ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic If it is not ST1300 related, put it here.

Old November 11th, 2016   #11
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New life in old laptop

OK, here goes.

I just noticed DriverUpdate and Malwarebytes on my new laptop.
I don't remember installing them but GeekSquad may have.
Should I uninstall either one of them?

I see conflicting info on the web, about DriverUpdate.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016   #12
chaissos
Donators

DriverUpdate is garbage. I remove it every time I see it. I know other admins who remove it all the time, too. I've not heard nor seen anything positive about it.

Can't say anything about malwarebytes. I believe it's supposed to be an anti-virus solution. I don't use that one - I use Avast for business. Really easy to manage from the web interface, once you figure it out. I currently have 8 systems on the account.
Old November 14th, 2016   #13
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 152 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I will remove DriverUpdates.
I have Kaspersky Internet Security on all of mine.
I may also delete malwarebytes.

Thanks for the help.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
OTRA

Default Avast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
- I use Avast for business. Really easy to manage from the web interface, once you figure it out. I currently have 8 systems on the account.
After reading your post a while back, I loaded (free) Avast on my desk + laptop and it seems to work well. Thx.

Also loaded on my mobile Android and I recently started to get warnings that it was a major drain on the battery (35%) which had me going around with a spare battery pack. Battery life returned to normal after disabling Avast.

Have not loaded a new App in a long time so I don't know what could get Avast so excited all of a sudden. Avast itself is not warning about any suspicious activity.

I see others posting about same issue with sudden battery drain from Avast, so am wondering if it is an issue you may have heard of or have a hint on how to go about? Running without AV right now!
OTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
chaissos
Donators

Android phones have some serious flaws in the OS, and apps can cross application barriers very easily. Whether or not you load a new app, the AVs job is to monitor what's going on, and handle any security problems it might see. Your phone is doing things all the time you don't know about. Just like your PC, but it runs on a battery, so you see the effect in power draw. You don't see that on a PC.

Having said that, it's most likely not Avast. one of your other apps is doing something, and Avast is monitoring and scanning what it's doing. If you check your background apps, one of them is kicking Avast into overdrive. In normal use, on a clean phone, Avast won't even hit the 2% mark.

IOS does a very good job of sandboxing, and those phones don't really need much AV protection. Plus, the apps you can get for IOS are also thoroughly checked before being put into the apple store, and you can be relatively sure they're safe. No so with Android and Google play, not to mention the plethora of other sites that you can get apps from for Android.

Oh, and for my business account, I now have 10 hosts, 5 servers, and 2 VM hosts running. Depending on the platform, the settings are different.
Old 1 Week Ago   #16
OTRA

Quote:

.... If you check your background apps, one of them is kicking Avast into overdrive.
That's what I've been trying to do. No luck yet. Also uninstalling what I do not really need and disabling notifications also. Amazing the numbers of apps that still have activities although they have not been opened!

Was wondering if maybe in your Avast spheres you might have heard/read of one particular app that could to be creating this mayhem for some Android users.

Quote:

In normal use, on a clean phone, Avast won't even hit the 2% mark.
May have to go back to just that: Reset for a "clean" phone.

Thanks.
Old 1 Week Ago   #17
chaissos
Donators

Have a read:
https://press.avast.com/avast-reveal...-android-phone

Most are older apps that need to be updated. What I don't see listed is snapchat. that's a heavy user.

The main problem is the file system scanner. Avast scans every read/write to the file system (as it's designed to do on both mobile and PC devices). The problem is that some apps will continue to read/write, even when you aren't using them, and even if you just have them loaded. It's an inherent problem with Android, and, apart from removing them, there's little you can do.

There are a few that are just out-dated, they need updating. They need to be at the most current revision, and some of those will be better.

From my research (don't forget, I'm not plugged into Android, I'm an IOS user), old Google Docs, etc, will cause problems. Update them all. Failing that, remove, and then re-install the new versions.

You can also get AVG Cleaner for Android - Avast owns AVG - and it can show you which apps are pulling all those files, and causing your AV to spike.
Old 1 Week Ago   #18
OTRA

Quote:
Have a read:
https://press.avast.com/avast-reveal...-android-phone

Most are older apps that need to be updated. What I don't see listed is snapchat. that's a heavy user.
Great, very useful, thanks. Only app I have on the list is Maps (No SnapChat) . It has started to crash often lately. It is latest rev, but I may try to uninstall/reinstall as you suggested.

Quote:

The problem is that some apps will continue to read/write, even when you aren't using them, and even if you just have them loaded. It's an inherent problem with Android, and, apart from removing them, there's little you can do.
I noticed that in Apps Mgr: Large number of active apps although I have not opened them. I am uninstalling as many of them as I can.

Quote:

You can also get AVG Cleaner for Android - Avast owns AVG - and it can show you which apps are pulling all those files, and causing your AV to spike.
Thanks a lot for this one. I see they also refer to it as a "Battery Saver", so that could just be the ticket.

Quote:

Most are older apps that need to be updated.
Also older phone...and Verizon is no longer updating the OS!
Old 1 Week Ago   #19
OTRA

Quote:
"AVG Cleaner" is the ticket!

It goes and shuts down offending processes by itself. I had closed down about 20 I had found myself but Cleaner got after another 30.

Phone has now been on battery for 23 hrs with only 50% battery drain, where before it would go down to 15% in 18 hrs max.

Thanks for the help!
Old 1 Week Ago   #20
chaissos
Donators

Happy to help, glad I was of some service.

Enjoy your extended battery life.