ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Other

Other The catch-all location for all the other "farkles" that you've added.

Old May 26th, 2010   #1
easy1958

Default Trailer for my St1300

I have been pulling a trailer on my 2006 St1300 for about 12k of its 48k miles. The trailer was bought at a Myers store for $100 about 15 years ago. When I put it together it was very sloppy, after bolting it together, I then trued it square and welded the seams and cross-pieces together. It tracks very straight.

The first two pictures are the initial fabrication where I used a car top carrier to enclose the luggage and camping equipment. It is very light, although not easy to access or very waterproof. The third pix is the aluminum box I constructed. The box only has 1.2k miles. I changed from the original 8" tires to 12". The 12" are much heavier, but the 8" tires made me a bit nervous at speed (although - they have never given me reason to).

The third picture is also of my significant other (taking a picture of me and her 2006 Dyna)

On the rebuild, I used a grade too heavy of aluminum at first and the trailer made the front end of the bike a little light. I also think a break-in run with 40 to 60 mph winds, a huge Cee Bailey's windshield, running 85+ mph, and hundreds of tractor trailers had a something to do with it making the front end light.

I have changed the lid to a much lighter grade of aluminum, went to a National V-Shield and we will see how that does.

I have made the following modifications to my St1300. and would like to comment about each. some of these mods were done a couple of years ago - therfore my dimensions might be off: Cee Bailey's windshield (4+) keeps the rain off, seems to be impervious to bugs andd rocks. still hade back-pressure, still very noisy. Will see if I like the National better.

Sergeant seat, should have went with the Corbin, had Corbin on my Superhawk and liked it much better.

Two good mods were the turbo fuel pressure regulator and the wide angle stick on mirrors. Also have on grip puppies and lots of ram balls for gps and radar detector.

Two-brothers aluminum pipes are toooo noisy: they sound good in the parking lot, but way too noisy on the road.

MCL seat & handlebar risers. Driver footpeg lowerer's. Shad 52 box (highly reccomend). ByDawg tipover bars (highly reccomend). The trailer hitch is a DenRay (www.denray.com) .

I have been reading this site since 2006 and it has been very informative. And am looking forward to hearing your comments. I live in Boulder City, Nevada and this area has some of the best riding in the world. If any one is nearby I would be glad to give some good places to stay in or near Las Vegas.

Easy1958
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOX CANYON ROAD - NOV 29 2009.jpg (80.4 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg DOUGLAS PLANT 002.jpg (85.4 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg GOING TO PETRIFIED FOREST 2.jpg (86.4 KB, 234 views)
easy1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010   #2
Poppi
Donators

Default Re: Trailer for my St1300

Thanks for the write up. I like the looks of the first "set up" best. Does the spoiler in the second "set up" make a difference in performance? How much does the trailer reduce your gas mileage?

Pretty neat!

Dale
Poppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010   #3
easy1958

Thanks Poppi:

Gas mileage: depending on how hard and how much weight and hills can go down to 24 to 36.

The spoiler has been cut down height-wise and cost about $60 off e-bay. Purely for looks - I have a friend who wants to put cow horns on it now. But he's from Texas and you know how they are.

I have just attached the latest and greatest picture. Heading to Mesquite, Nevada on Friday afternoon and do a little exploring on some of the roads in southern Utah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer outside office - May 26, 2010.jpg (108.3 KB, 231 views)
Old May 26th, 2010   #4
zldrider
Chief Bottle-washer

That's SOME farkle you got there, Easy.

I'm not from TexASS but, I do like the Longhorn idea. ;-)
STOC# 929, IBA# 218

zldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010   #5
DaveG

Nice looking rig you have there. Here is what I have been towing lately. I also have the std 2 wheel cartopper, but have not had the need to pull it with the ST.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010   #6
easy1958

Interesting trailer, is there suspension on the back wheel?
Old May 27th, 2010   #7
Henry Jr

Very interesting "box". I don't have the skill set for that much fab work :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy1958 View Post
... The trailer hitch is a DenRay (www.denray.com) ...
I don't see any hitches at the site you listed. Adding a trailer is a thought that's been wandering around in the back of my mind for a while so I looked for the hitch.
Possibly here ?
http://www.produits-denray.com/eng/hitches.html
Henry Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010   #8
easy1958

Yes that is the website - sorry for the oversight.

easy1958
Old May 27th, 2010   #9
DaveG

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy1958 View Post
Interesting trailer, is there suspension on the back wheel?
Yes there is, I have been told by the folks that have been behind me that it works great too.

It is built out of a modified trailer torsion axle. So it is a single sided swing arm. LOL
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014   #10
GreenDagger

Mono-wheel trailer: very interested in adding one to ST1300 for two-up camping trips. Have seen articles for std frame mounted ball hitches on ST, but none on axle mount 2-way pivot mount for the single wheel trailer. DaveG, are you still out there?
GreenDagger is offline   Reply With Quote