ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Motorcycle Roads, Routes & Rides > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Want to tell everyone about your latest trip? Post it here.

Old July 23rd, 2013   #51
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 150 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Go West Young Man (On a dirt bike this time)

Sorry to hear that.
I know what it's like.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013   #52
Iamike
Loquacious Member

After some thought I think I will head out West anyway. Redfish's writeup on his trip reminds me of how much I enjoy that part of the country.

Instead of starting in CO and doing a big loop I think hitting spots around UT, to start. Then just do day trips out of each basecamp. One complaint that I have is that we don't spend enough time at each place we visit.

I could camp at Bluff, UT, and spend a couple full days checking out those sites. Maybe head over to Page, AZ, and see those that I never have before. Then make it back to Moab and visit Hurrah Pass, since that trip was cut short last time. I'd like to visit some if the other places on the DR that I may not be able to the way our current politicians want to restrict remote access.

One of the guys that was thinking about riding with us on his F800GS has already decided to ride road bikes out to UT with his girlfriend on his roadbike. Maybe I'll just meet them out there.
Old July 25th, 2013   #53
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I have to tell you that everywhere in Colorado that a dual sport rider would want to go, there were Forest Acess Roads. EVERYWHERE. I don't have a dual sport but I want one badly. Those roads were mocking me, whispering an invitation that was hard to resist. I could see that new Honda CRF250L getting closer... NO! I will not give in to that. Yet.

While I was waiting a ridiculously long time for my lunch in Lake City CO there were dual sports of all types, filthy dirty, all over the place. They would come by in large groups and I was envious. Curiously, at least 80% were KTMs.
Old July 25th, 2013   #54
Iamike
Loquacious Member

That was probably the ADV Riders Rocky Moumtain Adventure Ride. A buddy from Phoenix is on it and posting pics on FB. If I would have known the planned ride would fall through I would have jumped on this one.
I did one near Steamboat several years ago. Scared the hell out of me on a couple sections. Water up to my knees on a water crossing was pretty cool but one guy went down. Had to pull his spark plug and turn the bike upside down.
Old July 26th, 2013   #55
rodm850g

Thumbs up Re: Go West Young Man (On a dirt bike this time)

Guys,
There is a large contingent of fellows from the "Dixie Dual Sport" group heading out west very soon. I take it that this is a ride near and dear to them, and from pics I've seen from the folks in this group the scenery is breath taking, I must admit I'm a bit envious myself.....I'm going through some medical problems now but if I can get this behind me I would love to give this one a go...Seems KTM gets real good support further out West than on the Right Coast...that 500 EXC or even the 2 smoker 300 , well they have the magic button on them ....One fellow has 5 bikes on a trailer and 2 in the bed of his truck....It does seem the dial sport segment is gaining popularity in the sport...What with KTM gaining control of Husqvarna and supposedly merging them with an old marque Husaberg there should be some interesting machinery on tap for future bikes....In my home town ,in just the last year D/Soprts are popping up everywhere........
Old August 1st, 2013   #56
Iamike
Loquacious Member

Well here's another twist to the saga. I still haven't convinced my wife that I should go out to Utah anyway. Then my son stops by and says he is going to ride his cycle to a wedding in Las Vegas this Oct.
The wheels in my mind start turning; She can't say no to that, I can scratch off Nevada as a state I haven't ridden in, and I can tour NW Ariz & SW Utah. Also the topic would turn into an ST1300 topic (making the hardcores happy).
But I'm still going to try making Utah too.
Old August 2nd, 2013   #57
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Lost Wages is really close to the borders of both Utah and Arizona. Head over to Kanab, UT and you'll be within striking distance of several cool National parks including the Grand Canyon N.P.

Then there's also Zion N. P. and Lake Mead National Recreation Area.

All this talk about dirt riding has me salivating over an unusual dual-sport, the Christini AWD 450DS (http://www.christini.com/bikes/christini-awd-450-ds)

One of these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamike View Post
Well here's another twist to the saga. I still haven't convinced my wife that I should go out to Utah anyway. Then my son stops by and says he is going to ride his cycle to a wedding in Las Vegas this Oct.
The wheels in my mind start turning; She can't say no to that, I can scratch off Nevada as a state I haven't ridden in, and I can tour NW Ariz & SW Utah. Also the topic would turn into an ST1300 topic (making the hardcores happy).
But I'm still going to try making Utah too.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013   #58
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 107 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I found myself in a Honda dealership yesterday sitting on that new 250 dual sport. I just don't want to commit to yet another time/money consuming hobby.
Old August 2nd, 2013   #59
Iamike
Loquacious Member

This 'Jack' that I refer to is 72 and can ride my wheels off on dirt. I have another friend, who is 69, and still races offroad. He goes down to ride the Baja races.

If that keeps a person young, then I am all in.

Thanks for the ride suggestions, I hope to get a couple days to investigate that area.
Old August 23rd, 2013   #60
Iamike
Loquacious Member

Two Weeks to blast off. Starting to lay everything out in the basement to get organized.

I'm actually on an ST ride in Minnesota right now. Will post some appropriate pics in the right topic tomorrow.