ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old August 22nd, 2014   #11
Iamike
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Redfish Climbs Colorado

Red, I'd love to ride with you & your dad sometime. He sounds like my type of riding partner.
Old August 23rd, 2014   #12
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 111 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Day 3 July 6th

We started off okay but a little late. Pop was impatient. My cousins went souvenir shopping in the lobby. Pop wondered why they did not do that yesterday.

We had a very good breakfast at Kix on 66. Pop felt that we wasted too much time. I had to take more pics of Cousin HD in front of Rt. 66 murals. Pop felt we wasted too much time. We had to get ice for our water cooler. Pop felt we took too long. Then, I forgot to return my room key and had to go back. Pop was about to lose it...

We took Hwy 104 Northeast out of Tucumcari toward Las Vegas NM. I really like this road and it represents a complete change in our trip. We stopped at Conchas Dam State Park for a bio break. My cousins went off hunting mule deer. Pop was... disgusted.

We were having a decent ride up Hwy 434 to Angel Fire when I came into a set of tight corners a little hot. The pavement was broken and uneven and I let the ST drift wide to miss that. Pop elected to hold his line. I was watching him in my mirror and knew he was dragging his peg but he was actually laughing about it and his voice in my headset was happy.

About a hundred miles later he noticed that he had touched a little harder than we thought. Then he was upset and it was my fault for riding too fast.

At each rest stop he seemed less and less patient with my cousins and me. I was getting on edge from him fussing at me in the headset. This trip was not the happy one I expected it to be.

1) Hwy 104 New Mexico
2) Grouchy Pop
3) Hwy 434 New Mexico
4) Hwy 434 and Grouchy Pop
5) Pop's Brake Pedal Touched Pavement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8963.jpg (46.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8959.jpg (52.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8974.jpg (47.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8979.jpg (53.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8989.jpg (55.7 KB, 53 views)
Old August 23rd, 2014   #13
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
There is a chrome fender extender that has caused us misery for the entire 3 years that my cousin has owned the 'Wing. It has at various times cut into the front tire, broken the fender, broken the fender, cut into the tire, broken the fender... But, we cannot remove it because it looks good. .

And here I was almost going to give up my theories about brakes and brake fluid....

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!

Last edited by echo; August 23rd, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014   #14
Iamike
Loquacious Member

I can relate to the issues of dealing with other riders in the group. When five of us went to Utah a few years ago I got to the point where I just went off on my own for the rest of the day. It helped clear my head of the frustration and I enjoyed the whole afternoon.
Later on, two of us broke off and rode the rest of the trip by ourselves. Two of the guys just had different ideas on what the trip should be like and it was causing too much tension to keep the trip enjoyable.
Old August 23rd, 2014   #15
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 153 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
I'm much like your dad.

I've ridden with some buddies of mine who are great friends but, they just march to a different drummer when it comes to getting somewhere. LOL

My personality is primarily what is called "a Driver" or a "Red" or whatever you call a person who wants a quick, succinct answer or likes to get something done quickly and correctly. I drive my wife crazy.

But then, when she fiddle-farts around in a clothing store SHOPPING, that drives me crazy. Get in, get whatever it is you want, and get out! Sheesh, is that so hard? ;-)

I've had to take training to learn how to "get-along" with different personality types and I've found that, although I'm still mildly annoyed, I can live with it easier. It probably saved our marriage as I realized that my wife wasn't the one at fault, it was me and how I was dealing with things.

The good news was that I can control what I do.

You can control it but do you?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014   #16
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 111 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

After one bad false attempt to eat up high on the ski slope mountain in Angel Fire (gravel parking lot, steep incline, no place to park) we ate a very decent lunch in the town of Angel Fire. Lunch always seems to take a very long time in these places.

Just north of Angel Fire we took a left (West) on Hwy 64. The next town is Taos but between us and there is Palo Flechado Pass. I think we were all fortunate that I got caught behind slower traffic. That road is terrific. The curves, the scenery and the smell of the spruce trees, wonderful. Just wonderful.

Taos has to be Spanish for "I DON'T WANNA GO!!!" because no one is in any kind of hurry to do anything close to the speed limit. Green lights? That is no reason to move forward. Why not just sit and ponder the meaning of green?

But, just 7 or so miles west of Taos on Hwy 64 we crossed the Rio Grande Gorge. The bridge is pretty impressive I guess. Lots of folks seem to think so anyway. They wander around aimlessly taking pics of it all. The fact that the roadway is for vehicles seems to have very little effect on their stumbles. A nice rest area is on the West side of the gorge and we did take a few pics ourselves. It looked much like last year. And just like last year there was a huge thunderstorm in the desert between us and the mountains. That rain, just like last year, followed us up into the mountains preventing me from playing on the fantastic curves that ascend after 64 crosses 285.

We stopped at the huge pulloff atop what I think is Hopewell Pass. About 11K feet elevation there. It is quiet and pretty there.

We stayed on Hwy 64 headed west across New Mexico all the way to Bloomfield. We had a decent BBQ supper at Serious TX BBQ and stayed at a decent hotel, Best Western Bloomfield but it had been a long day.

The front fender on the GoldWing was broken again, this time in another spot.

Pop was grouchy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8983.jpg (51.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8988.jpg (51.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8990.jpg (53.6 KB, 49 views)
Old August 23rd, 2014   #17
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 153 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Reminds me of this bridge, in central Oregon.
https://www.google.com/search?q=croo...ml%3B665%3B427

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014   #18
Redfish
Donators

Day 4 Monday 7/7/14

Pop was ready to ride. He wanted to grab the FCB (Free Continental Breakfast) and head out. Cousin 'Wing wanted a big breakfast. He loves to eat a huge breakfast. Cousin HD was just happy to be there.

Then, a disagreement that should have been minor turned into a standoff. I instructed Cousin HD to calm his uncle while I went with Cousin 'Wing next door for a Huge Breakfast.

My breakfast at The Roadside Café was really wonderful. The waitress was really pretty, did a good job and the food was very good. We both had the Breakfast Steak and eggs and hash browns and toast and... You get the idea.

Walked back to the hotel, Cousin HD is waiting in the lobby. He says his uncle is upstairs getting his stuff. Well, it was not that simple. His uncle was in fact so mad he was shaking. He was going over my maps.

I will edit this for the benefit of us all, there were plenty of words you would not say in front of your grandmother:
"Watcha doin' Pop?"
"I am trying to find the quickest shortest way back home. I am tired of dealing with you (expletive deleted). If you all want to sleep in every morning and then go eat like a bunch of starving walruses, you go right damn ahead. I just want to go ride my bike. Ride my BIKE! Do you understand? I can sleep late in my bed at home, I can eat breakfast at home. I don't need to do all that here. I WANT TO RIDE MY %$$ MOTORCYCLE!"

Oh boy. Seems my cousin had not calmed his uncle down after all. So, I patiently explained to Pop about vacations, enjoyment, time scheduling, my wonderful plans... I got him to see reason and we went out to the bikes.

As we rolled out of the parking lot I could hear the broken front fender rattling on the GoldWing even over the noise of the radios blaring on the 'Wing and the HD.

We jumped back on Hwy 64 headed West. We passed through Farmington and then into the town of ShipRock New Mexico. I really wanted to see ShipRock. The rock itself, not the town.

We stopped at a store for a bag of ice and some bottles of water for the chest while Cousin 'Wing lay on the asphalt playing with his broken front fender. Pop gritted his teeth and said nothing.

I walked out with the ice and water and Cousin 'Wing handed me the Chromed Plastic Fender Extender that I had been unsuccessfully trying to get him to throw away for the past 3 years.

"I think this is my whole problem. What do you think?"

I opened my mouth but no words would come out. They all 3 dissolved into laughter and my cousin wrapped me in a crushing bear hug.

"Let's throw that trash away and go for a ride! Come on!" he said.

Even Pop was grinning when we pulled out of the parking lot.

We did have to stop at the border though.

1) Shiprock from the town of ShipRock
2) Shiprock as seen from the CO/NM border
3 and 4) my cousins at the CO sign
5) Ole Blue pointed North
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8991.jpg (53.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8993.jpg (51.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9000.jpg (52.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9004.jpg (52.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8997.jpg (49.3 KB, 43 views)
Old August 23rd, 2014   #19
Redfish
Donators

In case you guys are lost, ShipRock is just a bit South and East of The 4 corners. Essentially the closest town in New Mexico to the 4 corners. It is a very dry, very brown area. We headed North toward Cortez CO and once north of Cortez the landscape changed to green and beautiful. We were on Hwy 145 which is truly a beautiful road. This is the scenery that most folks picture when they think of Colorado.

The group was getting happier and I explained to them that although we had to cover a certain distance that day the ride would not be a LD punishment, there would be curves and lower speed limits for the most part and that we should have less total saddle time. Everyone was pleased at this point.

We followed 145 up through Norwood where we had a very nice lunch served by a very nice (and nice looking) young lady and everything was clicking into place with my trip. Finally.

1) SW Colorado turns green
2) Ole Blue on Hwy 145
3) Me getting artistic
4) Cousin HD just happy to be there (Hwy 145)
5) Ole Blue (Dances with Rain) watching the clouds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9005.jpg (47.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9006.jpg (51.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9007.jpg (61.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9009.jpg (46.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9011.jpg (56.7 KB, 45 views)
Old August 24th, 2014   #20
Redfish
Donators

Just before Lizard Head Pass on Hwy 145 we noticed a haze between us and the mountains. We were in disagreement as to the cause. I said rain. Pop said fog. The cousins said smoke from forest fires.

I just love being right. And then there was road damage and sitting in traffic in that rain. But, it was all so beautiful that it was okay. There was also a plentiful amount of snow still on the mountains. Snow is something special to 4 South Louisiana motorcyclists.

1) Ole Blue at Lizard Head Pass
2) Rain on the mountain
3) Rain on the mountain
4) Traffic! and rain
5) ST at Lizard Head Pass Summit, in rain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9014.jpg (53.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9016.jpg (51.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9019.jpg (48.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9020.jpg (52.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9022.jpg (53.0 KB, 41 views)