ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Long Distance Riding

Long Distance Riding Iron Butt or Endurance rides.

Old October 12th, 2012   #111
Panfan

Default Re: Thinking about IBA Cert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickPeake View Post
My county (Bedfordshire, UK) is about 35 miles in length from north to south, and about 22 miles in its greatest breadth. I tried a 1k once but after the first 145 mile circuit of the boundaries, which took most of the day, I gave up, put the ST away and went down to my pub instead!
greetings glad you will not be far away, i arrive at heathrow on the 14th december , lets try and set a date for our frosty in Bromham
Panfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012   #112
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfan View Post
greetings glad you will not be far away, i arrive at heathrow on the 14th december , lets try and set a date for our frosty in Bromham
Like I said - I'm off to Lanzarote and warm sunshine for Xmas and New Year on 20th December. If you are in Bromham between 14th and 20th December, then we can have a beer. My motorcycle club is Oakley MC (www.oakleymc.net) which meets just a couple of miles from Bromham on Thursday evenings, so that might be a good evening for you. Just PM me with your travel arrangements and we will see what can be arranged.

, Dick
1977 Triumph Bonneville T140V
2003 Land Rover Defender 110 - sold
2003 Honda ST1300ABS - sold
2010 Vauxhall Insignia Elite
2014 Honda CTX1300 TCS/ABS
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012   #113
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

But try doing that multiple days.

Also, was that your first time doing that distance?

That's what I'm talking about.

But, everyone is different. Perhaps you're a mutant?

However, in general for Joe-Blow non-frequent day rider, it's probably best to work up to distances like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfan View Post
I dont agree, i beleive its a mater of mind, i recently jumped on my trusty iron horse and did 1760 KMs, stock seat, stock bike, sure there were a few aches and pains but i set myself a goal and time, did it in 16 hours, fuel stops etc included, not to mention road works and major thunder storms, we might get older but its our attitude that counts. the older we get makes us wiser but more determined, belive in yourself and you can achieve anything even on a stock seat.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012   #114
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Joe, as always makes an excellent point. With the setup I had, the day I rode my SS1K, doing it for a second day was out of the question. I was sore. Could I have ridden a second day as long as the first? Only in the case of an extreme family emergency. I could have given about 8 hours or so, but certainly not another 18. Unless there was something more on the line than personal pride.

BTW, Joe now that I have the LD comfort biker lingerie, I am impressed. Dad and I both benefitted greatly from your advice on our ill-fated North Carolina trip.
Old October 13th, 2012   #115
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Glad you liked the LDComforts.

Sorry about your friend.

How's he doing?
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012   #116
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zldrider View Post
Glad you liked the LDComforts.

Sorry about your friend.

How's he doing?
The LDComfort is a perfect example of getting what you pay for. I could easily tell the difference between them and my ordinary undies after about 3-4 hours. No, the problem was not the lace around the edge.

My cousin is recovering nicely. He will have surgery to repair the broken collarbone and shoulder blade Monday morning. Thank you for asking.
Old October 16th, 2012   #117
TimM

I once rode about 970 miles in an 18 hour period. A Honda CB550K - stock - when I moved from PDX to Oxnard. I was 20 something, 135 pounds, a 5 mile a day type marathon runner, and riding the 550 to work pretty much every day, about 40 miles each way (all weather except snow), plus a multitude of weekend trips (45k miles in 1.5 years). Needless to say, my fanny was accustomed to abuse and 500 miles was where I started even thinking something might get tired let alone sore. I had company - a friend driving my a car - and we stopped every 100 miles for fuel, less often for food, etc. Other than rather well, I was quite ready to go the next morning.

Since then the farthest I've gone on a bike is 780 miles in a day, on the ST. It was after a few 400+ days. That was a tough run. I probably wouldn't have made it 250 miles had there been a "next day" ride. And this long ride was with a reasonably fitted Day Long seat, Alaska Leather fleece with gel, no-seam silver threaded anti-bacterial undies, fairing/mirror kit, foot wings, and risers.

In all, I attribute the difference to a less capable rider: at nearly 100 pounds heavier than my 20's, doubling the PSI the fanny feels is just plain painful, and very difficult to accommodate with any upgrade.
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012   #118
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

I rode from PDX to Corning California last year and that assure me I don't want to do it, anymore.

That's why I have a cargo trailer.

My trip this year cost me 9 MPG in my V-10 VAN but it was worth it, to me.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012   #119
idjit9

i did an iron butt at the beginning of this year, got a certificate. however i didn't recieve a number, still no response.
idjit9 is offline   Reply With Quote