ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Riding & Touring > Long Distance Riding

Long Distance Riding Iron Butt or Endurance rides.

Old July 13th, 2015   #41
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Default Re: The Iron Butt Rally starts today

Here is what he said,

"... The bike started exhibiting strange behavior, and when they plugged it into the shop diagnostics it died. Drove it to the shop no issues."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
The scuttlebutt on the FJR Forum is that the main computer crapped out. At least, that's what was supposedly diagnosed originally. Sam may find out the real scoop when he gets the bike back.

Sad, really. Buys a top of the line monster, and it does that in it's first real test ride. Reportedly, he hadn't given it a thorough shakedown before the IBR.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015   #42
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Congrats, Garry.

It is indeed hard to find motivation some days. Glad you pulled through and finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry in AZ View Post
The 2015 IBR was the most fun I have had in quite a while. I was also pulling for Eric Jewel to win, after his bizarre mishap in '13. I talked with him about it a few months later at the ITU rally that year, and he told me the cause of his low side crash was the pivot bolt for the rear brake caliper had backed out. He is an amazing rider, and when you beat guys like Josh and Jim you have to be at the top of your game.
As a rookie, my primary goal was simply to finish, so Legs 1 and 2 were planned to simply gather as many states and parks as possible, with little regard to points. I knew that point values would increase in Leg 3 and I wanted to have as few states left to chase as possible, so I could chase a few more points.
I am thrilled with my 31st place finish in my first attempt. It won't be my last.
Thanks to Kevin for the words of encouragement I found taped to my seat one morning! In an event like this, your determination can wane in the last few days, and all that sort of encouragement is quite helpful. I also had a fellow hold up a "GO IBR RIDER!" sign as I passed him on the highway somewhere in Ohio. It came as quite a surprise to me that "normal" people were even watching.

In a couple of weeks I will do a ride report, and post it here.

Thanks to you all for the kind words and encouragement along the way.

Oh, and by the way, it may interest some to know that I now have just over 11,200 miles on a PR4 GT rear tire, and it is not quite to the wear bars. However, I did purposely ride quite gently to conserve it's life, and my rally included well over 3000 miles of very wet roads.

Garry
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

Old July 13th, 2015   #43
chaissos
Donators

Grats! I didn't know anyone here was riding. I was pretty much glued to my machine when I could be, following the flags and reading the posts and daily reports.

Finishing in and of itself is an accomplishment. I'm not anywhere near that standard, and probably won't be for quite a while - e.g., after I retire. I won't have time before then (and then I'll be too broken).
Old July 13th, 2015   #44
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Grats! I didn't know anyone here was riding. I was pretty much glued to my machine when I could be, following the flags and reading the posts and daily reports.

Finishing in and of itself is an accomplishment. I'm not anywhere near that standard, and probably won't be for quite a while - e.g., after I retire. I won't have time before then (and then I'll be too broken).
Broke and broken.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015   #45
chaissos
Donators

Nah, I'm fairly well set up once I get there. My body's just too broke to do too much. Thanks, Air Force!
Old July 16th, 2015   #46
horst

shoot missed this .... was a real fan years ago ....

also did one official SS1000 and a couple more unofficial ones, but the comment about arriving bleary eyed is very true .... the IBR is 10 of these in a row, not my thing anymore

ride 600 or so then stop .... smell the roses ... heck have a burger and a beer !

but to each his own .... what they do is amazing.
horst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2015   #47
mariowink

I went to the start and finish of this year's IBR. I was lucky to make it there. I had to park my BMW R1200RT because of drive shaft issues. I thought I was going to miss out. Last minute I picked up a 2003 ST1300A for a fair price. Took it home on Saturday and left for the IBR on Wednesday. All I really did was put some stuff from my saddle bags into the ones on the ST and took off. 16 hours later I was 1000 miles away from home. I had to stop in a motel and kill some time as I was too early. Riding from Provo Utah to Price Utah got cold in the morning. Like down to 36 degrees. My shoulders and back were cold but my legs and lower body were fine. The ST1300 kept me warm on the trip and I know I would have had to use my electrics on the RT. The bike worked out real well and I figure to keep it. All I need for it is a seat designed for me and a rear brake pedal. It was fun to witness the start and finish of the IBR. The ST1300 saved my trip.
Old July 19th, 2015   #48
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

Our Chief Bottle Washers ST?

Paul
PaulRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015   #49
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Yes, say hello to Mario Winkelman, who bought my ST.

He is also the main guy behind LD Comfort shorts.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218