ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1100 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1100.

Old May 8th, 2013   #1
horst

Default Rider mag ST comparo

not this was covered yet, but -

Rider magazine has just done a sport touring comparo and did not include a single Honda ! .... the bikes were -

BMW K1600GT
BMW R1200RT
C-14
FJR1300
Triumph Trophy

I would have guessed they pick the BMW as it's all the rage, but the Trophy and FJR came in last !
horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013   #2
PeterMoorhouse

Rep Power: 0 PeterMoorhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Very strange to exclude the Hondas. I wonder why.
PeterMoorhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013   #3
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rider mag ST comparo

Because there is no 2013 model.
I think you will find the last comparo was done in 2011 and there was no ST in it either, there was no 2011 ST.

Paul
Old May 8th, 2013   #4
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Paul is correct. No 2013 model and no updates or changes to a very outdated platform.

On a semi-related note, I saw the new Triumph today in person for the first time. I pulled into the gas station and introduced myself to the rider. He says the thing has been in the shop more than it has been on the road. They finally found the problem, a defect in the wiring harness. He raved about how well it handles, how comfortable, the radio, the heated grips etc. He was a very nice guy and invited me to a weekly breakfast with some local Sport Touring riders.

At a distance it is a good looking bike, up close it looks like a beached whale. I have read over and over how great the 3 cylinder Triumphs sound. My opinion is they sound like garbage.
Old May 8th, 2013   #5
maura
Super Moderator

Maybe the 2013 is not in the USA , but there is a 2013 ST1300 available in Canada. Until a month or so ago they listed 2012 also, but that is gone and only 2013 is listed.

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/touring/st1300a

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013   #6
chaissos
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
Maybe the 2013 is not in the USA , but there is a 2013 ST1300 available in Canada. Until a month or so ago they listed 2012 also, but that is gone and only 2013 is listed.

Strange how they list a cargo net for the "optional rear luggage rack" and yet, there's no "rear luggage rack" listed. That's an item I'd be interested in. I don't really need a top box (although I want one), but a rack might suit me. Better yet, a rack and top box that have the same fitment so I can swap them as I please with some ease.
Old May 9th, 2013   #7
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post

But it's discounted.

Paul
Old May 9th, 2013   #8
horst

Maura is right about the link, but I'm guessinf they are leftover 2012's ...

that said there is not a single ST1300 in any Island showroom .... none

they are done my friends ... gone the way of the dinosaurs ... oh wait mine was just on the road last night, having a blast on the Island's backroads ....
horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013   #9
PaulRB
The Grouch

Manufactures can not alter date of manufacture or model year designation. These dates are taken quite seriously by governments throughout the world. A MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin) is the legal document that has all dates and serial numbers involved with the vehicle and it is this document that is taken very seriously throughout the world. Without this document no import license can be had. Without a import license no title can be had. Without the ability to title the vehicle no sale can take place.
As late as 1980, that I know of, we still were issued MSO's by Honda. You, as the dealer, actually bought the MSO from Honda. The dealer held the MSO until the vehicle was sold and then transferred the MSO to the state issuing the title and then the title was issued in the buyers name. It was in 1980, or very shortly thereafter, the motor vehicle law governing MSO's was altered and a simple title was issued. Pre 1980 it was fairly common to just give the MSO to the buyer if they were registering the vehicle themselves.
A lost MSO brought on serious problems that could take months and substantial dollar amounts to rectify.

Paul
Old May 9th, 2013   #10
maura
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Manufactures can not alter date of manufacture or model year designation. These dates are taken quite seriously by governments throughout the world. A MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin) is the legal document that has all dates and serial numbers involved with the vehicle and it is this document that is taken very seriously throughout the world. Without this document no import license can be had. Without a import license no title can be had. Without the ability to title the vehicle no sale can take place.
As late as 1980, that I know of, we still were issued MSO's by Honda. You, as the dealer, actually bought the MSO from Honda. The dealer held the MSO until the vehicle was sold and then transferred the MSO to the state issuing the title and then the title was issued in the buyers name. It was in 1980, or very shortly thereafter, the motor vehicle law governing MSO's was altered and a simple title was issued. Pre 1980 it was fairly common to just give the MSO to the buyer if they were registering the vehicle themselves.
A lost MSO brought on serious problems that could take months and substantial dollar amounts to rectify.

Paul

What Paul said. My understanding is that the 10th digit of the VIN number is the year, this is set at the time of manufacture.

I was told at the dealer today there are no 2012 models left, but 2013 is available. The website noted two different discounts, I was told $1000 off yes, $3000 off, no, that was for the 2012s. The 2012s were up on the website until recently.

Out of curiosity, anyone in other countries (other than Canada and the US) able to let us know the availability?

Canada and the US often differ in which Hondas they sell. The CBR125 is a big seller here.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote