ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Lighting

Lighting Have you added High Intensity Display lights to your ST? Post a description and pictures here.

Old October 11th, 2008   #11
britman

Talking Headlight Modulator, Yes.

In over 120,000 miles of riding with a Kisan headlight modulator I have NEVER had anyone pull out / turn across me due to thinking I am flashing them to go ahead.

I have had people stop when they were about to pull out from a road on the right.

I don't follow cars with it on - why piss them off? When stopped at lights I turn it off - why piss off the person opposite.

It simply takes a little brain power to determine when to turn it on / when to turn it off.

In over 120,000 miles I have NEVER had an electrical problem.

Kisan is plug and play. Very easy to install.

Last edited by britman; October 12th, 2008 at 04:44 AM.
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008   #12
Rob

Default Re: Headlight Modulator, Yes or No?

Headlight modulators are one weapon in the battle for survival on the road. IMO, they are important. But they are not the only weapon.

In congested areas, or places where drivers are likely to pull out in front of you, the effect of modulators is dramatic. People drive less aggressively, more cautiously; they are aware of your presence. If more motorcycles used them, they might not be so effective.

Mine were purchased and installed four years ago. They install easily and have never been any electrical or mechanical trouble. The bike has 98K and never once has someone interpreted them as a signal to cut in front of me.

A lot of drivers are irritated by almost anything. Probably they would rather be irritated than be at fault for an injury accident.

More info about the Kisan model is posted on my site, here.

Last edited by Rob; October 12th, 2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old October 15th, 2008   #13
RIDERBUD

Hey, Buddy,

No -- I don't like headlight modulators and the handful of guys I ride with who have them don't like them either.

As they say in the MSF manual, and elsewhere, ride with highbeams on during daylight hours.

RiderBud
RIDERBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008   #14
HLNAZZ

I just put a Kissan Single Modulator on ONLY the left side headlight. Works great so far. I figure I'll only anger 1/2 the cagers (lol), and my left side high beam will be off 1/2 the time, making it last twice as long B4 installation--but seriously, IMHO I just think it's more obvious --and less irratating than modulating both lights-------Jay

07 ST1300
05 Silverwing
02 BMW K1200RS
96 BMW 1100RT
05 MINI COOPER CONV

Last edited by HLNAZZ; October 25th, 2008 at 09:27 PM.
HLNAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008   #15
winged_STer

I have had a set of Kisan's on my ST for about a year now. They ABSOLUTELY increase other drivers of your presence. I don't know about other areas of the country, but in Florida with all the older drivers it does draw attention. In my view, anything you can do to add any attention to yourself is a plus.

I assume I am invisible to others and ride accordingly. There are always instances where you have to rely on another driver seeing you. The modulators help in that area.

I do get the occasional driver pulling over assuming I am an emergency vehicle and others flashing their lights at me. Frankly, those are probably the ones that you need the Mods for in the first place. For every one of the drivers who may be irritated with them i can point a dozen times when I believed they saved my butt. I will continue to use them.
winged_STer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008   #16
mariowink

I had a headlight modulator on my 82 goldwing for a number of years with no electrical problems. When I rode with a buddy I turned it off as it was irritating in his mirror. If I followed another car for a while I turned it off. It helped when cars at intersections thought they could pull out in front of me and it made them stop. Some cars pulled over when I came up behind, thinking I was an officer of the law. Just as many times the car in front would slow down to below the speed limit so not to be "caught" speeding. That was irritating to me. Then there were the cage drivers who fixated on the modulating headlight and lost their focus on their driving. I do not have one on my current bike and I don't miss it. I wonder if a rider with a modulating headlight might lean on its percieved safety to much and relax their diligence in defensive driving. On time a very pretty girl pulled over on a side street thinking I was going to give her a ticket. I was kind and let her go with a warning.

Last edited by mariowink; October 20th, 2008 at 02:24 AM.
mariowink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008   #17
Deano
Donators

Thanks all, for your input.

I can see the answers are as varied as the heat (non)issue, the high speed (non)wobble and the seat (un)comfortablity.

A consense here seems to be whether you use a modulator or not, just be considerate!

I agree. We as motorcyclist have a duty to help clean up the misconceptions. To often we are seen as the aggressive ones. But safety of my beautiful pillion and myself come first.

My goal is to be seen!

deano

"Ain't nothing stoppin us now but the leavin' of it all"

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC (Sold)
2008 ST1300A "Scarlet" (Glory Red is the Fastest)
2008 Kaw C14 (Sold)
2003 ST1300 (RIP)
15 years in No Bike Land
1986 Nighthawk S (sold)
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008   #18
DickPeake
Super Moderator

Rep Power: 126 DickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura aboutDickPeake has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Headlight Modulator, Yes or No?

Here in the UK you are sooooo gonna get stopped and given a ticket if you put modulators on the headlights. It's the absolute preserve of the emergency services. You're just gonna get pulled over and pulled over and pulled over and ticket, ticket, ticket - driving license gone. I ride on low beam, often with yellow hi-viz jacket, fast and about 8,000 miles per year. I've had a certain amount of training at defensive riding. I really can't remember the last time any vehicle pulled out of a turning on me and caused me any sort of problem. Whoa - that's tempting fate - I'll leave the ST in the garage tomorrow, just to be sure! (Actually it's raining heavily so I'll take the car!) , Dick
DickPeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008   #19
piper180

Well I would like to thank al that put in info on this as it is hard to get others to see us. or see anyone else. I drive a Dodge Durengo RED and have had people turn in front of me and even had a lady make a right turn from a left #1 turn lane come across all 4 W/B lanes in front of me in the Dodge. Yes I hit her and was towing a trailer at the time. The first words out of her mouth I just did not see you, in the same breath she said you most have been speeding. Yes I was doing 20 in a 45 zone as I was going to turn right at the next intersection. I was a motor office for 12 years and had 2 wrecks, YES Red Lights, Blue Lights, Head Lights and Siren going still had them turn in front of me. I've been lucky lately I assume I'm invisible if I see someone I even think they could pull out in front of me I take evasive action then. Anything you can do to be seen is good but they still do not see you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
This question may bring some foaming at the mouth....kinda like asking "which oil". This last summer I has so many near misses, cages pulling out from the right, turning left infront, lane changes....."meep, meep...what, am I invisible"

I have considered a headlight modulator for several years. Comagination and Kisan are the two I'm aware of. There may be others.

So, I ask you......
  • Do you have one installed?
  • Model you picked and why?
  • "No way....wouldn't be caught dead with it on my bike" Why?
  • What other ways could be I be seen better?
piper180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008   #20
Bob K

I'll never own a motorcycle without a headlight modulator. The differences in motorists' reactions pre- and post-modulator were just too solid to ignore. Is a modulator a little annoying for other drivers? Perhaps. But "annoying" implies that they are paying attention to me, which lessens the possibility that they will kill me.

Driver distractions are only getting worse. I'll take any advantage I can get to stay alive.

The new generation Signal Dynamics modulator has multiple features that allow you to control when and how the modulator works: on/off, full power/reduced power, etc. It's a good choice if you want to control the modulator's condition.

Last edited by Bob K; October 21st, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote