ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Long Distance Riding

Long Distance Riding Iron Butt or Endurance rides.

Old January 5th, 2009   #11
dillond123

Default Re: Here are some of my tips and tricks for LD Riding I've used over the years

Deano and Andy,
Thanks for the advice. I think I will get a mod to raise the handlebar and look into a mod for the seat as well.
Dorian
dillond123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009   #12
Birdman

Default Re: Here are some of my tips and tricks for LD Riding I've used over the years

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post

There is no such thing as "waterPROOF" gloves. Anyone that says there is is either lying through their teeth or haven't ridden very long through a REAL rain storm (I'm talking hours and hundreds of miles). Lots of water-resistant gloves, though.
Ever tried this?

http://www.seattlemarine.net/product...idproduct=1788

They fit over your gloves and I assure you, they are waterproof.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009   #13
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Ever tried this?

I thought Z was referring to motorcycle gloves, not gloves for a proctologist.
Old January 5th, 2009   #14
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I thought Z was referring to motorcycle gloves, not gloves for a proctologist.
Wow, you must have some hole if crabbing gloves fit up there...LOL

They come in white and yellow as well. I figure more visibility is better. Plus I can wear real protective gloves underneath!!
Old January 6th, 2009   #15
Andy Kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWingit View Post
I have lots of respect for those of you who like to do the LD riding, but it's not for me at 74. (actually it never was).

Here is my idea of a perfect multi day ride. Up around 6:30, do the continental breakfast at the motel and on the bike at 7:00. Ride for an hour or two and stop for coffee and a sweet roll. A perfect day around 65.
300 or more miles of twisty two lane road with almost no traffic. No freeway, no close calls, no cops and no deer. Find a nice motel walking distance to a good bar/eats around 5:00. A few beers and a nice dinner. Repeat as required!

Ed
When not in 'Rally Mode' that's my idea of a perfect day and pretty much the pace that Mrs. Andy and I travel at.

Regards

Andy
Andy Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009   #16
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Yep, tried something similar but, I prefer the Rider Wearhouse 3 fingered Gortex over gloves these "rubbers".

They're just as waterproof but, lots easier to get on. A little more pricey, however.

But even with these two solutions, there is still the problem of water running underneath your gauntlets or, getting inside when you stop for gas and take those gloves off.

I've tried all kinds of solutions in the rainy Northwest and Canada. The only thing that seems to work without fail is to have your water-resistant/proof gloves inside your jacket's sleeves and then a waterproof over glove over the jackets sleeves and cinched down.

Then, be very careful at gas stops when taking them off and putting them all back on again.

It's a pain but, if you're going to be in a heavy rain for longer than an hour or two, it pays off in the end.

Quote:
Ever tried this?

STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009   #17
Birdman

I hear you on that, stops are usually the weak point for water entry.

My real issue is keeping water from entering at the neck point. Not so much for keeping it off of my body but once water gains entry I have issues with fogging and condensation on the inside of the screen.

I think a small curtain at the bottom of the helmet would help a lot, but who knows??
Old January 6th, 2009   #18
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

As a matter of fact, Bombardier made a flip-up snow mobile helmet that was DOT approved and I tried it a few years ago. It was very noisey and I eventually went away from it when the Schuberth Concept came out but, it had a neat little "curtain" at the bottom of the chin area that worked very well to keep the wind and rain from getting into the neck area.

It had loops on it that slid over the chin strap and then it tucked up inside the helmet and down under your riding coat. Or, you could leave it loose outside your riding coat which is what I did. Basically, you just left it on one side of the chin strap.

I've thought many times of making something like that for my current helmets but, I haven't bothered as I don't really have an issue with wind and rain getting into my neck area with the last two jackets I've had.

But, I agree it can be a problem.

I wish I still had that little doodad so that I could take a picture and show you. I'll try looking around the garage for it but, I think it got thrown out a few years ago during a move.

Quote:
I hear you on that, stops are usually the weak point for water entry.

My real issue is keeping water from entering at the neck point. Not so much for keeping it off of my body but once water gains entry I have issues with fogging and condensation on the inside of the screen.

I think a small curtain at the bottom of the helmet would help a lot, but who knows??
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009   #19
Birdman

Yeah, the Schuberth C2 is my touring helmet of choice (that curtain rocks) and I am all good until it gets warm inside and then condensation starts. Of course then I have to vent and the cycle of destruction starts. LOL

If I don't wrap my neck it is better, of course then I risk rain down my back, which is worse.
Old October 20th, 2011   #20
ed lipkin

Just finished Maine to California on a new Harley CVO Road Glide. Amazing!!!! Looking at a ST for third bike. First non Harley in 50 years. Should I consider the Concours 14 seems too sporty or any other bike, like the Wing but too big, comfort first order of business with me?
ed lipkin is offline   Reply With Quote