ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Other

Other The catch-all location for all the other "farkles" that you've added.

Old August 23rd, 2017   #1
starcitymark

Default Speedometer recalibration devices

I found an alternative device to adjust speedometer deviation. Has anyone used this product? Any thoughts? http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.p...&product_id=59
starcitymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017   #2
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: Speedometer recalibration devices

Looks good, but for $80 (plus shipping?), I'll just stay slightly off.
Old August 23rd, 2017   #3
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

For $80 I can have two Sigma Sport MC10's which are spot-on accurate speed and mileage Plus:
Motorcycle functions
Current speed up to 399 km/h (249 mph)
Average speed
Maximum speed
Trip distance
Total distance

Time functions
Ride time
Total ride time
Clock

General functions
Selectable 12h/24h modes
Selectable kmh/mph modes
Full text display in 7 languages (D, GB, FR, IT, ES, NL, PL)
Auto start/stop
Water resistant

https://www.sigmasportstore.com/product-p/01013.htm

I have had two older Sigma's on the ST and both Wings for years.

Paul
Old September 2nd, 2017   #4
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Looks good, but for $80 (plus shipping?), I'll just stay slightly off.

I would spend the money on something more significant like beer. Besides racing motorcycles don't even have speedometers in there right on the cutting-edge of motorcycle experience.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017   #5
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post

I would spend the money on something more significant like beer. Besides racing motorcycles don't even have speedometers in there right on the cutting-edge of motorcycle experience.

Ever seen the "dash" of a race bike?
The on-board dash system records a wide array of functions all downloadable to a laptop used the the engineers for virtually every function on the bike.
MotoGP and WSBK has set limits on the number of sensors the engineers can use to record functions.
These functions can be read in "real time" by engineers that are not at the track or even in the country the race is being held at.

And yes they record speed.

Paul
Old September 2nd, 2017   #6
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

For safety reasons, I don't even use the stock speedo, not since I started using a GPS on a dash shelf.

The GPS is up high in my field of vision enabling me to not have to look way down where the stock speedo is located. And, the GPS is much more accurate. You can also configure the GPS to change the speed number to red if it is over the posted speed limit in it's database.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017   #7
chaissos
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
For safety reasons, I don't even use the stock speedo, not since I started using a GPS on a dash shelf.

The GPS is up high in my field of vision enabling me to not have to look way down where the stock speedo is located. And, the GPS is much more accurate. You can also configure the GPS to change the speed number to red if it is over the posted speed limit in it's database.
Now this I have done. Mostly just to compare to the on-board speedo.

But for your average rider, who's not trying to pick up performance awards, and is just cruising, the 5 or so MPH the gauge is off really doesn't make much difference. I don't ride on the edge, and my speedo reads fast, not slow, so if I'm reasonable with it, I'm not in danger of winning any of those said awards. I'm typically not in much of a hurry, and even if I am, I'm most likely in the truck - who's speedo is correct.

For the most part, I've taken to sitting in the right lane and cruising. As long as traffic is moving, I'm good. I also tend to sit closer to the lane dividing lines to consume as much space as a car (and avoid that middle section where the cars all drop their oil). I'd rather be 10 minutes early, and sit around for a while, than 5 minutes late, and have to answer to the boss every day. But that's just me.
Old September 2nd, 2017   #8
JZH

The comparable alternative, the HealTech SpeedoHealer, is about $110, so this could be an alternative for some. Some people do want to make the OEM speedometer an accurate gauge of speed (imagine that!), which a calibration gadget does a lot better than an add-on speedometer. I have no experience with this product, but if I wanted something to correct the reading on my OEM speedometer I'd probably consider it.

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017   #9
PaulRB
The Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZH View Post
Some people do want to make the OEM speedometer an accurate gauge of speed (imagine that!), which a calibration gadget does a lot better than an add-on speedometer.
Ciao,
The Sigma is not "an add-on speedometer" but is in fact a extreemly accurate computer that is set by directly measuring the roll-out of the tire.
If you demand complete and total accuracy at all times the roll-out measurement can be adjusted as the tire wears.

Just for grins I've actually ran the one on the YellowWing and the pair on the ST run through the "test" the city gets from the manufacture for their hand held speed radar guns, the ones used to the police motors to write you the "performance awards".
Even the testers were impressed with their accuracy.

Paul
Old September 7th, 2017   #10
JZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
The Sigma is not "an add-on speedometer" but is in fact a extreemly accurate computer that is set by directly measuring the roll-out of the tire.
If you demand complete and total accuracy at all times the roll-out measurement can be adjusted as the tire wears.
Yes, I know what a bicycle computer is. I have a couple of them in a box somewhere. I see Sigma now have one specifically made/marketed for motorcycles. Did they ever figure out that people sometimes ride motorcycles at night? The inability to see the readout in the dark (without having to press a button) was the main reason why I never bothered installing one.

Ciao,

RS250; CBR400RRN; VFR400RL; VFR400RN; RVF400RT; VFR750FL; VFR750FP; VFR800FiY; VFR800Fi1; ST1300A4...

"After all, what is a motorcycle for if it isn't action?"
JZH is offline   Reply With Quote