ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Other

Other The catch-all location for all the other "farkles" that you've added.

Old June 20th, 2017   #1
Superdirk
Donators

Default Fuel boiling

I was riding in the UK the last couple of days in wonderful weather. Beautiful roads, 30 °C and not a cloud in the sky. The only problem : The bike was running HOT. I mean superhot. Much hotter that I ever experienced in the last 14 years I owned this bike.

When riding uphill at 70mph in the 30°C heat, the engine started to cut out intermittedly. Heavy stuttering. The engine would alternate between full power and no power in maybe half a second. No exit in sight, so had to pull over on the emergency lane. The frame, the footpegs, the seat, but most importantly, both fuel tanks were superhot. Too hot to touch. Coolant temperature steady at 3 bars, fans switching on and off regularly. No warning lights on the instruments. My best guess was that the fuel was so hot, it must have been boiling in the injector gallery causing vaporlock.

I opened the fuel tank to let in some fresh air and to use evaporation as a cooling method. After 15 minutes or so, the bike started up fine again and ran fine for the remainder of the trip, even at higher ambient temperatures (up to 33°C). I added fresh cool fuel whenever the tank was half empty. The tank and frame continuously felt much hotter than I ever experienced before.

Can anybody think of a reason why the fuel itself could be heating up so much ? Maybe some kind of FPR, pump or injector failure that could increase the flow of fuel through the rails back into the tank ? Clearly something is different in the bike from before....
Superdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017   #2
Rob2m
Loquacious Member

Default Re: Fuel boiling

I think it's much more likely to be electrical issues.
Old June 21st, 2017   #3
echo
The sky is falling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdirk View Post
The tank and frame continuously felt much hotter than I ever experienced before.

Can anybody think of a reason why the fuel itself could be heating up so much ? Maybe some kind of FPR, pump or injector failure that could increase the flow of fuel through the rails back into the tank ? Clearly something is different in the bike from before....
Cant imagine a failure in the fuel system which would make the footpegs super hot.

You say later it was even hotter and the bike ran normally. Ive heard of fuel boiling at altitude but all was well afterwards. How high were you?

How high temps have you experienced previously?

Perhaps it was a defective tank of fuel?

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017   #4
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough

I am wondering about the fuel quality also.
Old June 22nd, 2017   #5
Superdirk
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
You say later it was even hotter and the bike ran normally. Ive heard of fuel boiling at altitude but all was well afterwards. How high were you?
I was near the coast, no altitude. I have driven up to 34 degrees in a traffic jam a couple of years ago, wasn't that hot.
I think I am going to inspect the radiator, the airflow below the tank and the FPR. There must be some reason why everything gets so much hotter than in the past.
Superdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017   #6
technician

I experienced this on a BMW K1100LT, same symptoms and traced it to low fuel level. I have always kept the tanks on my bikes near full when riding in high temperatures as the heat in the engine rises and causes the fuel to overheat.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting “WOW, What a Ride!”
technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017   #7
echo
The sky is falling...

Here in Philly there's reports going around about defective gas damaging peoples engines. The Department of weights and measures has been called in to examine the gas and gas stations tanks. Numerous people are on the local news with engines they claim have been damaged by the gas.

Nope its more like:

Look! The Emperor has no clothes!
echo is offline   Reply With Quote