ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > General

General For posts related to the Honda ST1300.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21
barnett468

Default Re: 2009 st1300 not charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob2m View Post
Both sides need to come off because you will have to drain the radiator. The top bit can stay on, the tank will tip up, it comes up from the front end. It's all fairly straightforward when you have worked out how all the tupperware is attached. The only hard bit is getting the injectors out of their rubber mounts, that needs a bit of pretty strong & careful levering.
i may start on this tomorrow.

so i need to tip the front of the tank to gain access the radiators to drain them but the tank will not be in the way of removing the injectors or air box etc?

why does the front of the tank have to tip up if i am not removing the radiator?

i don't have to loosen anything on the swing arm?

whats a rough estimate on the time it will take to do the entire job start to finish working at a moderate pace?

Last edited by barnett468; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:07 PM.
barnett468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
i may start on this tomorrow.

so i need to tip the front of the tank to gain access the radiators to drain them but the tank will not be in the way of removing the injectors or air box etc?

why does the front of the tank have to tip up if i am not removing the radiator?

i don't have to loosen anything on the swing arm?

whats a rough estimate on the time it will take to do the entire job start to finish working at a moderate pace?
I could do it in a day but thats because I have done it before. The radiator is at the front of the bike but you need it off to get access to the alternator bolts. The front of the tank lifts up and there is a stay that holds it up like a car hood. Under the tank its fairly straightforward to remove the air box this gives you access to the injectors, when you have unplugged them and loosened them from the mounts you can then just lift them up too without removing the fuel lines to get access to the thermostat and pipework and the alternator is just behind that lot. It sounds like a lot but it's not that difficult. Hardest part for me was the lower alternator bolt, I managed to round the head on mine but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

I think Paul was suggesting the police mechanics may have damaged cabling round the swing arm with their electrical installation. I haven't heard of this but it may well be worth checking for continuity of the feed from the alternator when you can get to it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #24
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 93 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

I was suggesting that a shop manual is essential for servicing and testing the ST.
The P model haves several differing items than the civilian model, wiring, but in essence it is the same bike until you get to the swingarm pivot.
Do not fixate on the swingarm, it simply a different torque sequence but a critical difference requiring a shop manual that highlights the difference.
The alternator and it's testing is the same Police or Civilian model.

On the fuel tank.
The top, main tank, is directly connected to the bottom fuel tank via a "special" hose. The top tank must be completely empty or removal is a serious mess involving fuel, lots of fuel, there is no shutoff valve.
Although it can be tipped upward, pivoting from the rear of the tank, getting the throttle bodies off their manifolds requires serious thought and more than a little brute force, do not pry on the TB assembly.
The tank installed is a serious obstruction.
Since the bike in question is in effect a "non-runner" riding the fuel out is not a option. You can siphon most fuel out but you need to be prepared for a fairly large fuel spill. Some type of semi-rigid line is best used, there is a float in there don't force the line it it hits a obstruction.
Aim for left side rear to get most out.
Any and every time you "tip" the tank it puts strain on the hose.
Having a hose on-hand is considered good practice.
Tube, Fuel Joint 17545-MCS-G00.

I would try every test possible before I considered going in after the alternator.

Paul
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #25
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

It is no fun to work under the tank, remove it carefully, as stated.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #26
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
It is no fun to work under the tank, remove it carefully, as stated.
I didn't find it an issue but I guess at that stage it's not hard to remove anyway.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #27
Wjbertrand
ST guru

I think the discussions around the swing arm are confusing the ST1100 and the ST1300. I've pulled the alternator before from both models, there are no cables or anything involving the swing arm on the 1300.
I recommend pulling the tank and the throttle bodies completely off if you need to actually pull the alternator. Much better access. The upper tank should be empty once the low fuel light begins blinking.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #28
barnett468

thanks for all the info.

i got delayed so i will start on it tomorrow but can't spend a lot of time. i'm sure i will have more questions and will post my "results" as i go along, lol.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #29
ligito
Donators

Rep Power: 154 ligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura aboutligito has a spectacular aura about

Steady on, chap.

STOC 4669

Pantera Azul
ligito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #30
barnett468

Ok, got all the plastic and the tank off. Took more time than effort but it was only around 1 1/2 hours at a leisurely pace, and fortunately the top tank was dry. Removing the tank only took a few minutes so it just seemed safer and easier to work on with it completely out of the way.

Noooow....I am staring at the air box (I guess) under the tank and see a bunch of wires and plugs and something that looks like a valve etc.

Any suggestions as to what all has to come out of that area besides the fuel injectors if I ever find them, and what part is what etc?

Thanks again for all the help. Gone too far to turn back now, lol.