ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Long Distance Riding

Long Distance Riding Iron Butt or Endurance rides.

Old May 31st, 2012   #21
echo
The sky is falling...

Default Re: Thinking about IBA Cert.

What about riding 1000 miles in 24 hours all by yourself? No receipts. No witnesses.

No rules.

Does that count?

I dont have a problem with riding the 1000 miles. Just all the requirements to "prove" it.

Although its better just to ride as much as feels good and let it go at that.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!

Last edited by echo; May 31st, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012   #22
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Oh yeah. Some people absolutely think that it is impossible and that I am lying (usually Hardley riders). Not so much anymore now that the IBA is better known in the MC community. But, there are still some folks out there who haven't heard of it.

But, another aspect that is cool is running into other IBA riders that see your license plate base and we instantly have a bond and strike up a conversation.

Can't tell you how many of those I've run into across the country.

Then there are the riders who know about the IBA and IBR that see the cover and come over to talk. It cracks me up when a rider will say, "I road THE Iron Butt" when he really means he rode a Saddle Sore 1000... not the Iron Butt Rally.

Think about this, if practice makes perfect, just think how much practice one gets working up to riding a 1000 mile day (safely) and continuing to do that for 10 or 15 years. I also took riding classes and went to Reg Pridmore's 2 day Executive CLASS at Laguna Seca. Then practiced those skills every day, building them up. I've also read a lot about other's riding techniques and tried them out too.

I credit this sport to vastly improving my riding skills plus my knowledge of how to setup and work on a bike in an accelerated amount of time; plus, my knowledge of riding gear. I've test ridden tons of various gear looking for that perfect combination for long distance all-weather riding.

It's not something that one should just go out and try without preparing. It's like a marathon run - you train gradually and build up your stamina and experience. It took me 4 years of doing that almost every day before I felt that my bike and myself were ready for the IBR. I went into knowing that I wanted to ride in the IBR one day and planned accordingly. I kept riding until 1000 miles/day didn't seem that hard to me. It was fun and I got to see most of this country and met a lot of fine people.

I volunteered at the 1999 IBR as a tech inspector and scorer to learn how it was run. I again volunteered in the 2003 IBR after I had already run the rally in 2001. Things had changed and I wanted to learn how. How they used GPS'es were one of the big changes. Bigger changes came later as Kneebone started handing out the rally bonuses digitally and you had to learn how to load them into your routing s/w.

Redfish, have a great time but, be careful. Work up to it slowly. And pull over for a catnap if you get drowsy. Don't depend upon coffee or caffeine remedies. They let you down hard.

If anyone here wants to do one of these rides or prepare for the IBR and wants some advice or help, I'd be happy to offer my services. Just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
I bet Joe Z. has been asked the WHY? question before.

STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Last edited by zldrider; May 31st, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012   #23
USMotoGPFans

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
What about riding 1000 miles in 24 hours all by yourself? No receipts. No witnesses.

No rules.

Does that count?

I dont have a problem with riding the 1000 miles. Just all the requirements to "prove" it.

Although its better just to ride as much as feels good and let it go at that.
This sort of thing comes up all the time... I can mostly cut and paste my response:

The "I don't need no piece of paper to tell me I did the ride" notion has always bugged me a little bit.

The IBA gathers together people who are interested in LD riding -- a seriously tiny niche. Some are fanatical about it.

If a rider is interested specifically in LD riding, it's natural for them to gravitate to the one organization where they can tap into expertise and enjoy the camaraderie of similarly afflicted riders.

Getting a ride certified should rightly be worthy of respect and celebration. Not to be a "bigger badass", but to share with your family and riding peers a point in time that you did something fun, and to have an enduring memento to remind you of it.

It's kind of like taxidermy. I have several dozen mounts in my house. I think they are beautiful, and I guess that's why I spent the money on them, but what made it all worth it is that frequently one catches my eye and brings me back to a very specific good memory. Sure, I could remember the hunt without the physical reminder... but I wouldn't as often. Or as well.

I've got a few IBA certs, a couple of which I can glance up and see as I type this. It's not a chest thumping thing, more a moment of private joy as I remember the rides. And like Joe said, the plate backer often leads to great conversations.

Not to mention the undeniable fact that dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's properly so that the ride can be certified is a different sort of accomplishment than just riding the miles. Doing it right isn't always easy.

Among the riders who don't certify their rides but claim to have Big Dog LD chops, some of them are right.

If they're still having fun and doing it safely, who'se to criticize? But it does seem a bit odd to claim an affinity for this niche activity and avoid the structure created by the one group that understands it.

If I've got a question about LD riding and there are 10 guys claiming to know what they are talking about but that they "don't need no piece of paper to prove it" - and one guy with an IBA plate backer - I'm asking the guy with the plate backer. It's an automatic BS filter.

King of the Ferries
"Ride To Eat" data czar
USMotoGPFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012   #24
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Here's how to join the LDRider email list (a veritable fountain of Long Distance Riding lore and information):

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://ibdone.org/mailman/listinfo/ldrider_ibdone.org
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
ldrider-request@ibdone.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
ldrider-owner@ibdone.org

This list single-handedly accelerated my learning by years.

Be careful if you join, though. These guys and gals know what they're talking about and will call B.S. on any "newbie" know-it-all ("Newbie" here meaning new to Long Distance Riding, not riding itself).

My advice for anyone that wants to join it is to join and then lurk for a while (a few days or weeks) and listen/read. There's a high signal to noise ratio sometimes but then, a gem or two of info will emerge making it all worth while.

After you've been lurking for a while, introduce yourself, tell them why you're there, and ask a question. You will be amazed at how helpful the people can be. As long as you go about it the right way.

Most of the people there are Type A personalities (i.e., smart, ambitious, knowledgable, a little arrogant, and they cut through the B.S.). I count myself among those who have those qualities, BTW. Especially the arrogant part. ;-)

As Steve Jones just said, I'll listen to the one guy with the IBA Plate Backer over a guy without because I KNOW he'll know what he's talking about.

It's kind of like having a Microsoft Certification in an interview competing with others who do not. Who ya gonna call back?

;-)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old June 1st, 2012   #25
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMotoGPFans View Post

The IBA gathers together people who are interested in LD riding -- a seriously tiny niche. Some are fanatical about it.

Are you saying they are nuts?

Nope its more like:

Old June 1st, 2012   #26
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMotoGPFans View Post
It's kind of like taxidermy. I have several dozen mounts in my house. I think they are beautiful, and I guess that's why I spent the money on them, but what made it all worth it is that frequently one catches my eye and brings me back to a very specific good memory. Sure, I could remember the hunt without the physical reminder... but I wouldn't as often. Or as well.
Ive seen where pet lovers are having them freeze dried after they die.

Considering its fluid grace and the inquisitive look in its eyes my cat has, I cant imagine seeing it frozen in place for all time, never to move again.

Or any other animal for that matter.

Nope its more like:

Last edited by echo; June 1st, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old June 1st, 2012   #27
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Very good stuff Steve. I love a well written, well thought explanation. I agree with everything you wrote and appreciate you contributing.

Joe Z. you are dead on about the type A personality description, but you forgot the part about being good looking.

Echo, we are all a little nuts here. I am not sure where your cat comes into the picture but I promise not to freeze it.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012   #28
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

BTW Redfish, I lived in Lake Charles, LA in my youth (4 yrs old maybe a bit older). I remember stepping over a Water Mochasin (sp?) and my dad hitting it with a shovel.

So, where are you planning to ride (i.e., what is your route)?

The first SS1000's route is important to think about and plan.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old June 1st, 2012   #29
USMotoGPFans

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
...join the LDRider email list ... There's a high noise to signal ratio sometimes...
There, I fixed that for ya...

::G,D&R::

King of the Ferries
"Ride To Eat" data czar
USMotoGPFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012   #30
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

This route planning is worrisome. Some guys ride 500 miles, turn around and ride 500 miles back home so that they have the security and comfort of home to look forward to. Others are actually going somewhere. I have not decided what I am doing yet. There is no way I am riding through New Orleans at rush hour though.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote