ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old August 24th, 2014   #1
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

Default Eastern Iowa to Maine and back

As I mentioned in my post about the up-state NY area( http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=4280) this IS going to happen. I thought I was going to get to the NE US a couple of years ago but circumstances dictated otherwise.

This is how I plan to get me my wife and her hair dryer there and back.
Yes, she has a LOT of hair!

Last edited by rikSTr; August 24th, 2014 at 08:50 AM.
rikSTr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014   #2
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Eastern Iowa to Maine and back

Have her remove her helmet and user nature as a dryer.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul

Last edited by ligito; August 24th, 2014 at 10:08 AM.
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014   #3
ibike2havefun

Hi-

The photo prods me to ask (I know there are other threads on the subject but what the heck...).

In the owner's manual for the 2003 model (my '04 somehow got separated from its book by the previous owner, evidently, and the '03 book is the only manual I could find for downloading) it says clearly and explicitly that the bike is not designed for towing. Has that restriction been removed in later years, or are you simply choosing to disregard it (as is your absolute right should you so choose).

In the bicycle world, there is endless debate over the relative merits, advantages, and downsides of trailers versus panniers. I'm on the fence, since I've done it each way and can therefore see both sides with equal clarity. So far I've yet to find a compelling and decisive argument either way, and let circumstances dictate which option I choose for a given ride.

With a motorcycle it's obviously not so much of an either/or decision. (I think? Being new to the game maybe it's not so obvious as I assume and I seek knowledge and enlightenment if so.)

When you are trailering I presume the saddlebags and rear trunk are also in use? Or do you put all of the cargo in the trailer for weight distribution reasons? Given the whole Pan Weave thing this is a subject of great interest to me.

Thanks-

-= Keith Adams =-
Rockville, MD, USA
ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014   #4
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 109 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2havefun View Post
Hi-

In the owner's manual for the 2003 model (my '04 somehow got separated from its book by the previous owner, evidently, and the '03 book is the only manual I could find for downloading) it says clearly and explicitly that the bike is not designed for towing. Has that restriction been removed in later years, or are you simply choosing to disregard it (as is your absolute right should you so choose).

Or do you put all of the cargo in the trailer for weight distribution reasons? Given the whole Pan Weave thing this is a subject of great interest to me.
As always I support everyone's right to make their own decision and have no desire to insult, ridicule, or belittle what other people do to or with their own bikes.

You don't see any motorcycle trailer hitches with "Honda ST1300" stamped on them do you? That's because Honda does not want you pulling a trailer with the ST1300.

Whether you follow the recommendation in the owner's manual or not is your choice. I see plenty of folks pulling trailers with plenty of different bikes. I hope they enjoy their ride as much as I enjoy mine.

I have already scraped what I thought was a dead man off the side of the road after his trailer beat him and his motorcycle nearly to death. Not a pleasant experience.
Old August 25th, 2014   #5
chaissos
Donators

There is a trailer combination that I _might_ consider, it's the sort that has a single trailer wheel, and leans with the bike. I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but I don't know what it is.

The two-wheeled sort of trailer won't handle or corner as well, and if you choose to go this route, I surely hope you plan on keep the speed down. That thing behind you does have the capability to rip your bike from the road.

As for the "pan weave" issue, if you're going anywhere near fast enough (like 125+) to experience this with a trailer, we'll just rename you "organ donor".
Old August 25th, 2014   #6
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

First of all, I am fully aware that this is not a Honda approved configuration. Secondly when my wife is involved, there will be NO high speed anything going on and very little leaning so I'm not expecting any handling issues other than needing more room for braking and accelerating up to speed. I have take the trailer on a short weekend campng trip and it tracks well and predictably. The side and top cases will be left empty other than the basic everyday stuff I keep in the left case. Not only does this reduce weight a tad it gives us a place to quickly and securely stow helmets (and jacketsif need be) at stops.
I realize it's a bit counter intuitive to work your thoughrobred like a draft horse but I think this bike is up for it.
Old August 25th, 2014   #7
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 125 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

The UK regulations on motorcycles towing trailers:

Towing with a motorbike
You can use motorbikes with an engine size of 125cc or more to tow small trailers.
Your motorbike has to be clearly and permanently marked with its ‘kerbside weight’.

Kerbside weight is the weight of the vehicle without passengers or any load but with a full tank of fuel and filled up with the necessary oils, water and fluids.

The trailer must be no more than 1 metre wide and must be clearly and permanently marked with its unladen weight.

When the trailer is loaded it must weigh no more than 150 kilograms or 2/3 of the kerbside weight of the motorbike - whichever is lighter.

When hitched, the distance between the end of the trailer and the rear axle of the motorbike must be no more than 2.5 metres.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014   #8
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

I had strongly considered the Unigo brand of one wheel trailer but at nearly three grand for the most basic setup I couldn't justify it for something that I'm not going to do at least once a year for the next five years. I'd have to go find my receipts but i'm pretty sure the trailer, hitch, and wiring harness total were slightly over six hundred. I spent maybe another hundred on bearing buddies and spare wheel bearings.
Old August 25th, 2014   #9
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

"As always I support everyone's right to make their own decision and have no desire to insult, ridicule, or belittle what other people do to or with their own bikes."

Dependent, of course on whether the opportunity arises.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014   #10
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I just bring a couple of credit cards and buy what I need after I get to wherever I'm going.

;-)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote