ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Introduce yourself here, please.

Old March 22nd, 2015   #1
Georgia dawg

Default Another ST1300 wannabe

Hello all,

I've been thinking for a while about buying a 1300 and I'm very interested in what current owners think. I've read that the engine heat is bothersome on warm days and since I live in Georgia, it gets warm here. I think I want an '08 or newer model as I understand changes and improvements were made in '08. What should I be aware of in looking at bikes?

My current steed is a Kawasaki VN 750.

So that's my intro. Not currently an owner but hope to be soon.

Thanks to all.

Last edited by Georgia dawg; March 23rd, 2015 at 04:12 PM.
Georgia dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 106 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Another ST1300 wannabe

A very biased opinion from me...

I live in South Louisiana with plenty of heat and humidity, the heat was never an issue for me. I rode mine as far West as the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, as far up as Pike's Peak, and all over the Smokies. The only time I was ever bothered by heat was in Texas late summer. 100+ temps and 80ish mph was a bit warm. YMMV.

There was not much of an update in '08. They added some side panels which helped cosmetically. The ECU supplier changed but that did not do much that you would notice.

Get the color you want, that will determine which year is best.

You are in a wonderful area for an ST1300, I have had some nice times in North GA.
Old March 22nd, 2015   #3
chaissos
Donators

Also biased, but hey, you're on an ST site, so you should expect that.

I currently live near San Antonio, and the summers here top 100 on a regular basis. I can ride year-round, with a very few excepted days in the winter when there's actually something along the lines of frost on the ground (which leads to frozen overpasses). I ride all summer long, and full geared. The guys I work with think I'm nutz, but we all know that proper gear helps not only retain moisture, but helps you out when you do sweat. Let's face it, when the temps are 95 and up, you WILL sweat. The question is, are you letting your body do anything useful with it, or are you just losing moisture. 'nuff of that...

I find that STutter can keep up with (and is quicker/faster than) most other bikes around me. I also find it can be very comfortable for the long haul, and 10+ hours in the summer isn't hard for me.

ST's have changed very little over the years. in 2003 there was an option to have an adjustable windshield, standard on an ABS version. After that, the windshield became adjustable standard, and ABS was still an option. Not sure when, but I think in 2012 the ABS became standard.

If you're looking used, look for one that's had the handlebar risers installed, and any other farkles you think might be nice, but most importantly is maintenance. These things can easily do well over 100K with nothing but regular maintenance - but it must be done.

Good luck...see you on the road....
Old March 23rd, 2015   #4
Mick
Loquacious Member

Here's a list of all the changes and recalls by model year. There were a fair number of changes that were made in 2008, the most significant of which was the design change to the secondary master cylinder (SMC):

http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin...delYearChanges

Some things to check:

1. SMC - Based on personal experience, a quick test of SMC health can be done by putting the bike up on the center stand, stand at the back of the bike, then flick the rear wheel as hard as you can. You should be able to get about 1 1/2 revolutions out of the wheel. If you get one or less, you may have a bad SMC. Other things can cause the wheel to not turn as freely but in many cases, the SMC is the culprit.

2. Recalls - Ask if the recalls were done (see the above link)?

3. Maintenance - Ask if whoever changed the rear tire lubed the final drive spines with the correct lubricant (Moly 60 paste) before reassembling. Depending on the mileage, this could be a concern. I'll leave it open to the forum as to how to handle this one. It's a tough one to deal with because you usually can't ask someone to pull their rear wheel so you can check the splines out before purchasing. If nothing else, getting a positive response will make you feel better. I bought my ST1300 with 7800 miles on it and the first thing I did on arriving home was to check the spines. They were OK and had Moly 60 on them. I've bought all my shaft drive bikes with under 10k miles and didn't inspect the splines until I arrived home. None of them showed excessive spline wear.

As to bike heat, some experience it, some don't. It may be related to whether you wear riding boots and MC pants as to whether the heat will bother you. Like Redfish, I live along the coast and the heat isn't really noticeable until the heat approaches or goes over the 100 degree mark. Even then, it's not that big a deal, but I wear MC boots & MC pants and I only ride on the highways except for getting out of town and back in, so no stop and go city traffic unless I get unlucky.
My Facebook Page

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015   #5
echo
The sky is falling...

As far as the ST1300 goes: if it starts,runs, and operates without putting your ears out of joint or displaying any obvious signs of malady (and the price is right)

BUY IT!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015   #6
Wjbertrand
ST guru

The problems with the rear wheel splines seem to be an ST1100 thing. Has anyone seen a similar wear / failure problem with the 1300? I've yet to hear of it. Never the less good advice to re-lube every time you have it apart.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015   #7
Georgia dawg

Thanks very much for the info. Should I try to hold out for an '08 or newer? The newer ones, unfortunately, start to get out of my price range but I have seen a few deals. There's one on Craigjslist that is a 2010 with less than 900 miles. Makes you wonder why he rode so little. Also, I'm not a big guy, 5'8" and 165 pounds. Any thoughts on how it will "fit"?

