ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old November 5th, 2016   #21
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 84 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Down, and out!

Not looking to hijack this thread but a quick question on the Oxford grips.
What was the thinking as to the placement of the grip and the wiring coming out of the grip?

Both sides on mine I set to look almost throttle cable like.
Nice wire route and easy to keep from flopping around with zip-tie holders on the master cylinders.

Just looking a different routing options.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1555.jpg (129.5 KB, 55 views)
Old November 5th, 2016   #22
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 103 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Obviously my first concern was to avoid any interference with the travel of the brake and clutch levers. I insisted on ZERO contact.

Next, complete and unrestricted movement on the throttle side.

I know that you already know those things Paul but it is worth mentioning.

The FJR is somewhat different from the ST so a little creativity is required on either bike. I was lucky that once my two main criteria were satisfied, it also looked good and tidy.
Old November 5th, 2016   #23
PaulRB
ST Guru

Rep Power: 84 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

The grips themselves were a straight forward install.
The time spent was on the location of the junction connector for the L/R grip and the controller.
Same issue as yours, no interference, no tugging of wires, out of the way but with some access.
That took some different location testing before a good spot was found.

I fought the idea of heated grips until I actually rode a bike, just happened to be a FJR, with heated grips.
Wouldn't leave home without them today, even with the Gerbing heated gloves.

Hijack over.

Paul
Old November 5th, 2016   #24
Guaglio

Thanks Redfish, I did take all those things into account; the main drawback for me was that with my 34 inch inseam, pulling my knees almost into my chest to put my feet on the pegs, didn't appeal to me. I will install the Kaoko throttle lock, and will install the heated grips for the sub 40 degree days here in the great white north that I can safely ride for about a month before the snow flies.
As I stated before, I think the FJR is a nice bike, but the "on the bike" thing bothered me. I might be able to get used to it, but the ST always felt right to begin with.
Eddie
Guaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016   #25
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 103 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

The ST is "Right". It is a great motorcycle, possibly one of the best motorcycles ever made. You will find a new one, you will customize it to fit you and hopefully you will share some of that adventure with us.

Good luck, any info you think we may have that you need... You know how it works.
Old November 5th, 2016   #26
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 146 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I used Symtec grip heaters on my 2 bikes and one of my ATV's.
I routed the wiring so it would pose the least interference, unlike the heavy wiring and routing with the Oxford grips.
Paul, your outwiring looks too rigid and uncompliant.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016   #27
PaulRB
ST Guru

The wiring is Oxford.
Top Shelf Quality built to last.

My original set had been on into their second winter when I had a problem with the controller box.
Contacting them I was not asking for warranty service but information about the box.
Oxford replaced the entire system with a upgraded set no question ask.
When I ask about sending in the original they said keep them the grips should still be good and will work with the new style controller box.

I will be using Oxford grips on anything I install heated grips on from now on.

Highly recommend Heated Grips and Customer Service.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; November 5th, 2016 at 06:57 PM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016   #28
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

I've never had heated grips and while the concept is not totally wrong, my hand heating problem is not with the inner part of the hand, it's the outer part. Maybe I'm abnormal but in my first 4 or 5 years of serious attempts at commuting in the spring and fall of Eastern Iowa I found that I cannot find any glove with which I could go more than 20 hiway miles in less than 45 F. Maybe because I was still new to riding and hadn't bonded with any "Vulcan 1500" forums I sought out the most convenient and portable hand heating system I could think of...the gloves. While it is a bit of a pain to plug everything in before heading out in the morning, and I do see the convenience of switching the heat on if you're suddenly caught unawares of the cold whilst wearing medium weight gloves, I can't imagine how having heat on my palms would ever beat having the heat on TOP of my fingers where the cold bites the worst. My Gerbings and the variable heat controller cost me just north of $200. With an adapter that plugs into any SAE battery tender plug I can jump on any one of my bikes and have heated hands when needed and without the misery and cost of installing heated grips on any of them. And as I mentioned, I was riding a Vulcan when I bought the gloves in late 2006, come early 2008 when I upgraded to the ST1300 I simply transferred the fused battery connectors that came with the gloves.
Old November 6th, 2016   #29
PaulRB
ST Guru

We are way off topic now.
Get this far off topic and we run the risk of a troll attack.

Since it is the season a Heated Grip/Cold Weather Gear topic would certainly be appropriate.

Questions/Comments/Recommendations on heated gear we actually have a Forum for that.
Accessories & Modifications
Grips & Heated Grips
Let's use it.

Paul

Last edited by PaulRB; November 6th, 2016 at 04:56 AM.
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016   #30
Guaglio

20161123_153537.jpg

Finally got a new ride! I'm excited to accessorize it over the winter, and take my first ride to the moonshine lunch run. Come on spring! 2016 (non ES) yamaha super tenere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161123_153537.jpg (224.2 KB, 31 views)
Guaglio is offline   Reply With Quote