ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Other

Other The catch-all location for all the other "farkles" that you've added.

Old August 11th, 2013   #1
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Delkevic Exhaust, worth the time?

As much as I love my ST, and I do really really love it, I am not happy with the exhaust sound. I like the sneaky V-4 symbolism Honda did with the shape as seen from behind, I like the way the factory cans look. I just don't care for the sound.

On the other hand, I will not own anything that I cannot start at 4 a.m. without disturbing my neighbors. If it is noisy enough to be noticed, it is too noisy. I am not going to be the jerk with the loud pipes.

According to my research aftermarket exhaust will not add a noticeable amount of power to my ST. It will not improve fuel economy enough to notice either. As I type this I am struggling to think of one good reason to pay top dollar for an aftermarket exhaust. In fact there is no reason good enough for me to pay that kind of money for a brand new aftermarket system.

But...

I did read that there is a noticeable reduction in "felt heat". I would think that would be most apparent in stop and stop traffic. There is very little "go" in Baton Rouge traffic. I also read that there was a huge reduction in weight, I read that the weight loss alone was worth the time and money.

And... I know a guy... He is a member of the "other forum" and he (until recently) did ride an '04 ST1300 like mine. He has 100,000 miles on it and just wanted a new bike. He made a very good deal on a 2011 FJR with 3,000 miles and needs to get rid of some things. He just happened to have a set of Delkevic Exhaust Cans, nearly new, in the boxes. I have ridden with him a couple times, a nice fellow. He offered me a deal.

So, I took it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8734.jpg (53.6 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8735.jpg (56.0 KB, 228 views)
Old August 11th, 2013   #2
Redfish
Donators

Rep Power: 112 Redfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the roughRedfish is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Delkevic Exhaust, worth the time?

Of course, there is always more to the story.

He lives over an hour away from me. We went for a very spirited ride yesterday but he did not want to strap those two boxes to his bike. Since the guy leading the ride is much faster than me anyway and rides a Gen1 FJR I did not want that extra worry either. So, we made plans to meet today in Lafayette and swap funds and parts.

Since I was spending money on my "selfish hobby" and I did not really want to drive my 4WD diesel for such a small payload, I decided to bribe the wife and son. We would take her car, pick up the packages, then continue south to Avery Island. There we would tour the Tabasco Hot Sauce Factory and the grounds (Jungle Garden) of Avery Island.

It all worked out, everybody involved was happy, at least for a little while.

Pics:
1st Wife and Son at Avery Island
2nd Son, excited, Me ready to go home and play with my bike
3rd Tabasco Hot Sauce
4th My exhaust is in the trunk of that car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8643.jpg (53.9 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8645.jpg (57.0 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8651.jpg (57.3 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8714.jpg (52.5 KB, 227 views)
Old August 11th, 2013   #3
Redfish
Donators

So, I am finally doing it, I am installing the exhaust. They feel so light! I must be about to lose 30+ pounds of extra weight, right?

Well, no. According to Delkevic's website, each can weighs just under 6 pounds. With the midpipe installed I weighed each can and came up with about 6.5 pounds. I dropped the factory exhaust, weighed it and came up with about 11 pounds each.

So, I lost about 9 pounds total. 9 pounds??!! What? Is that all? Really? If you guys know some really really nasty curse words, the kind that you never want your Mom to hear you say, go ahead and insert them here. I won't type those words out, but I sure did think them. Over and over.

There is a HUGE difference in quality between the OEM system and the Delkevic. The OEM is perfect, robust, built to last the lifetime of a lifetime motorcycle. The Delkevic looks cheap. Feels cheap. (Was NOT cheap)

If the baffles are left in, which I did, you can see daylight looking through the pipe. If the baffles were removed, there would be a straight pipe opening from one end to the other. No visible restriction.

Once installed, straightened, restraightened, loosened and REstraightened, they do look pretty good. In fact, I like the look a lot. Then, I started it.

Folks, don't kid yourselves. There is nothing you can do to make an ST sound like anything other than an ST. You can make it louder, you can throw your credit card at it until your arm falls off, but you are not going to make it sound "good". It has a deeper rumble (good), it is louder (bad) and still does not sound like any other engine I have ever dealt with.

1) Looking through from back end
2 & 3) The finished product
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8736.jpg (53.1 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8740.jpg (53.9 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8741.jpg (55.3 KB, 226 views)
Old August 11th, 2013   #4
Wjbertrand
ST guru

The StainTunes are comparable to OEM in quality, especially since the hanger brackets are welded on, giving a cleaner look without the hanger strap. But, you are right, in spite of a meatier, deeper sound, it still sounds like an ST.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376271380.944368.jpg

-Jeff-
STOC 025
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net

Last edited by Wjbertrand; August 12th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013   #5
chaissos
Donators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
4th My exhaust is in the trunk of that car
lol - you're hilarious. Thank you.
Old August 12th, 2013   #6
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

You should see some heat reduction and that could be worth it.
As far as power increase until the header tubes are changed there will be little.
Lots of increase lurking about in the header tubes but changes will take custom bending/welding/expense.
New headers and cans will up performance and noise considerably.

Paul
Old August 12th, 2013   #7
Redfish
Donators

Well, I rode it to work and back. It is louder. Almost too loud. I have left the baffles in, I may try to remove them just to see but I cannot imagine wanting to leave them like that. I will have to make sure that they are not loud enough to bother my neighbors in the current (fully baffled) situation.

I cannot hear them while cruising at 55+ mph. At all.

I don't know yet about the heat reduction. The ride in was unseasonably cool, 77 degrees F at 4:00 am. The ride home was in the rain, the temp dropped accordingly. Our high today was in the low 90's.

I am not "sold" on the sound. I do like the look. I have not had an opportunity to experiment with any newfound power.
Old August 12th, 2013   #8
Wjbertrand
ST guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRB View Post
You should see some heat reduction and that could be worth it.
As far as power increase until the header tubes are changed there will be little. Lots of increase lurking about in the header tubes but changes will take custom bending/welding/expense. New headers and cans will up performance and noise considerably.

Paul
I know with the StainTunes, heat is greatly reduced and the pipes are actually just warm to the touch within minutes of shutting down. I searched the web for a before and after dyno run with an ST and StainTunes and never found one. There were plenty of other bikes with StainTunes tested before and after however. Most showed modest +3-5% or no power increase. As the Delkelvics are a similar straight through design, I would think there would similar performance changes.
2005 ST1300A
2015 ST1200

The original ST1100 LiST is at www.st-riders.net
Wjbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013   #9
Redfish
Donators

I thank you all for your responses.

The really dumb part is that I have never really wanted or needed more power from my ST. It is just fine like it came from the factory. I have always been pleased with the fuel economy. It gets anywhere from 42 to 51 mpg depending on how and where I ride it, and the ethanol content of its fuel.

In reality the only reason I would want aftermarket pipes is to improve the sound. Not what others hear, what I hear while I ride it.

Pluses and Minuses

- Only lost 9 pounds
- Negligible power gain
- Negligible economy improvement
- Still sounds goofy
- Louder than stock
- Cosmetic change

+ Lost 9 pounds!
+ Deeper Rumble
+ Reduction in felt heat
+ Cosmetic change

So, is it worth the time and money? You will have to answer that one yourself.
Old August 13th, 2013   #10
HellFishTat

This reminds me of the time one of my buddies put pipes on Valkerie. He fired it up and said.."that didn't come out like I'd hoped..." and he promptly put the stock cans back on. Flat 6 or V4, don't expect it to sound like a V2 or a V8. They're totally different animals
HellFishTat is offline   Reply With Quote