ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old August 22nd, 2014   #1
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 105 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Redfish Climbs Colorado

Okay, it is way overdue (late!) but my normal method of writing one RR and then copy/paste will no longer work. The pics don't transfer over. So, the RR has to be re-written because the whole format changes without the pics helping tell the story. The original RR is now posted on the very nice website roadsandriders.com. However, I love sharing with you guys so I think it is worth the effort to do this. Please be patient with me, this is going to take a while...

To get this first part out of the way, many of you remember that in my RR 2 years ago my Harley riding cousin crashed his bike and spent 6 days in ICU. He should not be alive. What happened on that wet Mississippi road between him, me, the Harley and ... Well, we are not going to get into that discussion. I am just happy to have him alive. He is healthy and well and has a new Harley.

So... On Friday July 4th myself, Pop, 'Wing and HD set out on this year's Best Trip Ever. From South Louisiana to Colorado and back home.
Old August 22nd, 2014   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 105 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Redfish Climbs Colorado

Day 1 Friday July 4th

Cousin HD met Pop and myself at my parent's home on his Shiny Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide with the 110 inch Screaming Eagle Motor. It is a beautiful bike. It actually runs very well and he loves it.

We met Cousin 'Wing at Magnolia Beach Bridge just outside Denham Springs LA and crossed over the Amite River to begin our journey NorthWest. I like to take backroads rather than interstates whenever I can and today was no different.

Pop was grouchy because it seemed my two cousins were moving too slowly and wasting time at each stop. He stayed grouchy for most of this trip.

The weather stayed relatively cool until after lunch when we crossed the Texas border just West of Shreveport LA. My two cousins just will not believe us about the benefits of good riding gear. They suffered from the heat while Pop and I stayed happy in our jackets.

We weaved through Northeast Texas to spend the night in Sherman just a few miles North of Dallas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8903.jpg (55.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8904.jpg (54.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8905.jpg (51.4 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8906.jpg (51.6 KB, 158 views)
Old August 22nd, 2014   #3
Redfish
Donators

Day 2 Sat. July 5th

A good breakfast at the IHOP in Sherman and we headed West on Hwy 82. Although it is straight I really like Hwy 82. It passes through a nice section of Texas and I love the scenery there.

At a small rest area we had to work on the front fender of the GoldWing. There is a chrome fender extender that has caused us misery for the entire 3 years that my cousin has owned the 'Wing. It has at various times cut into the front tire, broken the fender, broken the fender, cut into the tire, broken the fender... But, we cannot remove it because it looks good. Oh, boy.

On Hwy 287 headed NW to Amarillo the wind was blowing. No, what I meant was The WIND!!! Was Blowing. There are wind turbines on the side of Hwy 287. Because the Wind Never Stops Blowing there.

We stopped at The Big Texan in Amarillo for a late lunch. No 72 ounce ribeye for me, I ate the relatively small 21 ounce sirloin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8909.jpg (51.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8915.jpg (50.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8917.jpg (60.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8924.jpg (62.2 KB, 155 views)
Old August 22nd, 2014   #4
Redfish
Donators

We took I-40 West out of Amarillo Texas toward Tucumcari New Mexico. The wind was relentless. By that time it was very hot and the wind... Both cousins were determined that their bike was the best bike and so no one wanted to admit that the cross winds had tired them out.

We had wasted some time earlier that day sitting in the heat of North Texas while Cousin 'Wing went shopping for some JB Weld to repair the fender so Pop was even more grouchy.

I felt certain that once we got to Tucumcari and our little motel everyone would cheer up.

We stayed at The Blue Swallow Motel again this year. This little jewel is a restored Rt. 66 masterpiece. The owners are wonderful, they have done a stellar job bringing this place back to it's 1953 condition. You really do step back in time here. I recommend making reservations ahead of time though. There was an endless string of cars pulling in and then being turned away.

We worked on repairing the fender on the 'Wing and then...

The Questions.

How far are we going? Are we going to the Grand Canyon? Are we going to Utah? Are we going to Yellowstone? Why not? Why NOT?

Well Damn. I research these trips, I plan these trips, I schedule and budget time. I cannot create time. If we are limited in time we are also limited in the things we can see. Now I am grouchy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8931.jpg (50.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8935.jpg (58.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8938.jpg (54.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8936.jpg (56.5 KB, 153 views)
Old August 22nd, 2014   #5
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

This is starting to sound like the Keystone Cops. LOL

Tell your cousins that I took one look at their riding attire and christened them, "Organ donors".

Maybe we can scare them into ATGATT.

;-)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014   #6
Redfish
Donators

I think that after one of them nearly died and he KNOWS that if he had not been wearing my Dad's loaner full face he would be dead, there is no scaring them into good sense.

Anyway, back on topic:

A few more pics of The Blue Swallow. The old Ford actually ran and they took it for a drive while we watched.

This place is really nice and unique. Earlier in the day before we got there Harley Davidson used the place for a photo shoot for the new LiveWire electric Harley. We missed all that, but that just shows what a cool place this is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8945.jpg (57.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8951.jpg (52.0 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8956.jpg (55.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8955.jpg (52.5 KB, 150 views)
Old August 22nd, 2014   #7
chaissos
Donators

Forget it, Joe. Red's tried to scare them into it, I'm positive. That simply won't work.

But Yay! A Redfish Report! Now I don't have to threaten him with a visit and actually go to LA.
....I know, I'm welcome...you are, too, you know.

Last edited by chaissos; August 22nd, 2014 at 01:54 PM.
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014   #8
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I'm looking forward to when Red's dad finally gets so annoyed that he clocks the cousin.

STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old August 22nd, 2014   #9
Redfish
Donators

We had our moments. Normally all goes smoothly and we all get along wonderfully. Pop was unusually grouchy this time and had no patience. One of the things he has grown to HATE!!! is that every trip we end up at a Harley dealership somewhere. He HATES that. We always have to get a T-shirt, get a tire (two different trips!) get something done...

I think, or I really know that I had some fairly high mileage days that were not as much fun as I wanted because Out West you have to get from place to place . There is nothing in between where you can just shut it down for the night. Also we did not have as much discussion time at the end of each day. Those talks about how great the day's ride was tend to actually make those rides better.

Also, I think Pop is wanting to see as much as he can, while he still can. Riding a high performance motorcycle across this vast country is a young man's game he thinks. I know better.
Old August 22nd, 2014   #10
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I'm much like your dad.

I've ridden with some buddies of mine who are great friends but, they just march to a different drummer when it comes to getting somewhere. LOL

My personality is primarily what is called "a Driver" or a "Red" or whatever you call a person who wants a quick, succinct answer or likes to get something done quickly and correctly. I drive my wife crazy.

But then, when she fiddle-farts around in a clothing store SHOPPING, that drives me crazy. Get in, get whatever it is you want, and get out! Sheesh, is that so hard? ;-)

I've had to take training to learn how to "get-along" with different personality types and I've found that, although I'm still mildly annoyed, I can live with it easier. It probably saved our marriage as I realized that my wife wasn't the one at fault, it was me and how I was dealing with things.

The good news was that I can control what I do.

STOC# 929, IBA# 218