ST1300.us.com  

Go Back   ST1300.us.com > Honda ST1300 Forums > Accessories & Modifications (Farkles) > Other

Other The catch-all location for all the other "farkles" that you've added.

Old July 3rd, 2016   #11
chaissos
Donators

Default Re: INNOVV 2-channel video camera

Keith, I don't have any experience with this particular unit failing.

The "made by motorcyclists, for motorcyclists" GPS I bought came with no OS (and no mapping program/data), so I had to figure that all out on my own - which I did. It worked OK, more or less, for a while, until it stopped turning on. I now use the SD card for something else - which really isn't worth the data storage.

The little GoPro knockoff I got works OK, however there's no option to overwrite data. My reason for the thing was in case of an accident, or any other legal reason. If it runs out of room, it just stops recording. You never know until you get it onto a computer if it recorded the incident you're interested in or not.

The details about the unit you listed sound really good. Overwrite, jar sensor to save a couple minutes video, etc.

For the front camera, I found that to be a problem, too. The fairing itself moves around a bunch down there. The wind buffets it and it just shakes. It's a mount problem, and I don't think anything you do will fix it as long as you're only mounting to the fairing. You have to get to a solid metal mount point somewhere.

Since the whole headlight assembly is really only secured by a couple bolts behind the mirrors (I know, there are a couple push-pins, too), you might want to consider mounting it up top, behind the windshield.
Old July 10th, 2016   #12
ibike2havefun

For those keeping score, here's an update on the front camera mount.

I have concluded, based on now-ample experimental evidence that the 3M double-sided adhesive pads simply are not robust enough to support the camera bodies if they are the only thing doing the job. The front camera was again dangling from its wire this morning. Since I forgot to check before leaving for a 200 mile ride, it is just as well that I had retracted the wire so that neither the camera, front wheel, brakes, bike, nor rider could come to grief because of my negligence.

Ligito suggested auto body panel adhesive pads; I may try that next. Otherwise the thing will probably find its way up onto the dash behind the windshield, which doesn't appeal to me but seems like the next best alternative. I am NOT going to start drilling holes unless and until I see absolutely no alternative.
Now to try to wear it out.

ibike2havefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016   #13
PaulRB
The Grouch

Rep Power: 92 PaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura aboutPaulRB has a spectacular aura about

I've had good luck with this.
EMM-900512 Permanent Automotive Attachment Tape.

Unlike the 3M attachment tape this has no foam between the tape layers.
It basically double side sticky tape that sticks extremely well to whatever and then whatever sticks extremely well to it.

Clean, clean, clean the surface of both where you are sticking it and what you are sticking to it.

Used to stick, permanently, emblems badges and the likes to cars.

https://www.amazon.com/EMM-Colad-EMM.../dp/B00B474VAS

You can check your local auto parts house, I think some China Mart (Walmart) also carry.

I live in the sun and heat.
The double stick tape with the foam in-between tape layers fails at the foam.
This stuff has no foam and sticks.
It's the only stuff I've found that that sticks to the brake/clutch master cylinder and stays stuck.
I use it to attach small zip tie holders to the master cylinder for routing wiring, cables and such. Oxford Heated Grip cables.
No real weight but they do get the occasional tug and remain stuck.

Paul
Old July 10th, 2016   #14
ibike2havefun

Thanks Paul. That sounds like exactly the stuff. I may swing by an auto body shop and see whether they'll cut me a foot or two; I sure don't need a whole roll just for this.

Old July 14th, 2016   #15
ibike2havefun

Default INNOVV 2-channel video camera - review

As promised, my review...

Summary: this appears to be a really useful product, and easy to use. I hope it lives up to its early promise for quite some time to come.

Iíve had my INNOVV K1 motorcycle camera installed and operating for long enough now to have a sense of what I like and what I wish were different. Before I get to that, though, letís go through the features and compare it to the other video camera I have, a GoPro Hero (original model).

Power Source
K1: Wires in to power supply on the bike (I connected mine to a switched circuit I added a couple years ago). Draws 2 amps or so.

Also includes internal battery to support recording for up to an hour when parked, if that feature is enabled

GoPro: Internal battery Ė not connected to bike power in any way. You must manage the battery charge all the time. Battery life per recharge limits the available recording time.

Start/stop
K1: Auto-starts recording when power is supplied to the DVR (on my install, this is when the key is turned); records continuously until bike is powered off. Includes a "park" feature that will continue recording for up to an hour afterward if enabled.

GoPro: Manual power on/off, manual start/stop recording

Channels
K1: 2

GoPro: How many cameras do you want to mount and deal with?

Recording media
K1: Micro-SD (Speed Class 10 or higher)

GoPro: SD

GPS
K1: Integrated- GPS included (but not a navigation system)

GoPro: No

Field of view
K1: 140 degrees (each channel)

GoPro: Depends on which housing you have

Audio recording sensitivity
K1: Low- virtually no audio on recordings

GoPro: High

K1: Cams mount where you put them; DVR lives under seat or in cradle that you can mount where you like

GoPro: Wherever you put it

Mounting Type
K1: L bracket to cam; attach bracket to bike with adhesives or bolt on depending on location; can also purchase accessory mounts (sold separately)

GoPro: RAM mount or GoPro adhesive-backed mount

Wiring
K1: Must route cables through bike frame

GoPro: None

Image stability
K1: Depends on where / how mounted

GoPro: Depends on where / how mounted

Resolution
K1: 1920 x 1080 HD (16:9 aspect ratio)

GoPro: 1080p HD; 1080 x 600

Disk space management
K1: Automatically records over oldest video segments unless they are marked to be saved, once disk is full

GoPro: Recording stops when media is full

Info embedding
K1: Automatically embeds cam #, GPS coords (if enabled and connected), speed (if GPS enabled and connected), date, time

GoPro: No info embedded in image

File naming
K1: Sequential, plus cam # and segment start time

GoPro: Sequential number

Segment duration
K1: Choose 1, 2, 5, or 10 minute segment lengths

GoPro: Continuous until recording is stopped

Auto-save files
K1: Files can be manually marked for retention; if the G-force sensor option is enabled, the DVR will automatically save the current segment when a shock is detected)

GoPro: No

Multi-purpose
K1: No- this unit is dedicated to use on the bike and not easily transplanted back and forth at a momentís notice

GoPro: Yes; as a wearable, mine goes SCUBA diving as well as motorcycling and zip lining with me

Weather resistance
K1: Cameras: yes; DVR: no. GPS: not much

GoPro: Yes, provided you have the solid back plate on the housing and not the slotted version.

Here's some sample footage to watch while you plow through my review...

YouTube video from the K1

And here is a video sample from the GoPro for comparison, if you like.

YouTube video from the GoPro

Some day I may take them both for a ride and mash up the footage into a single video. But not today.

Okay enough geeky tech stuff; letís get to the review.

I like it. A lot. It appears to be exactly everything I was looking for, for this purpose.

It appears to be well thought-out, and well-constructed. There are no obviously cheesy corners cut, and a lot of effort has gone into making it easy to install and use. What few things I didn't find immediately self-evident were covered on the INNOVV website.

It takes clear, watchable images and does it automagically with no thought or action required from me. (That in and of itself is worth the price of admission.) I donít have to remember to turn it on or off, or to start and stop recording.

It's not a wearable or a body camera; you are not going to move it around once you have it in place. That said, it's a matter of a few seconds to grab and detach the recorder unit so you can review or download footage.

The camera lenses can be easily and discreetly tucked away so they are out of obvious view; that coupled with the fact that they are hard-wired to the DVR (which lives under the seat) makes it easy for honest people to stay honest. Contrast that to solutions like the GoPro, which is as obvious as they get and just as easily removed.

Get the biggest media card you can (you have to choose and acquire your own; the unit does not ship with even a minimal placeholder), and make sure you get one in the proper speed class.

You are going to chew up a LOT of disk capacity in rapid fashion if you try to save every second of video you have captured. A 10 minute segment from the front camera is about 900MB; the rear channel (which records a a lower resolution) uses about 615 MB every 10 minutes.

Dial the G-force sensitivity down as far as you can, or you are going to get a LOT of short segments even if you have it set to record in 10 minute increments. Even small bike or road vibrations cause it to start new segments unless you have the sensitivity set fairly low.

Disable the lane change warning system; it isnít ready for prime time and will emit a nearly continuous stream of beeps on even a routine roll around the neighborhood. It sounds like someone is sending you Morse code while you ride.

Apart from getting the front camera to stay in place (see other posts in this thread) installation is simple and requires very few tools. Once the wires are tucked away or corralled, itís a reasonably clean result. It comes with a bunch of adhesive-backed plastic cable securers so that you can route the wiring neatly along the edges of the dashboard, fairings, etc.

Itís been a struggle to get the front camera to stay put. I am currently experimenting with 3M adhesive tape designed to secure badges and the like to car body panels. The pads shipped with the camera are not strong enough on their own to support the weight of the camera housings.

As a result, I have done some superficial damage to the front fender- there are scratches where there did not used to be any- and I have cracked the optional glass lens protective plate because the cam came loose during a ride and flopped around, but with any luck I have that sorted out now. If not, I may resort to one of the optional accessory mounts available from INNOVV.

Stick one of the adhesive pads to the bottom of the front camera if you are going to mount it underneath the nose of the fairing- it may provide a bit of cushion and padding in case they come in contact.

I recently compared video shot with the INNOVV against a video I shot last spring using my GoPro Hero. (See the video clips above.)

I traveled the same road (though in opposite directions) under similar weather and lighting conditions. Because the direction of travel was opposite it wonít be possible to do direct side-by-side split-screen comparisons, but I thought the image quality from the GoPro was marginally better than from the K1.

However, I could see reflections, dirt, and bugs on the windshield in the GoPro footage and none in the K1 video since it is not dash-mounted. All in all, itís probably a wash and your preference will be driven by your motivation to install and operate either one.

So, motivation: I was interested in the K1 more for forensic reasons than for creating entertainment ride-along videos for sharing on YouTube. I want to have a record when I get involved with an unfavorable interaction with another vehicle, or a deer, orÖ Once the novelty wears off it is likely that I will not even check the video between rides most of the time.

The GoPro was purchased for other reasons and has been pressed into occasional service while Iíve been riding. As often as not something goes wrong with it- I forget the media, the media are full, the battery is either discharged or dies while in use; I forget whether the camera is recording or not (and stop recording when I think Iím starting it etc.)

Last edited by ibike2havefun; July 15th, 2016 at 04:39 AM.