ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1100 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1100.

Old October 22nd, 2014   #21
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2015 fjr

No word on a delivery date.

The depressing part is getting rid of Ole Blue. My ST1300 has been an awesome bike. I hope whoever buys Ole Blue joins this forum and gets the guidance necessary to keep that wonderful bike going strong.
Old March 5th, 2015   #22
downn2

The reason I am here is I'm looking to get back to riding something with a V4 Honda engine, thus sell my FJR...Thus, i guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I but I do know what is smoother and more powerful on the other side and that's a Honda's V4s as I miss my 83 V65 Magna. I also miss doing business with the professionalism shown me by the guys who work at the Honda dealership. Not only that, but they got Adult for mechanics who have always done my service with meticulous care vs the kids in the Yami shop whom treat their jobs of more of a "THIS JOB IS JUST A TEMPORARY ONE, THAT IS UNTIL I GROW UP AND CAN GET A REAL JOB LIKE AT A HONDA DEALERSHIP". Thus why so many FJR owners don't let the dealer touch their bikes as prefer to do their own maintenance and upgrade work themselves...I am not a WRENCH...nor do I want to be..

Just beware,that FJRs are plagued with a vibrations that shows itself in the handlebars and foot pegs around 75 mph causing your feet and hands to go numb in about 20 minutes.....some have it ,some don't. I'd trying buying the FJR from YAMI dealership that has several of them to test as to find the Smoothest FJR out of the bunch....as getting rid of that damn thing can be a PITA..My FJR Is 9 years old now, I just want a new bike, and not willing to that the chance of revisiting the nightmare I was faced with. As again, I was dealing with kids who didn't like dealing with adult issues such as rider discomforts..I tried to make the dealer take the bike back, but all I could get out of "Jake the Snake" who was at the time the Yamaha Dealership GM who's used the excuse "they couldn't get the bike to duplicate the problem, thus couldn't help me" ...I'd never gotten that line of BS from my Honda dealer, much less ever had the problem in the first place if I'd bought a Honda.. Simply, Yamaha does not have the finish quality, nor the fit quality, nor the dealership personnel quality of Honda, ...You get what you pay for my boy. Oh yea, $4K later in upgrades, I got finally got rid of that goddamn BUZZ as I guess I was spoiled owning Hondas my whole life. A lot of your FJR experience will depend on luck...Good luck.

Last edited by downn2; March 5th, 2015 at 04:23 PM.
downn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015   #23
railroadrider
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
Nothing sudden about it. I've been one all my life. It took a meteorite or an asteroid hitting the Yucatan to wipe them out the last time; the end of the ST production run and failure of a Honda-branded successor to emerge won't do me in. By the time I wear out my ST, if that time ever comes, I'll either be hanging up the keys or finding a suitable successor regardless of who made it. I just know it won't be a Hardley.
+1. I haven't owned many bikes over the decades because, IMHO, I chose well. My record to date is 22 years. Just started #7 with my ST and can't see any reason to replace it.
railroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015   #24
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

And what year model was this terrible FJR? Was it a Gen1 or a Gen2?

I have heard tales of terrible vibration. I have not experienced it. I have a great deal of seat time on an '07 FJR and have been thoroughly enjoying my 2015 FJR. No excessive vibration from either bike.

Is the ST1300 engine "smooth"? Of course it is. Is it vibration free? Absolutely not. The vibration of the ST is a much lower frequency than the FJR, but it is still there.

I hope the ST1300 makes you happy as it is an excellent bike and I loved mine. I like my new FJR better.
Old March 6th, 2015   #25
echo
The sky is falling...

No bike I ever owned which is a little of everything vibrated so much that it was objectionable or even tireing. I dont mind the heat thrown by the ST13 engine in hot weather. I dont mind factory seats.

All in all pretty impressive!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2015   #26
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

I like big V twins, I don't mean Harleys though, Aprilias, Ducatis and now I'm on a KTM, I love the vibey thing, It's like the bike is getting sledgehammered up the road!
Old March 6th, 2015   #27
downn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
No bike I ever owned which is a little of everything vibrated so much that it was objectionable or even tireing. I dont mind the heat thrown by the ST13 engine in hot weather. I dont mind factory seats.

All in all pretty impressive!

From what I read , it appears Yamaha putting a single counter balance in an inline 4 is the culprit, thus the motors aren't uniformly balanced,,,,No bike I've ever owned either, including an old BSA Lightning, numbed out my feet and hands within 20 minutes like my 06 FJR AE........Thus, why I wanted to returned it to the dealer in hope of making Yamaha buy it back under Texas Lemon laws, which I found out basically basically don't exist here..Thus, I spent what I did to cure it. All I'm saying is,,,RIDE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT ! Be sure to spend a time doing 70-80 mph checking for it..But don't kid yourself, it's not a Honda as you quickly notice the paint is not the quality as on Hondas, the fit of the body panels are not the same you find on Hondas (which are perfect) and there's a reason for it as Yamaha's are basically the cheapest bike out there...Something Yami riders hold as dear, as they do all have this in common with each other.. How cheap something cost me is not something I have any desire to brag about with my fellow FJR riders as I'm trying to get the feeling back in my hands and feet....

And again, good luck....

Last edited by downn2; March 6th, 2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old March 6th, 2015   #28
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
I like big V twins, I don't mean Harleys though, Aprilias, Ducatis and now I'm on a KTM, I love the vibey thing, It's like the bike is getting sledgehammered up the road!
The XR1200's engine vibrated like one of those machines that shake cans of paint at idle. I mean it was like a ball peen hammer hitting the handlebars. At speed the engine smoothed out appreciably, but still throbbed quite charmingly.

It might be my favorite mc engine of all time.

Nope its more like:

Old March 6th, 2015   #29
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by downn2 View Post
From what I read , it appears Yamaha putting a single counter balance in an inline 4 is the culprit, thus the motors aren't uniformly balanced,,,,No bike I've ever owned either, including an old BSA Lightning, numbed out my feet and hands within 20 minutes like my 06 FJR AE........Thus, why I wanted to returned it to the dealer in hope of making Yamaha buy it back under Texas Lemon laws, which I found out basically basically don't exist here..Thus, I spent what I did to cure it. All I'm saying is,,,RIDE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT ! Be sure to spend a time doing 70-80 mph checking for it..

And again, good luck....
Wow that sucks. I would be pretty upset if it happened to me...

All in all its hard to imagine what a person could find fault with the ST11 or ST13. Maybe the heat on the 13.

Unless of course they dont like it cause its not a BMW...

Nope its more like:

Old March 6th, 2015   #30
downn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Wow that sucks. I would be pretty upset if it happened to me...

All in all its hard to imagine what a person could find fault with the ST11 or ST13. Maybe the heat on the 13.

Unless of course they dont like it cause its not a BMW...
What scared me away from the ST and towards the FJR were 2 things which I don't think either were true,,,I didn't know though, you tell me...One was a big issue with HEAT with the ST and being in Dallas Tx were it's 150 dg in the sun, that's a big deal, and then there was the power issue, as I was lead to believe the ST had been radically detuned to appease the touring crowd, as they are more concerned about MPG than speed, thus didn't have the power one would associate with a typical 1300cc sport bike.

Any truth to either ?