Thanks again, this info is invaluable.
Georgia dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015   #8
Wjbertrand
ST guru

There's no real differences between years except after the 2003 model year Honda made the adjustable shield standard on all ST1300s. For 2003, they were only fitted to the ABS version. Only one color offered per year so just pick your favorite color!
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015   #9
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia dawg View Post
Thanks very much for the info. Should I try to hold out for an '08 or newer? The newer ones, unfortunately, start to get out of my price range but I have seen a few deals. There's one on Craigjslist that is a 2010 with less than 900 miles. Makes you wonder why he rode so little. Also, I'm not a big guy, 5'8" and 165 pounds. Any thoughts on how it will "fit"?

Thanks again, this info is invaluable.
I don't think the changes that occurred to the 2008+ are significant enough to stay away from a good deal on a 2003 - 2007. No matter the year, if you like the bike, it has been well maintained, and it's a good $ deal, go for it.

Even if you happen to find yourself with a bad SMC, it's a relatively easy & inexpensive fix if you do it yourself.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am your exact height and am about 10 to 15 lbs. heavier than you. The ST1300 fits me quite well.
My Facebook Page

Last edited by Mick; March 24th, 2015 at 05:55 PM.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015   #10
sculver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia dawg View Post
Hello all,

I've been thinking for a while about buying a 1300 and I'm very interested in what current owners think. I've read that the engine heat is bothersome on warm days and since I live in Georgia, it gets warm here. I think I want an '08 or newer model as I understand changes and improvements were made in '08. What should I be aware of in looking at bikes?

My current steed is a Kawasaki VN 750.

So that's my intro. Not currently an owner but hope to be soon.

Thanks to all.
Welcome Georgia dawg. I was in the same predicament as you last January when I found a great deal on a 2004 ST1300. Thanks to these fine folks at ST1300.us.com I was given some great advice to use in my decision. Of course I bought the bike! I'm a previous owner of three Honda V-4 motorcycles and fell in love with this engine design in the early 80's when I bought my first new motorcycle, a Honda V45 Magna (750cc). Then there was the V65 Sabre (1100cc), and the V45 Sabre (750cc). Somewhere in there I owned a Suzuki V-4 and wasn't as impressed all that much. I currently also own a 2003 Kawasaki 1500 Classic.

The ST1300 is by far the nicest, highest quality, and most versatile bike I've owned. I used to have a 2000 Kawasaki Concours, which I've read was supposed to be a competing model to the Honda ST1100. The Concours was nice and it was a blast to ride but lacked the civility and smoothness of the Honda.

I'm a little over 6'2" and am around 225lbs. My ST1300 has the HelliBars risers and a Russel Day Long Saddle. The ST1300 has an adjustable seat so I'm pretty sure you can find a comfortable riding position. Since I just got my bike in January and the weather here in Omaha only recently stared warming up where I can ride, I can say I really enjoy riding this bike. The performance of the engine is without question one of the smoothest and most balanced among anything I've ever ridden. The power is very linear. It's just there on demand at most any gear. This engine seems to have a lot of torque so the roll on power is significant. The aluminum frame is solid, stable, and allows for a comfortable ride in most any riding type. The previous owner put a car tire on the rear, known as going to the darkside, so I haven't yet ridden the ST1300 with a motorcycle specific rear tire. With my past riding experience I can say the only difference so far is it takes a little more effort to initiate a lean but that's it. I don't even notice it now after having ridden it a little over 600 miles since it warmed up.

The one thing I really like about the ST1300 is the maintenance is pretty easy. Changing the oil, oil filter, drive shaft gear oil, spark plugs, and the air filter (a minor pain but not difficult at all) are very easy to get to and to complete.

As I type this I'm thinking about what I don't like about the ST1300 or what I wish was better. I really can't think of anything at this point in my ownership and I'm very glad I bought it. I think if you take the advice of the folks here and do some research of your own across the internet you will find this is a very reliable motorcycle that allows one to ride sedately down the interstate, commute, or go drag your knee on the weekend if that's what you like to do.

Overall, I'd buy my ST1300 all over again if I had to and wouldn't look back for one second. It's a solid bike!

Let all of us know what you decide. Good luck!

Best regards,

Steve

Last edited by sculver; March 24th, 2015 at 05:47 PM.
sculver is offline   Reply With Quote