ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Polls

Polls Add a new poll or vote in an existing poll here.

View Poll Results: How do you fill your tank with gas?
I put my ST up on its centerstand. 39 42.86%
I put my ST on its sidestand. 53 58.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 16th, 2010   #31
maginter

Default Re: Gas fillups - side stand or centerstand?

No, it is self service and I have never had a problem pulling close enough to the pump to do everything without getting off the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
Ok, I think I figured part of it out - you guys that stay seated to fill up must be at full service stations where someone hands you the hose. Otherwise, you're saying you get off, open the tank, swipe the card, select the grade, grab the hose, mount, carefully avoid pouring fuel on yourself, manage the hose bib into the tank, fill, then reverse all this, just for a possible extra ounce of fuel ?!???

maginter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2010   #32
TimM

Cute - but if Brits really understood English (which is actually a Germanic language -nudge nudge wink wink) they'd know gas is the common term for gasoline. :-), and the German term "camp gas" to which he is referring is LPG.

Kinda like the difference between "sch" in school and schedule, or adding "re" to a word and pronouncing it "er". Brits never could make up their mind on how the English language works. Go figure.

lmao
TimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010   #33
Blue Bayou

Quote:
Ok, I think I figured part of it out - you guys that stay seated to fill up must be at full service stations where someone hands you the hose. Otherwise, you're saying you get off, open the tank, swipe the card, select the grade, grab the hose, mount, carefully avoid pouring fuel on yourself, manage the hose bib into the tank, fill, then reverse all this, just for a possible extra ounce of fuel ?!???
Or, we live in Oregon where you can't fill your own car, but the attendant doesn't want the possability that he might spill gas on your tank, so he hands you the hose....

And, I've put 7.5 gallons in, once.... after running out and coasting into the station. It's usually 6.7 to 7.2 gallons. I generally get 325 miles out of a tank.... got 375 miles on one tank last summer.

Last edited by Blue Bayou; January 17th, 2010 at 02:04 PM.
Blue Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2010   #34
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Cute - but if Brits really understood English (which is actually a Germanic language -nudge nudge wink wink) they'd know gas is the common term for gasoline. :-), and the German term "camp gas" to which he is referring is LPG.

Kinda like the difference between "sch" in school and schedule, or adding "re" to a word and pronouncing it "er". Brits never could make up their mind on how the English language works. Go figure.

lmao
Ah, but the last time we were invaded was in 1066, by the Normans. So French is a big part of our language. And that is why we spell centre that way. You guys are much more phonetic - you hear what we say and spell it how you hear it. Centre is way older than center. We know gas is short for gasoline, but we don't call petrol 'gasoline' either. The petro-chemical industry would sound weird called the gaso-chemical industry. I'm gonna pull rank here - we were speaking English a whole lot earlier than you guys were. We know exactly how the English language works (sort of - in a loose sorta way) We know that bough, bow and cow sound the same in one context and that bough, cough and off sound the same in another context. How about this: 'OneOne' was a race hourse. 'TwoOne' was one too. 'OneOne' won one race. 'TwoOne' won one too!

All very off topic, and all in very good fun, with great affection for you funny guys over the water.

, Dick
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010   #35
Andy Kirby

Centre stand unless the ground it way too uneven for it. With an Aux. tank I have to get off to fill up and side stands can be treacherous things if the ground slopes ......

BTW Webster made an effort to 'simplify' many of the spellings rather than stay with the old versions in his dictionary. English is a living, breathing language that changes and adapts. The version spoken here in the Colonies is a divergent line that has stayed more true to the original version if anything. Hence pants (pantaloons) instead of the more modern 'trousers' etc

Andy
Andy Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010   #36
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 127 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Gas fillups - side stand or centerstand?

Trousers: middle English (11th to 13th century) - spelt trews in Scotland and trouse in England. One on each leg, hence trousers. Pantaloons came into existence in France at the time of the French Revolution, in the late 1700's.

I win - subject closed. Back on topic.

DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010   #37
Andy Kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickPeake View Post
Trousers: middle English (11th to 13th century) - spelt trews in Scotland and trouse in England. One on each leg, hence trousers. Pantaloons came into existence in France at the time of the French Revolution, in the late 1700's.

I win - subject closed. Back on topic.

You do indeed, I'll have to have a word with Mrs Andy as that's one of her 'proverbs' but it does show how the common languages diverged at the time of the Revolution. Best not to mention any commonality with the Cheese eating surrender monkeys though ;-)

Beers on me next time we meet.

Regards

Andy
Andy Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010   #38
bygdawg

I need another category. I fill mine up while I sit on it. I keep it in the upright position as I do so. So, I guess you could say I fill it to the brim with power premium.
bygdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010   #39
na1g

Just don't get premium on your 'knickers'.

pete
na1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010   #40
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

Ok, I tried filling it up on the centerstand today but, I think I have figured out why I don't get as many gallons in my tank as some of you.

I don't like to wait till the blinking indicator for "Miles left" is down to zero.

When I filled up today, it was blinking "37" miles to go. I put in 6.5 gallons.

But here's a question: If I say that I get 35 miles per gallon and if I round the "miles to go" to 35, that would only be another .10 gallon I could put into the tank bringing up the total to 6.6 gallons. Where's the other 1.1 gallon space gone off to?

Three possibilities:
  1. The "Miles to Go" is really far off in accuracy.
  2. The fuel pump's inlet can't suck all the fuel out of the tank.
  3. A combination of the two.
Can't do much about the "Miles to Go". I'll have to check the fuel pump sometime when I'm down in there.

I doubt I'll ever be adventurous as some of you who wait till you have .001 miles to go before filling up.
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote