ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old August 25th, 2014   #11
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: Eastern Iowa to Maine and back

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikSTr View Post
I had strongly considered the Unigo brand of one wheel trailer but at nearly three grand for the most basic setup I couldn't justify it for something that I'm not going to do at least once a year for the next five years. I'd have to go find my receipts but i'm pretty sure the trailer, hitch, and wiring harness total were slightly over six hundred. I spent maybe another hundred on bearing buddies and spare wheel bearings.
Unigo....that's the one, although i'm still sure there's a generic name for it.

In any event, do what makes you (um...and the wife) happy, and just be safe. I'm only pushing caution, not any particular way of thought.
Old August 25th, 2014   #12
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 109 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Unigo....that's the one, although i'm still sure there's a generic name for it.

In any event, do what makes you (um...and the wife) happy, and just be safe. I'm only pushing caution, not any particular way of thought.
Unigo is the generic term I have always heard applied to the one wheeled trailer though I am sure it is a name brand. Much like most sodas are collectively "Coke". I too considered the Unigo. I have a different outlook now.

FWIW, I was not preaching to the OP. I do truly respect everyone's right to use their bikes as they see fit. I was actually just answering the question posed by ibike2havefun.
Old August 25th, 2014   #13
ibike2havefun

Hi all-

Oh I think I might have hit a nerve here, which was definitely NOT my intention in posing my question. I truly was asking out of curiosity and lack of information because I am new to the game and want to know my options and weigh the risks for myself.

Certainly I was not intending that rikSTr should think I was in any way taking an overt or backhanded swipe at telling him anything about his choice of rig. I have been wondering about their viability is all, and wanted first-hand knowledge and opinion. Thanks for sharing the load plan- that's good intel for me.

(My MSF instructor began our BRC with a statement whose gist was "You are all here because you have chosen to do something that is essentially dangerous and in many people's opinion also unwise.") Having decided to accept that risk, I am now evaluating others.

Quoting Redfish:
Quote:
You don't see any motorcycle trailer hitches with "Honda ST1300" stamped on them do you?
Well, nooooooo.... but that has as much or more to do with the fact that I have not actually gone LOOKING for trailer hitches of any sort, yet. Maybe I never will. But, I want to know.

I've seen Goldwings and Harleys doing tow duty, but until May of this year I'd never even heard of the ST platform so if I ever saw one (pulling a trailer or not) I wouldn't have recognized it for what it was.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014   #14
ibike2havefun

Quote:
There is a trailer combination that I _might_ consider, it's the sort that has a single trailer wheel, and leans with the bike. I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but I don't know what it is.

The two-wheeled sort of trailer won't handle or corner as well, and if you choose to go this route, I surely hope you plan on keep the speed down. That thing behind you does have the capability to rip your bike from the road.

As for the "pan weave" issue, if you're going anywhere near fast enough (like 125+) to experience this with a trailer, we'll just rename you "organ donor".
Thanks. I *think* the technical term you're looking for is "mono-wheeled trailer" but I could easily be wrong. I have one I tow behind my mountain bike, but obviously unsuitable for motorcycling.

I am already a registered organ donor in my state but I have no intention of EVER getting to the speed range where Pan Weave becomes a potential issue, loaded, unloaded, towing, or otherwise. Was just wondering whether anyone had any idea whether a trailer brought that threshold down to, say, more like the kind of speeds one might easily and legally do in parts of Texas, Montana, or other wide-open Western states. (Not that it's probable that i'd get to any of those places on my ST; I don't even drive those kinds of distance or at those speeds in the MINI.)

Anyhow- thanks for the info.

Old August 25th, 2014   #15
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 109 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
Hi all-

Oh I think I might have hit a nerve here, which was definitely NOT my intention in posing my question. I truly was asking out of curiosity and lack of information because I am new to the game and want to know my options and weigh the risks for myself.

Well, nooooooo.... but that has as much or more to do with the fact that I have not actually gone LOOKING for trailer hitches of any sort, yet. Maybe I never will. But, I want to know.

I've seen Goldwings and Harleys doing tow duty, but until May of this year I'd never even heard of the ST platform so if I ever saw one (pulling a trailer or not) I wouldn't have recognized it for what it was.
I don't think you hit a nerve but I guess I may have. I did not mean to.

I thought you asked a valid question and this thread was a good reason and opportunity to do so. That is what we are here for.

My point was that if Honda meant for the bike to be used like that and there was money to be made from selling the parts, they would be doing so. Honda does not want you pulling a trailer with your ST.

I will not ever consider pulling a trailer. My personal experience with this and my extensive experience with trailers behind trucks tells me that this is not something I want to do.

The more I travel on the bike, the farther I go and I pack less and less. You refine your technique over time.

I also encourage you to reconsider going Out West with your ST. These bikes are great platforms for a long distance trip and then offer power and handling to enjoy the mountain roads when you get there.
Old August 25th, 2014   #16
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
...My point was that if Honda meant for the bike to be used like that and there was money to be made from selling the parts, they would be doing so. Honda does not want you pulling a trailer with your ST. ...
First off clearing the air here I am NOT offended at any of the comments made here so far. I've been reading the forum faithfully since before EiLean(ironic name in the case of this trip report,yes) came home. I know that all (that have responded so far) here are knowledgeable and well meaning. I trust their opinions and relish the liberty at which topics can be discussed openly(usually with only minor interruptions).

Next my rare disagreement with an opinion of Redfish: there is some money to be made in the manufacture and sale of hitches for the ST1300. I bought one. It's just not ever going to be the volume that would be worthwhile to Honda. And on other hand what's with the top box not being available in the U.S. but is in the U.K? I'd think there would definitely be money to be made by Honda there but they decline. So to your point, Honda must see some inherent danger how we like to overpack in the U.S. OR...they want us to buy Goldwings for such stuff.
Anyway...this is the only way that I'm going to get to have a motorcycle trip this long with my wife, as she stopped being the maker of her own destiny a couple of years ago when she decided her reflexes were no longer up to the demands of piloting her 750 Shadow. Her makeup, shampoo, hair dryer and shoes for two weeks would easily fill the top box. Now she's going to need an extra set of everything that she might possibly think she needs that would fit the right saddle bag. While I could probably get by with one spare set of jeans and 5 t-shirts and a couple pair of briefs and socks that "might" fit in the left saddlebag with the tools, we still haven't solved the problem of where to keep the extra layers that may be needed when they're not needed under the jackets. And, oh crap, where will her purse and iPad go? Also as I said before, at stops, I always lock our helmets in one of the cases unless it's guaranteed to not rain AND I'll be within eye-shot of the bike. Since I did just pony up the $$$ for a new Shoei Neotec a couple of weeks ago, I am NOT leaving that lie about.
Jeez, I have a lot of baggage...maybe I should get a Goldwing
Old August 25th, 2014   #17
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

Quote:
...(um...and the wife) happy....
head of nail squarely engaged good sir!
During the early stage of deciding just how to do this trip I read some 2-bit article somewhere (internet or Readers' Digest or something) about advice that fathers should give their sons. The only one bit I remember out of that article was this:
"If there are two ways to go about doing something and you are free to choose, do the one that would make the best story"
roughly translated:
"Go forth and be a force of awesome - do epic shit."
I may fall on my face on this endeavor and have the most awful time but at least I won't go to my grave thinking "I wish I had tried"
Old August 26th, 2014   #18
Redfish
Donators

Rick, I am sorry. You and I are not actually in disagreement, I am just not communicating as clearly as I thought I was. And I really, sincerely, honestly have no wish to disagree or offend. I was trying to clearly answer the question posed buy ibike2havefun, but I messed it up. In the process I effectively hijacked YOUR thread and I apologize for that as well.

If Honda were to sell hitches for the ST that would be a company endorsement that they think it safe to pull a trailer with the ST. Honda is not going to do that.

Before we go further, there are pics in some of my old Ride Reports of my Harley riding cousin pulling a much larger, much heavier trailer on our trips. I enjoyed the convenience of having all that stuff, I really did. It slowed us down some but it was a worthwhile trade off.

I don't drink very much or very often but I will have a beer with my companions in the evening as we discuss the day's ride and events. Since this often finds us in a dry county, the ice chest on the trailer is a wonderful thing.

Also, and let me be clear on this one.
IF! I say IF Mrs. Redfish would get on the back of a motorcycle and ride with me on vacation I would be willing to buy and accessorize a Harley Davidson with loud pipes, paint it pink if I had to and pull a 20 foot tandem axle trailer behind if if that is what it took to get her riding with me. I am not ashamed to say that.

I have seen dedicated motorcycle couples traveling with less gear than I carry for myself. I was amazed that any woman could pack that light. My wife sure as hell cannot do it. We cannot take her car on vacation because of all the stuff we "have to have!" We take my truck with the bed cover and the damn thing is full.

Again, I apologize for any miscommunication and for hijacking this thread as well.

Now, go ride, take pics, post report. Please.
Old August 26th, 2014   #19
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 125 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

In the UK, motorcycles towing trailers are restricted to a maximum speed of 60mph/96kph where the local speed limit permits that speed to be achieved.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014   #20
ibike2havefun

Awwwwwwwwwwww, gee! Harmony and peace have broken out. I'm glad.

And, as I've said a couple of times already, thanks to all for the info, advice, and opinions!