ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old October 31st, 2016   #11
Guaglio

Default Re: Down, and out!

Pm sent redfish.
Guaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016   #12
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 103 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Your next bike just might be in Lubbock Texas. Look at that beautiful thing that WestTexasRanger is selling.
Old November 1st, 2016   #13
WestTexasRanger

I'm so sorry about your accident and agree that you're very fortunate not to have been more seriously injured. Like you pointed out, even if the wreck wasn't enough, you could've been run over while you were on the ground.

You're Guardian Angel was definitely working overtime!

Best wishes on a quick & complete recovery.

I've owned an ST1100 and two ST1300's (my 2012 is for sale here on the forum) and a 2013 Yamaha FJR1300. If you need any information on how the ST compares to the FJR, shoot me a PM.

- WTR
WestTexasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016   #14
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 103 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

maybe not good form on my part but this is as good a place as any...

To answer some of the OP's questions and address a comparison that has been beaten to death over and over and over...

Why the ST1300 is better:
1. Mirrors. You can see what is behind you with the ST. The FJR mirror is 40% your elbows and 60% what is behind you. The ST mirrors keep the cold wind off your paws.

2. Tip Over Wings. The ST has them. Without some aftermarket tip over protection the current Gen FJR will destroy the side fairing, the saddlebag, the mirror, the ENTIRE metal frame for the front fairing, and the clutch cover. Sometimes it does some of that even with tip over protection.

3. Saddlebags. The Honda bags just work better, they hold more, they hold longer things.

4. Fuel Capacity. 7.7 is more than 6.6

5. Honda=Quality. Nuff Said.

Why the FJR is better.
1. Lighter.
2. More power. Yeah, you say you don't need it but once you have it...
3. Cruise Control. The FJR CC is simple and wonderful.
4. Engine Modes. T and S for Touring and Sport. Yeah, I thought what you think but now I find myself switching this often.
5. Traction Control. Yes, the FJR does benefit. It is also wheelie control
6. Flatter Seat. Easier for the Custom Seat maker to build the Perfect Seat
7. Electronic Suspension.
8. Oil Change. Once you do it you will hate the Honda engineers even more.
9. Better headlights
10. Saddlebag Liners. Standard Equipment.

I could go on and on. I am not putting down on the ST. I am disgusted that Honda did not continue to refine the ST like Yamaha did the FJR. Both bikes were introduced here in 2003 and it took 10 years of refinement for Yamaha to make the FJR a better bike. Honda did nothing.
Old November 3rd, 2016   #15
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 146 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Good points.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016   #16
Guaglio

Thank you Redfish, as you really defined a lot of the differences. I'm going to try an FJR tomorrow. I'm hoping the test ride will help me decide. I loved my ST, but you eventually want something a little nicer, with a few more niceties. I've never had cruise control, but would have liked it on my trip. Heated grips....same thing. I've never had any of the options previously mentioned; but it doesn't mean I won't like them. It also doesn't mean that I'll jump on a bike that has those options. I miss having my bike, I just don't want to end up regretting getting a different bike, when the one I had was fantastic. As Redfish told me before, and I believe him; you'll be fine with either one....good luck. Thank you also West Texas Ranger, you have a beautiful bike, and if I decide to stick with the ST, I may be giving you a call.
Thanks everyone
Eddie
Old November 3rd, 2016   #17
Redfish
Donators

And for a couple of simple opinions...

You sit IN an ST1300. You sit ON an FJR. You have a lot more fairing to hide behind on the ST.

Transmission seems to shift a little slicker on the FJR. This can depend on what oil you use on the FJR.

The FJR looks better. I don't know why but I get more waves, looks, more attention in general on the FJR. I had two instances where a mini-van was doing all it could to stay next to me on a 4lane thru Baton Rouge traffic and I was getting pissed. Turns out the mom was keeping pace so her kid in the back seat could watch the bike. That stuff never happened with the Honda. People like what they like.

The FJR may not be for you. My 2015 FJR did not handle well with the OEM Bridgestones. New tires transformed the entire riding experience on my bike, others have reported the same thing.

Not saying Bridgestone makes bad tires, just saying the OEM 023s suck. Others loved those tires and went back with the same ones. People like what they like.

There is a LOT of stuff to toggle through on the menu. It takes a bit of practice but it is worth learning. The menus can be customized by going into a sub menu.

I have lots of opinions on these bikes and yours may not match mine. It is okay for YOU to be wrong though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5625.jpg (53.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1974.jpg (52.8 KB, 38 views)
Old November 5th, 2016   #18
Guaglio

Well, I rode the FJR, I love the looks of the bike, and as Redfish pointed out the saddlebags leave a lot to be desired. The seating position as pointed out is on top, not in, and for this 6'0 rider , too cramped! I loved the 6th gear, and cruise control; and I don't know if I would use the heated grips, but I believe I'll stick with my beloved ST. Redfish, your observations were spot on.
I would love it if I could afford a Triumph, or a BMW; but for the price of a car, I can do a lot of riding, and exploring of this beautiful country.

So now comes the search, and seizure mode of finding a 2012, after insurance ponies up.
Old November 5th, 2016   #19
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglio View Post
...and I don't know if I would use the heated grips, but...
In Minnesota?

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016   #20
Redfish
Donators

Guaglio, do keep in mind that there are lots of things you can do to change the ergonomics of the FJR. Bar riser blocks, the Heli-Bar Bridge or the MV Motorradd bar riser will make a huge difference.

But, if you are going back with another ST1300 may I humbly recommend the Oxford Premium heated grips? These are EASY to wire in, do EXACTLY what they say they do, and they are slightly larger and "grippier" than the factory grips.

I put these on Dad's '07 FJR and have been furious with myself for not doing it to my ST. Also note the Kaoko throttle lock in the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1947.jpg (60.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1944.jpg (58.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1945.jpg (57.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Redfish; November 5th, 2016 at 07:39 AM.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote