ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Long Distance Riding

Long Distance Riding Iron Butt or Endurance rides.

Old May 30th, 2012   #11
echo
The sky is falling...

Default Re: Thinking about IBA Cert.

If you ride 1000 miles (or two thousand) isnt that good enough for you? What do you care what others think? Why jump through all these hoops to "prove" that you did it? You know if you did it or not. What do you care about some organization called IBA who making you do all this stuff like your one of the monkeys being trained to fly the Mercury capsule? (Ham...in Tom Wolfs book The Right Stuff?)

And as long as we are asking that question, what the hell difference does it matter how many miles you ride in one day? On trips there are days you make 200 miles, then there are days you make 700. It all depends on the conditions and how you feel. Anyone whos ridden on trips like that knows to accept what the day brings. Pushing things is asking for trouble. Let how the day goes decide how far you ride.

I am not saying you cant develope your ability to remain in the saddle for longer and longer periods of time. That is usually a function of equipment and adaption.

But this getting someone signature to "prove" you did it....who cares?

Of course all this is my opinion. I do plenty of things others might question. But I keep those things a mystery as far as possible.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012   #12
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Why get a degree in College?

Why get an MS Certification?

Why get a pilot's license?

Why get a driver's license?

Why, why, why?

Why climb a mountain?

Sometimes it is to quickly prove (to yourself or others) that you are capable of doing something that others cannot.

For me, I wanted to see if I could do it. There is a certain feeling of accomplishment when someone else says, "You did it!"

But, like I said earlier, if I have to explain, you'll never understand.

;-)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012   #13
echo
The sky is falling...

Right everybody has different things they want to do. Life is short...do what you want.

I guess people dont have accidents riding those 1000 mile rides or you would hear about it.

Sometimes you find yourself in a situation where you HAVE TO put the miles on even though you are tired, the weather isnt good, its nighttime etc.

But personally I have found it best to keep that sort of thing to a minimum.

The piece of paper thing saying you did it just doesnt appeal to me. I mean, dont they TRUST me?

When did I ever make something up?

Nope its more like:

Old May 30th, 2012   #14
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

For me, it depends on what the achievement is and the reason for doing it. Where I live, doing a 1,000 mile day is pretty much insane and mostly unachievable-the country is not big enough, the road system is too twisty and there is too much traffic around.
I am about to set off around Europe and the itinerary adds up to about 1,800 miles in 10 days. Some of those days, like the Stelvio Pass day, are not that long but I know that we are all very tired at the end of it!
I personally am not a 'certificate' guy (except for my professional qualifications and experience which HAS to be certificated) but I DO have a photo wall which illustrates some of my escapades and I sometimes sit in there quietly looking and remembering. A 1K mile day is no mean feat (I know I couldn't do it) and if it is done within the framework of an association then, in my book, it is perfectly understandable that a person would want it documented and recognised by his/her peers. And the certificate on the wall will bring back those memories.
The only time I put a lot of miles in is not for the sake of it but purely to get me from one place to another place where I need to be. So, on Saturday morning I am crossing the English Channel (or La Manche as the French call it) and will bash a lot of miles because on Sunday I need to be in Nurenburg to meet up with friends. I will also, incidentally, have been into 4 countries already, each with their own language, namely France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany. The only German I know is the word for an exhaust pipe/muffler:- spitzenpoppenbangentuben
(that reduces my German friends to hysterics).
Happy days.
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012   #15
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I bet Joe Z. has been asked the WHY? question before. In all honesty I don't need to have any IBA cert. to make me happy, but I have decided I want one. This is something you can't buy, you have to earn it.

I never thought much about getting on a motorcycle and just burning up the interstate for hours on end. This seems to be the height of boredom and a complete waste of valuable motorcycle time. I spend lots of time looking at maps, planning a way to stay on curvy roads as much as possible. This is pretty difficult in Swampy Flatlandistan, it's all flat.

I can't really answer the WHY? question. But you know what, I don't have to answer it. Most people don't understand why we ride motorcycles to begin with. Lots of the people I know who ride Harley's would be horrified at the idea of more than 20 or 30 minutes in the saddle, they don't understand why I ride an ugly bike, why I don't have loud pipes, why there is no chrome.

I don't have to explain, the ones who know, know.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012   #16
echo
The sky is falling...

[quote=Redfish;20535], they don't understand why I ride an ugly bike, quote]

But the ST is a BEAUTIFUL bike.

Sometimes I just stand there and look at it.

Nope its more like:

Old May 30th, 2012   #17
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

[quote=echo;20536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
, they don't understand why I ride an ugly bike, quote]

But the ST is a BEAUTIFUL bike.

Sometimes I just stand there and look at it.
Echo, I actually agree with you on this one. It makes me happy to look at it, it calls to something inside I can't explain. Having it here all shiny and sophisticated looking is a source of pride for me. I always thought that the best looking color was the '05 burgundy but I really love the SuperFast Ballistic Blue of my '04 as well.
Old May 30th, 2012   #18
dduelin
Loquacious Member

Just about anyone can pound out 1000 interstate miles in 20 hours much less 24 if you plan and work up to it. When I route planned my SS1000 I laid out a route that included 650 miles of two lane roads. I wanted to do all of it on two lanes but knew I could not average the necessary speed to do so especially with a RTE in the middle of it. As it were my qualifying IBA ride was 1029 miles in +/- 20 hours. As most LD riders will tell you the key is time management and staying in the saddle ticking off miles. Outright speed won't do it if you stop too many times for too long.

I know riders that poo poo the IBA thing and some may even do long miles but just don't document it but for me it was important to record the achievement and get the ability to display the "colors" to friends that had already done it and also to those that aspire to do LD riding.

Honda NC700X/D
Honda ST1300
Honda CH 80
IBA 33208
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012   #19
Redfish
Donators

When I got my captain's license so I could run charters I was extremely proud. I made sure that I had "Captain Andrew" embroidered on all my fishing shirts. I made the joke that I would even have "Captain" embroidered on my underwear. Of course, it was just a joke, but Mom showed up with a pair of drawers with Captain Andrew across the bottom.

I think that since this is something you have to earn, you can't buy it and it represents membership in an elite club, it has its appeal. It's just like that 100 ton masters license, it is a message to all that you are serious, you are knowledgeable and that you are capable of doing things that softer men will not attempt. This is no ill reflection on those who don't want it, I did not want it for years. My father still could care less. Of course his shirts still have Captain on the front. I am for sure not Iron Butt Rally material but I want that license plate holder. It is significant that on the forums I read, some of the most knowledgeable and helpful contributors are members of that club. When I see a bike with one of those license plate holders, it always catches me. I pass by those bikes with an extra measure of respect. Of course, I think they are crazy too.
Old May 31st, 2012   #20
Poppi
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
When I got my captain's license so I could run charters I was extremely proud. I made sure that I had "Captain Andrew" embroidered on all my fishing shirts. I made the joke that I would even have "Captain" embroidered on my underwear. Of course, it was just a joke, but Mom showed up with a pair of drawers with Captain Andrew across the bottom.

I think that since this is something you have to earn, you can't buy it and it represents membership in an elite club, it has its appeal. It's just like that 100 ton masters license, it is a message to all that you are serious, you are knowledgeable and that you are capable of doing things that softer men will not attempt. This is no ill reflection on those who don't want it, I did not want it for years. My father still could care less. Of course his shirts still have Captain on the front. I am for sure not Iron Butt Rally material but I want that license plate holder. It is significant that on the forums I read, some of the most knowledgeable and helpful contributors are members of that club. When I see a bike with one of those license plate holders, it always catches me. I pass by those bikes with an extra measure of respect. Of course, I think they are crazy too.

It couldn't have been said any better.

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote