ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old October 21st, 2013   #1
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default First ride in a long time

It's been months since I was out on my ST and I got the urge yesterday. I had my bike's nose apart trying to solve my HID issue and install a new GPS.

I thought I had fixed the HID by replacing the capsule but, it went out again during this ride.

Mark Reis called to ask me some computer questions and I agreed to ride up to his place to assist him.

It felt great to be back on the bike. I hadn't had a chance to try out my new "used" Russell Day-Long seat yet so, this would be the test ride.

Everything except for the silly-assed right HID worked great. I took it easy at first and took the main highway up to Mark's place.

It was a brisk 50 degrees out, although it felt much cooler. My insulated riding jacket and heated grips were more than enough to combat the cold.

The Russell felt grand compared to the stock seat I had been using. The former owner was my height and build so, I was pretty sure his old seat would work for me well. The rear has some stains on it (I think its rust) that I'll need to see about cleaning off. I've tried ArmorAll, Lexol, S100, and WD40 (per Mark's suggestion). The WD40 actually helped but, there's still a lot of stain left.

I got up to Mark's around 2pm and we got his computer issue solved. Then he took me out for coffee and we chatted. It had been several months since we had spoken so, there was a lot to catch up on.

Mark had completed his "Race bike", an old Honda inline that he setup for racing around the local tracks. I'll have to get a picture of it next time I'm up there. It's pretty nice.

He said that the F3's, and other 600 cc sport bikes would blow past him in the straight-a-ways but, he'd catch and pass them in the corners while they were jammed on their brakes slowing. Old age and cunning and all that. ;-)

Heading home, I decided to take my favorite twisty route but, I kept it conservative. Especially after seeing two Deer feeding at the beginning.

The ST felt so natural. It didn't take me long to get back into carving the curves and using my knees and feet for body steering inputs in addition to my regular counter-steering. Body steering helps make those tiny adjustments to your line or maintain your line. It's like fine-tuning (if you are old enough to have had a TV with fine-tuning). ;-)

I made it home fine but, I'm going to have to tear that nose apart again to see why the right HID went out again. While I have it off, I may just finish installing my Kisan TireAlert (I haven't installed the display unit yet).

Not much of a ride report, I know.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: First ride in a long time

At least you still remember how. Glad you are still one of us.