ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Long Distance Riding

Long Distance Riding Iron Butt or Endurance rides.

Old November 23rd, 2013   #51
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: What Are The IronButt Rules for 1000 Miles in 24 Hours?

Use a different windshield that eliminates the back pressure by equalizing the pressure on both sides.

Two come to mind:
  • Clearview with Cateye cutouts
  • Aeroflow
Regards,

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Pressure on my hands has never been a problem as I trained myself early on with my first ST1100 and multiple sport bikes to use my back muscles to support myself.

I've heard folks with neck problems talk about raising the windshield up but it has the opposite effect on me. Because of the low pressure that causes you to be pulled forward when the windshield is raised, I find it uncomfortable on my neck. As long as I'm not in serious cross winds, I find having the windshield all the way down to be better on my neck.

I've found that going slower helps a lot because it cuts down on the turbulence that has a tendency to wag your neck back and forth. It means that I'll do better on secondary roads with lower speed limits as opposed to high speed interstates (we have 75 to 80 mph speed limits on our interstates). More fun on the secondaries but if I'm wanting to go across the continent, it'll take me much longer.

My days of multiple 700 to 900 mile days are over. If I ever had a desire to do a SS1000, they are over now.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013   #52
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
Use a different windshield that eliminates the back pressure by equalizing the pressure on both sides.

Two come to mind:
  • Clearview with Cateye cutouts
  • Aeroflow
Thanks Joe. I know from trying to find the "perfect" windshield for my Bandit that it can be quite a challenge to get the right one. What works for one person won't work well or at all for another. Height seems to be a big factor.

Does anyone here who is 5' 8" or 9" have one of these screens?... and if so how would you compare the buffeting & low pressure behind it to the stock shield?

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013   #53
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I'm 5' 9.5".

Plus, the windshields are adjustable. ;-)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old November 24th, 2013   #54
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
I'm 5' 9.5".

Plus, the windshields are adjustable. ;-)
Exactly which of the two windshields do you have?

Old November 24th, 2013   #55
maura
Super Moderator

You are absolutley right, Mick. It is a great challenge to selecting the perfect windscreen!

The bike is one factor, the fact that the ST1300 after the initial year has an adjustable windscreen helps a great deal. I do not move mine a lot, but I can so easily get to the sweet spot. The good news for a bike with a fixed windscreen (I believe the bandit is fixed) is that once you get it right, the fixed may be just fine.

Second factor , your riding. Are you a canyon carver or an interstate mile muncher? The bikes are capable in both scenarios, but a windscreen perfect for one may not work for the other.

Third factor- your body. Your size and how it is distributed. Your posture on the bike. I am not typical of riders, because I am short and have a considerably shorter upper body than most male riders, and probably narrower shoulders. How your weight and that of a passenger is distributed in space greatly affects the airflow over the bike.

Unfortunately, with so many factors, and important ones being individual to each rider, trail and error is necessary. There is no definitive answer to the 'best' windscreen for any bike .

My resume for the ST1300:
stock
aeroflow
cal sci
v-stream

I have settled on the v-stream as the one that works the best for me, though I often think of taking the saw to it and cutting in down a couple of inches.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013   #56
Mick
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
You are absolutley right, Mick. It is a great challenge to selecting the perfect windscreen! .< SNIP >. I have settled on the v-stream as the one that works the best for me, though I often think of taking the saw to it and cutting in down a couple of inches.

The V-Stream is a good shield. It's what I have on my Bandit. It's not perfect by a long shot but I've gotten use to it. It could stand to be about an inch shorter to cut out some of the weird, fluttering turbulence I get sometimes (most pronounced at low speeds). If I lift myself up about an inch or so, the noise goes away. I actually preferred the stock screen but when I put 2" Rox risers on the Bandito, my body suddenly became a sail! Had to get another screen to counter that.

Old November 24th, 2013   #57
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

I have the Aeroflow myself but, I've tested the Clearview and liked it too.

I had a Clearview on my ST1100 also.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old November 25th, 2013   #58
Garry in AZ

Echo,
Doing a Saddlesore 1000 does not require extensive planning, nor is there any need for carrying fuel or excessive speeding.
Pick a route thats a little over 1000 miles, but less than 1100. This will ensure your route is actually at least 1000 miles. For your first one, make it easier on yourself by doing it on highways that have fuel at least every 100 miles or so.
You can either ride a loop, or an "out and back" route, but in either case, make sure you get a receipt to "mark your corners". This simply means that when someone looks at your route on a map, you have receipts from the locations where you head in a new direction. Doing this proves to the verification team that you were actually in those places, and you didn't cut across somewhere and shortcut the distance.
If you choose interstate highway, the fuel will be readily available, the speed limits are high, and the ride will take between 16 and 20 hours.
There is plenty of time to do the miles without excessive speed if you just keep the wheels turning, and don't make long stops. Also, the IBA has been tolerant on my rides where I averaged about 10 mph over the posted limit. They understand about the safety factor of riding with the flow of traffic, etc.
The instances where folks have been denied certificates because of speeding are cases where it was blatantly obvious that the rider was far over the limits, for extended periods. For example, if you made it between two fuel stops that were 100 miles apart in 50 minutes.
As an example, I've done multiple Saddlesore on a Harley with a fuel range of 140 miles, on roads posted 60 mph, and never had a problem. These rides took about 17 hours. On the other hand, riding on interstates on my ST with 11 gallons of fuel aboard a Saddlesore takes just over 14 hours.

Once you do one, the next one comes easier.

Garry
Gilbert, AZ

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013   #59
echo
The sky is falling...

Thats what I figured. I dont see how they could be concerned at an average speed 10 mph over the limit. An average speed of 100 mph....yeah I can see that.

Hey the rules are the rules. If I can find an easier way of doing it Im all in!

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote