ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Long Distance Riding

Long Distance Riding Iron Butt or Endurance rides.

Old October 21st, 2011   #21
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: Here are some of my tips and tricks for LD Riding I've used over the years

You can't beat the Wing for comfort, although the new BMW K1600 GTL might.

I liked the Concours 14 but, it is a more sporty bike, it has less stock fuel capacity, and you're going to be leaning forward more. I would suggest test riding each and find the one that fits you best, keeping in mind that there are after market add-ons that can help you adjust the ergonomics.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011   #22
echo
The sky is falling...

Default Re: Here are some of my tips and tricks for LD Riding I've used over the years

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post

There is no such thing as "waterPROOF" gloves. Anyone that says there is is either lying through their teeth or haven't ridden very long through a REAL rain storm (I'm talking hours and hundreds of miles). Lots of water-resistant gloves, though.

Wala waterproof rubber gloves. They fit over my leather ones. Got em New Enough. Less than $20 as i recall.
Attached Images

echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011   #23
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I've only tried over gloves once, and they kept sliding off.
They were more trouble than they were worth and not very good for feeling the controls.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011   #24
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
I've only tried over gloves once, and they kept sliding off.
They were more trouble than they were worth and not very good for feeling the controls.
Hmm Ive had problems which sound just like that with another device of similiar material.

Youre wearing these gloves on your hands, right?
Old October 23rd, 2011   #25
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Hmm Ive had problems which sound just like that with another device of similiar material.

Youre wearing these gloves on your hands, right?

I'm wearing these gloves on my hands, both right and left.
I was referring to the old Dry Rider glove covers, the only covers that I ever tried and didn't want to go back for slippery seconds.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old October 23rd, 2011   #26
echo
The sky is falling...

These are like industrial strenth rubber kitchen gloves. They are dorky and a little awkward to put on but do keep your hands dry.
Old October 27th, 2011   #27
Leroys73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillond123 View Post
Deano and Andy,
Thanks for the advice. I think I will get a mod to raise the handlebar and look into a mod for the seat as well.
Dorian

I used Mean City Cycles for my seat mod. Not as expensive as some of the others. I am satisfied but my next one I'll probably go with Russel or on of the Mayers if I have the $$$.
Leroys73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011   #28
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Nope, won't work. I've tried things like this and the problem is that there is no way to keep water from trickling down your arms and under the gauntlets. The ones you're showing don't appear to even have a way to close the arm opening of the gauntlet.

Besides, rubber gloves will make your hands sweat and that's just as bad as rain.

The closest solution I've found is the Gortex 3-fingered Overglove from Riderwearhouse because it has a drawstring to close the gauntlet opening.

However, sometimes that still isn't enough - depending upon the downpour.

What usually happens with me is that everything will be going fine until I have to stop for gas and take the gloves off. If you're not really, really careful sealing everything back up again, you'll get rain under the gauntlets and once that happens, goodbye dry hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Wala waterproof rubber gloves. They fit over my leather ones. Got em New Enough. Less than $20 as i recall.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011   #29
ligito
Donators

I also used to carry wetsuit gloves.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
Old October 30th, 2011   #30
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

I wear (expensive) armoured Alpine Stars summer gloves most of the year. The Honda heated grips work really well through them. My textile jacket sleeves fit over them so I don't get the run off of water from the sleeves. However the gloves themselves are not waterproof so heavy rain does get into them. But the heated grips prevent any cold fingers and as soon as the rain stops, the gloves dry out quickly. If the rain does not stop then, as the gloves have no lining material, they are still quite straight forward to pull off and put back on again. The McDonalds wall air driers are also excellent at drying them!
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote