ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1100 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1100.

Old May 9th, 2013   #11
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rider mag ST comparo

VIN decoder.
http://researchmaniacs.com/VIN/VIN-Decoder.html

Paul
Old May 10th, 2013   #12
Wjbertrand
ST guru

I wonder if Honda just keeps excess models in inventory, then stamps the VIN just before shipping?
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013   #13
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 91 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjbertrand View Post
I wonder if Honda just keeps excess models in inventory, then stamps the VIN just before shipping?
No. VIN's are applied at the factory.
As far as inventory.
Older models can be sold as long as the sale price does not go under the cost of manufacture. In 1976 Honda got caught selling several models at below cost. "Dumping" was the official term applied. Honda was forced to pay a fine and, to do what I thought was a strange punishment, buyers of the affected models were given money back. So in effect you bought a bike at below cost then it was discounted even further.
Today most non current year models are "donated" to the motorcycle industry supported schools, MMI etc. This gives the manufacture a tax credit and the dealers a steady supply of "entry level technicians" that have actually seen a relatively current model.

Paul
Old May 10th, 2013   #14
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Strange how they list a cargo net for the "optional rear luggage rack" and yet, there's no "rear luggage rack" listed. That's an item I'd be interested in. I don't really need a top box (although I want one), but a rack might suit me. Better yet, a rack and top box that have the same fitment so I can swap them as I please with some ease.
The luggage rack is standard equipment on ST1300's.
That is what the top box attaches to/through.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013   #15
chaissos
Donators

Ah...I suppose you could call it a luggage rack. Far too small to be of any real use, IMO. I guess I hadn't thought that far into it. Beyond the handles, I find it pretty useless.
Old May 13th, 2013   #16
horst

Maura,

have you actually seen a 2013 ST1300 ? ....

I'll bet if there were one, the manufacture date would be late 2012 - as in 11/2012 or 12/2012 ... Rider mag said no 2013 sport tourers were available from Honda, and I don't think any actually exist
horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013   #17
maura
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horst View Post
Maura,

have you actually seen a 2013 ST1300 ? ....

I'll bet if there were one, the manufacture date would be late 2012 - as in 11/2012 or 12/2012 ... Rider mag said no 2013 sport tourers were available from Honda, and I don't think any actually exist
I am reporting what is on the Honda Canada website. I have not seen one, but I have not looked, with a new 2012 I am hardly in the market. The actual date of manufacturer is irrelevant, that is an internal Honda decision. Even if manufactured in 2012, if the VIN says it is a 2013 it is a 2013. I leave it to others to decide if Rider magazine or Honda Canada website is a more credible source of what is available from Honda Canada.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013   #18
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 125 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

It is my understanding that the VIN (frame and engine) numbers are stamped at the point of manufacture/assembly. In the UK we are not hugely concerned with that date, especially if there is no actual change to the model (we have a wider range of colours available as standard anyway), so what counts for us is the date of registration. Our registration plates provide a big clue as to the registration periods as well.

I attach a sample of a UK registration plate. The yellow background tells you that it is a rear plate. The oblong shape tells you that it is not a motorcycle plate (which are more or less square). The GB mark woth stars around it is the European Union member country identifier (not compulsory in the UK but if you travel abroad then you either have to have that identifier or a separate GB sticker affixed prominently to the rear of the vehicle). The number consists of 2 letters, 2 numbers, then three letters. Working through in order, from left to right:

L = London
A = Wimbledon, a borough of London
5 = registered between September 1 and February 28/29
1 = 2001/2002
ABC = random 3 letters, in theory starting at AAA and working up to ZZZ.

So my ST1300 has the registration OU03JVP which is on a square plate, with yellow background and the EU member state badge with the registration number laid out thus:

OU03
JVP

O = Oxford
U = Oxford (there are no boroughs of Oxford)
0 = registered between March 1 and August 31
3 = 2003/2004
JVP = random 3 letters.

ST1300's are listed in the UK on the Honda site and on dealer sites. My ST1300 is going in tomorrow for a service, annual test and an FI warning to be attended to. The dealer has ST1300's listed for sale available in Candy Glory Red, Digital Silver Metallic and Pearl Cosmic Black (erm... that's red, silver and black). I can get a brochure, get a finance quotation, or a trade-in quotation, or book a test ride. I have no idea whether the colours are last years and therefore so passť, or not.

My Bonneville was manufactured in April 1977 but was registered in January 1978. 35 years later, that seems a little insignificant!
Attached Images
File Type: png 200px-British_vehicle_registration_plate_EU.PNG (8.8 KB, 25 views)
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS

Last edited by DickPeake; May 14th, 2013 at 07:35 AM.
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013   #19
horst

the real question I think is ...

has Honda given up on the ST1300 design .... and I think they have

that would be ok if there were a shiny new ST1400 or whatever on the horizon - this does not seem to be the case .... or a revamped VFR1200T fully decked out for Touring .... so that is a bit disappointing yes.

but my 2009 (registered in late 2010 ) is doing just fiiiiine
horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013   #20
PaulRB
The Grouch

We go through this every year and it got particularly bad the first year we went without a ST. We continually hear about the "inside" information that some friends brother that knows the wife of a second cousin who lives next to the janitor that sweeps the garage at the Gardena HQ of American Honda was told. None of them are ever correct, EVER.
Honda has a long history of doing as they see fit and ignoring rumor, innuendo, half truths, and outright lies.
With the exception of the PR screw-up forcing a early release of information about the 1800 Wing I do not recall a single instance where anyone knew anything before the public display at the dealer launch.

So now we are going to question the reliability of information from a magazine and the actual distributor of the product, that should be fun. It is actually a little late to start the speculation on the configuration of the next best thing it being the start of riding season and all but I guess you do need some distraction when not actually riding.

So here we are ver. 11.1a of ST Dream Configuration.

Get after it.

Paul