahas, my vehicles, and my Monster Fergusson can have peanut butter flavored wires and still be safe.