ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old October 23rd, 2013   #61
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 109 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A Las Vegas Quickie

Now that you have time to add your excellent prose to the pictures I am loving this RR. I am still a bit jealous.
Old October 24th, 2013   #62
Iamike
Loquacious Member

Well, as in all rides you know soon it will be time to head home. This one has been pretty special. Its been several years since I have been able to ride with my son. His screwy work schedule and my busy schedule have prevented us from doing any trips together. We had planned a trip to Arkansas last year but he changed jobs right before and had to cancel.

I have wanted to ride in this area for quite awhile and just couldn't quite fit it in. When my wife and I came out to Moab last month I had told myself that that would probably be the last trip out here. But before we left to go home I was already making plans to return next year. And there were still roads that I didn't get to on this one. So many roads, so little time.
I didn't realize the road into the North Rim from 89a was 45mi. long! it was pretty desolate and there were few vehicles. I prefer to ride that way, never have liked crowds. It was getting late in the day when I made it to the North Rim and since it was so hazy I didn't stick around too long, had tracks to make.
The original plan was that I was going to ride up to Page for the night then meet Drew in Flagstaff Sunday for the ride home. Remembering what the guys from Houston had said about getting the 'last room' in town I stopped to take a break along the way and make reservations. Guess what, no cell service. Oh well, I'll just stop later down the road. Rode through towns called Vermillion Cliffs and Marble Canyon. Kind of expected a little more with names like that, but what the heck.
As I was riding up to the intersection with 89 I figured that would be a good place to stop and call for reservations when I see the 'ROAD CLOSED' sign. Son of a gun, I would have screwed myself if I would have made the reservations in Page since it was just about as far as Flagstaff. May as well head down there and see what I can find.
Stopped in Cameron for gas and had a Japanese tourist come up and say "Ya, Honda, made in Japan" That was all the English he knew. I tried to talk to a couple more from his bus but they didn't speak English either. After much bowing, we communicated and moved on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68a.jpg (85.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 69a.jpg (135.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 70a.jpg (88.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 71a.jpg (75.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 72a.jpg (95.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 73a.jpg (78.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 74a.jpg (40.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 75a.jpg (63.9 KB, 55 views)
Old October 25th, 2013   #63
Guaglio

Nice RR, I really enjoy your combination of stories and associated pictures! They just make me want to ride that much more. My riding days for this year are quickly coming to an end as old man winter is starting to move in, and the temps are starting to plummet. When I rode yesterday, it was 30 degrees, with a wind chill just south of 27 on the highway. I'll soon be living vicariously through ride reports like yours...thank you.
Eddie
Guaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013   #64
Iamike
Loquacious Member

I had mentioned my overnight in Flagstaff so I won't go over that again.

By the time we took off at 2:00 the wind was really blowing. Being from the SW it was helpful but still buffeted us a lot. Drew was pretty tired from his party so there were a lot of stops for Red Bull.

Monday's ride was the same and we rode 12hrs. to make it to Kansas. Just a little rain dampened our spirits.

Woke up to skies on Tuesday but now the wind was out of the west which buffeted all over again. Finally made it home after another 12hrs. of riding. Tired but happily to be home.

Even though we never needed the extra fuel it gave us peace of mind. A couple of times I thought we would need it because he would ride until his fuel light would come on. Out there it might be 25-50mi. between stations.

I didn't use my rainsuit. The regular gear did its job. Didn't use the camping gear either due to circumstances. Still gave me peace of mind just in case.

Really glad we didn't get tickets. I look at them as a waste of money just to save a few minutes.

I wish I would have brought my daughter's waterproof camera, worn around my neck. I missed some pretty neat shots because we were trying to make time. For some reason my photo editor doesn't like its pictures.

Otherwise both bikes ran great, no flats. We had a couple close calls with innatentive drivers but survived. Overall it was a great trip.

Last edited by Iamike; October 26th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
Iamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013   #65
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 109 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I thought you knew about the road into the North Rim. Just a few miles north of the Grand Canyon Lodge the road that cuts East is a very fine and beautiful ride also. That one takes you to Angel's Window and would have been well worth your time. Oh well, you can't ride them all.

Your son has my respect. 12 hours on a Sport Bike, even one as nice as that BMW has to be tough. In the pics he looks kind of tall for a Sport Bike. 2 long days in a row on a bike like that has got to be tough.
Old October 26th, 2013   #66
Iamike
Loquacious Member

Eddie,
Next summer I will try and take a couple extra.days when I come up to Park Rapids and swing up through Duluth. We can meet up and ride a little, maybe. I did that several years ago and then took Hwy 2 west. Real nice ride.

Red, I saw that road but it was closed for the winter. Definitely have to go back someday. Retirement looks better all the time.
Old November 24th, 2013   #67
Iamike
Loquacious Member

As I was looking through my posts I see in #37, 2nd picture, the pickup just about took me out. When the Valley of Fire hwy intersected with hwy 12, that leads down to Lake Mead, I had pulled up to the road closed sign to take a picture. I had turned cross-ways to take the picture when I heard squealing tires.

I look to my right and see this crappy old pickup, with a beater trailer, headed right at me and not slowing down. Don't know what this guy was thinking driving so fast there, but he was going to hit me if I didn't roll out of the way. He slid by as I was rolling backwards to miss the crash. I yelled at him but he seemed to be oblivious to the whole situation. I just packed up and moved on.

Then on the last day, first in the morning, my son had a van come clear over in his lane. We talked about that later on how that would have kind of ruined our day if he wasn't paying attention. Needless to say, my wife didn't hear about those instances.
Old November 27th, 2013   #68
horst

nice report !

yeah that 80 mph highway in UT is amazing eh ? ... especially for us on Vancouver Island where 90km/h is normal ! .... HA .... enjoyed that flying feeling a few years back
horst is offline   Reply With Quote