ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Long Distance Riding

Long Distance Riding Iron Butt or Endurance rides.

Old May 29th, 2013   #11
Andy Kirby

Default Re: 1000 miler

It's actually an excellent article and Tom knows his stuff.

Also, don't forget the 'ice in the pockets' trick. I managed to get more than a little overheated in the IB5K and had to resort to shoving ice into all the 'stich pockets as well as a bag across my lap. I'd managed to get to the first stage of heat exhaustion and it was only by going this route after a long rest up in an air conditioned rest stop that I was able to continue.

Andy
Andy Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013   #12
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

During the IB5K, I used my LDComfort shirt instead of just the sleeves. Wet it down and it's good for about 300 miles. Used the Wet Ty that we got at Eddie's Pin Striping bonus in Phoenix too. That helped a little but, not as much.

Stopped at a DQ for an ice cream cone too but, you can't ride and eat one of those in 110 degree TexASS heat. LOL

That was frog frying heat, there. Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Kirby View Post
It's actually an excellent article and Tom knows his stuff.

Also, don't forget the 'ice in the pockets' trick. I managed to get more than a little overheated in the IB5K and had to resort to shoving ice into all the 'stich pockets as well as a bag across my lap. I'd managed to get to the first stage of heat exhaustion and it was only by going this route after a long rest up in an air conditioned rest stop that I was able to continue.

Andy
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013   #13
playinatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
I wear a mesh jacket with a long sleeve microfiber shirt under it.
Is that bad in the heat?
I am not an expert by any means but this seems to me to be the worst thing you can do. A wicking shirt and mesh to let the wind dry it quickly will suck the moisture out of your body quicker than anything I would think. I am picturing jerky here.
I like to wear the microfiber shirts against my skin when I ride too so I would like to hear what the experts think.
Old May 30th, 2013   #14
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Against all advice, expert recommendation, and the laws of nature I ride about 10 months of the year in the Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar, both jacket and pants. I ride through heat & and both high and single digit humidity. I have on-board hydration and know how to use it.
It works for me. I've never had a problem and in the end that is all that counts.

Paul
Old May 30th, 2013   #15
maura
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
Against all advice, expert recommendation, and the laws of nature I ride about 10 months of the year in the Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar, both jacket and pants. I ride through heat & and both high and single digit humidity. I have on-board hydration and know how to use it.
It works for me. I've never had a problem and in the end that is all that counts.

Paul
I believe the Motoport Ultra II Air Kevlar bears little resemblance to the mesh in other mesh gear. I have the pants, and found they were fantastic all-year pants, even in cold Canada, with the Motoport rain liner and a pair of merino wool tights under them. The impervious nature of many pants out there make them unbearable in the high heat zones, so I went with the Motoport, and will do so again. I had a slight problem with a seam fraying and they repaired it, paid the shipping both ways , apologized profusely.

On my recent Iceland adventure, I wore the motoport rain liner under my Darien pants, and stayed dry, except for wicking up the bottom of the pants. My only regret is that I paid north of $600 for these awesome Ultra II Air Kevlar custom-made pants and now they no longer fit me. DAMMIT.

2008 Honda ST1300
2012 Honda ST1300 BambiBroke
2006 Honda ST1300 sold
maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013   #16
the PHOENIX

Not to say the preparation and proper gear is not important - the "weather" is my biggest concern, more specifically the thunderous type - second are delays on the slab due to construction, you can always count on running into those.
I will let you all know if I attempt and how it faired.

Kind regards from Madison, Indiana
the PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013   #17
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

One place I'm sure my Motoport mesh is different is in the armor.
I ordered the full Knights of the Realm kit. Kitted for battle with the road extreme the Motoport's armor deflects the usual road debris up to and including bunny sized projectiles, ice, snow, hail up to golf ball specification, and wind. It may be mesh but the air has little room to flow through. It was as stiff as cured concrete for the first year and when I ask how one went about softening it up I was told put it in a drier with a old pair of tennis shoes which the jacket promptly ate. I do not think a bowling ball fired from the dark side of the moon would soften up mesh weave although it might improve airflow if fired enough times.
Unfortunately I was medicaled off the bike for some time and the damn stuff expanded while hanging in the closet, it usually goes the other way around for me. They tell me they can alter the size or build me a second set with the extra they remove.

I have never owned better rain gear than the liners I ordered up with the Motoport jacket and paints. The ability to breathe well but still repel water unparallelled.

Paul
Old May 30th, 2013   #18
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

This is quite accurate and I believe it is included in Tom's article.

I proved it to myself with some long rides in the Nevada deserts in 110 degree heat. It works well for dry heat but, probably not so well in high humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playinatwork View Post
I am not an expert by any means but this seems to me to be the worst thing you can do. A wicking shirt and mesh to let the wind dry it quickly will suck the moisture out of your body quicker than anything I would think. I am picturing jerky here.
I like to wear the microfiber shirts against my skin when I ride too so I would like to hear what the experts think.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013   #19
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
I believe the Motoport Ultra II Air Kevlar bears little resemblance to the mesh in other mesh gear. I have the pants, and found they were fantastic all-year pants, even in cold Canada, with the Motoport rain liner and a pair of merino wool tights under them. The impervious nature of many pants out there make them unbearable in the high heat zones, so I went with the Motoport, and will do so again. I had a slight problem with a seam fraying and they repaired it, paid the shipping both ways , apologized profusely.

On my recent Iceland adventure, I wore the motoport rain liner under my Darien pants, and stayed dry, except for wicking up the bottom of the pants. My only regret is that I paid north of $600 for these awesome Ultra II Air Kevlar custom-made pants and now they no longer fit me. DAMMIT.
Pants just keep shrinking?

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013   #20
dduelin
Loquacious Member

I do wish the research would include wearing technical apparel (Under Armour Heatgear) under mesh in higher temps and high humidity instead of using a comparision of exposed bare skin. I have a 1 piece Roadcrafter and several Tourmaster or Cortech mesh jacket and pant combos and I much prefer wearing wicking clothing under mesh when the temp gets in the high 80's. Long sleeve pants and shirts under the mesh shell keep the wind from directly moving across bare skin as in the examples. I certainly don't dehydrate and I drink about a liter of water an hour in these conditions. My caveat is that I have not ridden in high heat and low humidity in the western states. In the south, midwest, and mid Atlantic states in summer the humidity is so high that evaporative cooling under solid textile is not very effective at least on a faired bike like the ST yet I can carry a squirt bottle of water and wet a neck gaiter and the front of my shirt and pants about every 20 or 30 minutes and ride comfortably in mid 90s with 90% humidity. I tried one of those cooling vests that hold and retain water for evaporative cooling and found it stifling and clammy in humid conditions. I haven't used it in 5 or 6 years.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote