ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old August 24th, 2014   #21
echo
The sky is falling...

Default Re: Redfish Climbs Colorado

Nice story. I never had anyone to ride with so on my trips I went by myself. I got up at 4am, ate no breakfast or lunch, and rode all day until I got tired or it got too hot. Then I got a motel or made camp and ate.

Pure heaven!

For a break I accepted invitations at friends and relatives houses. Oh how happy they were to see me, feed me, look at my pictures, hear my stories, and show me around their part of the world!

All except the husband of one of the girls in my neighborhood I grew up with. He put his 357 on the kitchen table when we were having coffee one morning...

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!

Last edited by echo; August 24th, 2014 at 05:56 AM.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014   #22
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Nice story. I never had anyone to ride with so on my trips I went by myself. I got up at 4am, ate no breakfast or lunch, and rode all day until I got tired or it got too hot. Then I got a motel or made camp and ate.

Pure heaven!

For a break I accepted invitations at friends and relatives houses. Oh how happy they were to see me, feed me, look at my pictures, hear my stories, and show me around their part of the world!

All except the husband of one of the girls in my neighborhood I grew up with. He put his 357 on the kitchen table when we were having coffee one morning...
Did he want to trade it for a can of brake fluid?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2014   #23
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Hwy 145 with all its goodness of curves, scenery, and low traffic was eventually done. We turned onto Hwy 141. I love Hwy 141. This road is not typical of Colorado, it looks more like the red rock formations of Utah. Of course, we are close to the Utah border here.

Hwy 141 ranks as one of my favorite motorcycle roads because it has the right amount of everything.

Stunning Scenery
Smooth Pavement
Smooth, long sweeping turns. Lots of them.
Very little traffic
Pull-offs to take pics and discuss things.

A few pics of this wonderful road:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9024.jpg (55.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9025.jpg (56.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9030.jpg (52.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9033.jpg (51.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9034.jpg (53.4 KB, 67 views)
Old August 25th, 2014   #24
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

A few more pics of Hwy 141:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G0010005.jpg (49.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg G0010007.jpg (51.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9038.jpg (50.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9037.jpg (52.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9040.jpg (51.0 KB, 59 views)
Old August 26th, 2014   #25
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I went through Cortez on my way from Denver to Phoenix during the second leg of the Iron Butt 5000 rally a few years ago.

Beautiful, amazing country.

I bet that perked your dad up. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
In case you guys are lost, ShipRock is just a bit South and East of The 4 corners. Essentially the closest town in New Mexico to the 4 corners. It is a very dry, very brown area. We headed North toward Cortez CO and once north of Cortez the landscape changed to green and beautiful. We were on Hwy 145 which is truly a beautiful road. This is the scenery that most folks picture when they think of Colorado.

<snip>
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014   #26
NC-Canuck

Great story and pictures. Had me chuckling - nice break from the work day. Thanks for sharing.
NC-Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014   #27
Redfish
Donators

I'm not done, this has several more days to it. I just have to work for a living...
Old August 27th, 2014   #28
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 149 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I'm not done, this has several more days to it. I just have to work for a living...
Keep up the good work.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014   #29
Iamike
Loquacious Member

We are waiting!
Old August 27th, 2014   #30
Redfish
Donators

As we rolled further North on Hwy 141 the landscape was ever changing. I know I am beating this horse to death but I love Hwy 141. The half-grown black bear was an unexpected treat, I never thought that was the sort of place I would see one.

We got rained on and the rain was cold. Very cold. I stopped at a very nice rest area and wandered off into the creek. I wanted to test the waterproof integrity of my Tourmaster riding boots. They passed.

Then, sadly 141 came to an end. We turned right (East) on Hwy 50 headed toward Delta CO. The Wind came. The Wind blew. The WIND!!! Holy mother of... I swear that I thought I would drag my right peg at 70 mph going in a straight line! The gusts were obviously invisible and unpredictable. We took a beating. We stopped to fuel up and we were all careful to park our bikes directly facing the wind. We were afraid a broadside gust would blow them over.

Ole Blue got 56.4 mpg, actual calculated. I was amazed. He is always the best of the group on fuel but the big Honda was truly outdoing itself on this ride. I love this bike.

We rolled into Delta and stopped at a Days Inn. A somewhat aged little hotel but it seemed to be the perfect situation. Relatively cheap, an onsite restaurant that served dinner and breakfast, it seemed almost too good to be true. (That is called foreshadowing)

We unloaded our luggage, turned on the ACs and strolled down to eat our delicious dinner at the on site restaurant.

Do any of you remember the TV dinners we ate back in the '70s? That is what I think we ate. It looked like they just dumped the TV dinner onto a real plate, microwaved it and served it to us. They left off that little tart thing that I never could identify, but other than that, Swanson TV dinner all over again. Terrible stuff.

As soon as we got back to our room Dad threw his up. I was wishing I could throw up also. Our AC was not cooling very well. The two cousins came to our room to say that their AC was not cooling very well. Oh, boy.

They went to the lobby to check and were told, "We don't use Freon in our Air Conditioners down in the valley. It will help if you tuck your curtain behind the lamp in the corner so it blows better."

I am not sure about this but I don't see how an AC with no refrigerant could work. Ours worked well enough to keep us relatively comfy.

I had to go on a mission because I had failed to pack the charger for the GoPro. I wound up in a Wal-Mart and Delta is a strange place. Before I got back to the hotel I had to deal with some true freaks of nature. I am sure that legalizing marijuana contributed to some of this.

I returned to find Pop lying across his bed looking sick and old. I brought him some bottled water and he sipped that while looking miserable. My cousins next door said they wished they could throw their supper up too. "My body refuses to digest this garbage," Cousin 'Wing told me. "It is just a rock in my guts. You better figure out what we are doing for breakfast because we are NOT eating in that shit hole tomorrow morning."

And we didn't.

To be continued.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9041.jpg (55.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9044.jpg (48.9 KB, 44 views)