ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Long Distance Riding

Long Distance Riding Iron Butt or Endurance rides.

Old September 12th, 2015   #21
jimgregory

Default Re: Planning my first SS1000...

This is the last thing I would want to do (as we speak anyway). And I doubt I COULD do it. In fact there are LEGIONS of us that could not do it.
It is definitely a feat. Good luck OP, and a salute to all that can manage these endurance rides. You guys learn things that trickle down to make us all better off, and more comfortable, happy, and safe.
jimgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015   #22
arjay3rd

Default Day is getting close for my first SS1000...

Well, the time is getting close. The weather looks good for this weekend so a 4:00am departure on Saturday is the plan.
I am getting a new rear tire on the ST tomorrow. I just put on a new front before Labor Day. I thought the rear had plenty of life but the 1,000 miles over Labor Day weekend and the 350 miles last Saturday chasing bicycle riders all day took its toll. By the end of Saturday the rear was close to used up. I would push it a bit more but not for a ride like this.
After input from the group I decided on a circuitous route as opposed to the out and back I had originally planned. I have attached a copy of my route with some of my notes. I mark where I should be by the hour as it is a mental game to see how far ahead (hopefully not behind) I am as the day progresses. My calculations are based on finishing in 20 hours, hopefully I can do a bit better.
I will be meeting up with family just east of Omaha (words in a song?) for a quick lunch stop. I then will make a short stop in Grain Valley Missouri to see my son at about 5:00pm. You all are correct that adding those stops already is giving me something to look forward to.
Tonight I will put together my checklist of all the things I need to be assured are on the bike when I go. I am kind of nut about checklists.
It is strange how I am anxious and a bit nervous about this endeavor (the good kind of nervous, line from a movie?) but I don't think anything of jumping on the bike and heading to Colorado or the east coast for a rally. I guess it is the "completion thing".
With the planning complete it is now just about the doing. I actually went back and reread Redfish's report on his first SS1000. That was a great account of the day. I only wish I had good barbecue to look forward to on my ride.
I'll let the group know how this all comes together after I finish.
Attached Images

arjay3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015   #23
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

When you submit the paperwork include that map.

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015   #24
arjay3rd

Thanks, Paul. I will do just that.
Old September 16th, 2015   #25
rikSTr
Forum Supporter

I'm just outside of Cedar Rapids and decently close to Iowa City which is halfway between your 8am and 9am checkpoints. If you run into any issues nearby give me a call. 319.four3one.two9zero9 If nothing else I can tell how far away from the nearest Honda service shop.
Old September 16th, 2015   #26
Garry in AZ

Best of luck to you Arjay! Make sure you get receipts at the "corners" of your ride. If you have a SPOT or use the Bubbler app, save your tracks on Spotwalla so you can send that link in with your paperwork as well.
Just make all your stops as short as possible and keep the wheels turning, you can do this!
Remember to record your mileage at each stop. I simply write it on the bottom of the receipt and do the paperwork later. Receipts are critical for the verification team, don't lose them! Check each one for a proper location, date and time before you leave. If it's wrong, try to get a replacement inside if possible. This is really important at the main corners of your route. Remember if you get a "bad" receipt or the pump is out of paper and the station is closed, (it happens to all of us) you can always use a receipt from an ATM or similar.

One last bit of advice. You may want to call your credit card company and tell them you will be making unusual purchases at gas stations this weekend. That sometimes prevents your card getting turned off where the card company suspects fraudulent usage. I call mine every time I do an LD ride.

Good luck, have a safe and fun ride! We are looking forward to hearing about your successful Saddlesore 1000!

Garry

IBA # 514
AMA and H.O.G. Member

We have enough youth... What we need is a fountain of SMART!
Garry in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015   #27
arjay3rd

Thanks, RikSTr...your number is in my phone. Hopefully you will not hear from me.
Thanks for the advice Garry. I think my apprehension is the fear of jacking something up with my documentation at each corner. As long as I don't have a total brain fade I should be OK. All of my corners are in well populated areas so fuel or an ATM should not be an issue. Good thought on the credit card company. I will make that call today.